The Cricket Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

oliver wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 8:52am
laxman wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 2:25am
101Walterton wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 5:52pm
Nothing beats this one

I was there. We were square on and thought Gatting was an idiot for missing a loosener! Then we saw the replay on the TV screens .....
I kind of miss the tubby middle-aged looking cricketers playing for England. Was Gatting the last England regular who looked like he'd struggle to run around the pitch?
Started reading your post thinking you were talking about pre plastic surgery Warne 😂

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

We really should be doing better. Fair play to NZ, they put on a fantastic display yesterday but England lost it the moment they threw away their 203-4. Test cricket is not being taken as seriously it feels.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 6:08pm
We really should be doing better. Fair play to NZ, they put on a fantastic display yesterday but England lost it the moment they threw away their 203-4. Test cricket is not being taken as seriously it feels.
Only a matter of time now. They play too much white ball cricket and don’t know how to play test matches.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

laxman wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 11:07am
oliver wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 10:08am
laxman wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 9:43am
Check out Rahkeem Cornwall who recently made his debut for the West Indies. He is a big unit!
Lovely stuff. I just watched a video where he retired "tired" :)
Not seen that. He can definitely play, good luck to him.
The big guy took 7 wickets today in the first innings of a Test match!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Oh dear, you would have thought Stokes would have learned from Buttler calling Philander a "fucking knobhead," and the reprisals he faced.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BitterTom wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 4:32pm
Oh dear, you would have thought Stokes would have learned from Buttler calling Philander a "fucking knobhead," and the reprisals he faced.

I'm impressed, I didn't know he could count.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:

Probably deserved it!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 4:46pm
BitterTom wrote:

Probably deserved it!
Supposedly someone in the crowd called him Ed Sheeran, so make what you will out of that..

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 4:48pm
101Walterton wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 4:46pm
BitterTom wrote:

Probably deserved it!
Supposedly someone in the crowd called him Ed Sheeran, so make what you will out of that..
😂

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Why Buttler is playing test cricket is beyond me. He is a great limited overs player but doesn't perform anywhere near to standard in tests. Foakes should easily be in his place.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BitterTom wrote:
25 Jan 2020, 8:20am
Why Buttler is playing test cricket is beyond me. He is a great limited overs player but doesn't perform anywhere near to standard in tests. Foakes should easily be in his place.
From what I have seen, Foakes is by far the best keeper out of him, Bairstow and Buttler, and his batting is pretty solid too. I think he should be the keeper when we are playing spinners, so in Sri Lanka and in India next Winter. Your best keeper is not quite so important when you are playing 5 seamers and the keeper isn’t being asked to stand up. If Bairstow sorts out his batting flaws then I think he will be the one they want in normal circumstances, and in the next Ashes for example. Buttler probably just needs one breakthrough innings. He hardly ever plays County cricket for Lancs, so he was definitely a bit of a hunch selection when they put him back in the Test team. His sledging is coming on nicely though ;)

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

My first memories watching cricket. Remember Donald's aggression vividly. This is what test matches are about, passion and excitement, fantastic to watch.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

I was there for this. England v West Indies. Old Trafford 1976. I think it was my first ever trip to a Test match. Absolutely brutal.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

laxman wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 5:57pm

I was there for this. England v West Indies. Old Trafford 1976. I think it was my first ever trip to a Test match. Absolutely brutal.
Similar feel to my clip.

Though a lot more dangerous, where are the helmets?! "He's hurt!" No bloody surprise!

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BitterTom wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 6:03pm
laxman wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 5:57pm

Similar feel to my clip.

Though a lot more dangerous, where are the helmets?! "He's hurt!" No bloody surprise!
Pre helmets. Both openers nearly 40 years old, basically thrown in there because they were tough and no-one else could hack it. From memory, Holding bowled overs, 8 maidens that evening. His run up was so long that he looked like he was kick starting off the sightscreen! They both survived through to stumps, but as soon as one of them was out in the morning they were all out.Search out the Oval test from that year. Last test of the series. The ground was parched, it was the hottest Summer for ages back then, water bans etc, and Holding took loads of wickets on a very fast pitch.