The Cricket Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by BitterTom »

Excellent batting from Broad, exactly what we needed and kept us in the game. Shame Pope couldn't reach his century but a joy to watch the other day. He'll be in the side a long, long time.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 6:44am
Excellent batting from Broad, exactly what we needed and kept us in the game. Shame Pope couldn't reach his century but a joy to watch the other day. He'll be in the side a long, long time.
Broad’s bowling not too bad either 😉

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Tom I hope you are doing the opposite of a rain dance (whatever that is)!!
What is the forecast for tomorrow, they probably need most of the day.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Laxman, though our chances of going to a Lancashire match this season are nonexistent, have you seen YouTube is putting up free streams of the county championship? From what I've seen all other counties are doing the same. Good to dip in and out of.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BitterTom wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 3:36am
Laxman, though our chances of going to a Lancashire match this season are nonexistent, have you seen YouTube is putting up free streams of the county championship? From what I've seen all other counties are doing the same. Good to dip in and out of.

Thanks Tom, I knew they were getting streamed but haven't seen too much yet, apart from Matt Parkinson's so called ball of the century. Lancs seem to have started he season well. The scores in a lot of the matches have been bizarre, from struggling to score any runs to massive partnerships, often in the space of one day.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

laxman wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 8:37am
BitterTom wrote:

Thanks Tom, I knew they were getting streamed but haven't seen too much yet, apart from Matt Parkinson's so called ball of the century. Lancs seem to have started he season well. The scores in a lot of the matches have been bizarre, from struggling to score any runs to massive partnerships, often in the space of one day.
Yeah been a funny one so far but better rather than worse. Did really enjoy that ball from Parkinson, hopefully he can keep his form up, would love to see a decent leg spinner in the test side.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BitterTom wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 5:24am
laxman wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 8:37am
BitterTom wrote:

Yeah been a funny one so far but better rather than worse. Did really enjoy that ball from Parkinson, hopefully he can keep his form up, would love to see a decent leg spinner in the test side.
I'm not sure he has played many County Championship matches yet, so hopefully he will gain experience. He definitely has something, he has done well in white ball cricket.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Wow, looking increasingly like Ireland going to beat England in the world cup this morning. Rained off and ahead on D/L just as Moann Ali was really getting going. Ireland players currently doing a rain dance in their dressing room.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Low Down Low wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 3:54am
Wow, looking increasingly like Ireland going to beat England in the world cup this morning. Rained off and ahead on D/L just as Moann Ali was really getting going. Ireland players currently doing a rain dance in their dressing room.
Laxwife is Irish, so I am already taking some stick! Well played Ireland, from what I saw it was fully deserved. Could have been an exciting finish if it hadn't rained. Ali, Livingstone and Curran aren't shy of hitting the ball.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

laxman wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 5:57am
Low Down Low wrote:
Laxwife is Irish, so I am already taking some stick! Well played Ireland, from what I saw it was fully deserved. Could have been an exciting finish if it hadn't rained. Ali, Livingstone and Curran aren't shy of hitting the ball.
Ah yeah, sure we all know England are only any good when they have an Irish captain ;)

Actually was a pity about the rain as it was looking like a real good finish. Moeen was really beginning to slap it around, guess he was looking at the rain clouds looming. Nice to watch some of these matches at breakfast, India and Pakistan the other day was absolutely epic.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Low Down Low wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 6:39am
laxman wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Ah yeah, sure we all know England are only any good when they have an Irish captain ;)

Actually was a pity about the rain as it was looking like a real good finish. Moeen was really beginning to slap it around, guess he was looking at the rain clouds looming. Nice to watch some of these matches at breakfast, India and Pakistan the other day was absolutely epic.
An Irish captain, or a South African or Kiwi etc!

A shame England left the acceleration a little too late but I think that credit has to go to the Irish bowlers. The leg spinner did a great job when they were itching to get at him.

Virat Kohli certainly lived up to his legendary status (in his own mind as well as others) the other night. Pakistan have the amazing ability to go from world beaters to poor village green standard, sometimes within minutes of each other.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

laxman wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 10:22am
Low Down Low wrote:
laxman wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

A shame England left the acceleration a little too late but I think that credit has to go to the Irish bowlers. The leg spinner did a great job when they were itching to get at him.

Virat Kohli certainly lived up to his legendary status (in his own mind as well as others) the other night. Pakistan have the amazing ability to go from world beaters to poor village green standard, sometimes within minutes of each other.
If snatching defeat from the jaws of victory was an Olympic event, then the Pakistan cricket team would be guaranteed gold medallists every 4 years. I'd love to see them meet again, if it's possible, the atmosphere at that match was phenomenal.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Low Down Low wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 6:08am
laxman wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
laxman wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

If snatching defeat from the jaws of victory was an Olympic event, then the Pakistan cricket team would be guaranteed gold medallists every 4 years. I'd love to see them meet again, if it's possible, the atmosphere at that match was phenomenal.
Absolutely. I saw a 50 overs one day match between the two at Old Trafford years ago and it was a great atmosphere.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

laxman wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 7:14am
Low Down Low wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 6:08am
laxman wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
laxman wrote:

Absolutely. I saw a 50 overs one day match between the two at Old Trafford years ago and it was a great atmosphere.
I've been to the odd sporting event that side of the world and it put the well-worn phrase a "nation of sports lovers' into perspective. And almost completely without the need for copious amounts of booze!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Now that's what you call a chase! Being honest I was half hoping for an India-Pakistan rematch but you simply can't argue with that and, even better for England, they won't be facing Ireland in the final :shifty: