The Cricket Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by BitterTom »

laxman wrote:
25 Aug 2019, 10:23am
Definite lack of game awareness, the trouble is that they don’t play many such games, they mainly just play the one day stuff.
Yeah definitely. Not the way test cricket should be played, they just can't help themselves but it must just be natural for many of them given the amount of one days in the cricket calendar.

This session from Stokes is great to watch however.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

40 needed, no wickets in hand.

Couldn't actually do this could they?

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Oh my God

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Unbelievable. Not been that nervous watching a sports match for a long time. Jack Leach showed the game awareness we were talking about above, I think the Aussies lost theirs, giving a single right up to the 5th ball, but that innings by Stokes was history being created right in front of our eyes. He has been on a mission to make up for his horror shot in the first innings.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Fuuuuuuuck I slept through the whole thing. Unbelievable is the the highest 4th innings run chase and only made sweeter by an Aussie declaration 😂

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
25 Aug 2019, 3:39pm
Fuuuuuuuck I slept through the whole thing. Unbelievable is the the highest 4th innings run chase and only made sweeter by an Aussie declaration 😂
Not to rub it in but you missed a classic mate! Never thought a win was remotely possible. What a summer Stokes has had.

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

101Walterton wrote:
What Aussie declaration??? They didn’t declare in this test? 😂

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

topperville wrote:
25 Aug 2019, 4:34pm
101Walterton wrote:
😞 sorry got confused whilst waiting for Ashes to start last night they showed Mark Butchers test winning innings at Headingley from 2001 when England chased Aussie down after they dec.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
25 Aug 2019, 4:32pm
101Walterton wrote:
Not to rub it in but you missed a classic mate! Never thought a win was remotely possible. What a summer Stokes has had.
Was it 207 needed with 7 wickets? Was always possible but very unlikely. Listening to the commentators before (after showing the Butcher innings) they all said if someone could carry the bat England could do it. Stokes more than carried the bat!!!!!

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

101Walterton wrote:
25 Aug 2019, 4:45pm
topperville wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
😞 sorry got confused whilst waiting for Ashes to start last night they showed Mark Butchers test winning innings at Headingley from 2001 when England chased Aussie down after they dec.
If you want some sweetness back, think of Australia making a pointless review only to rue it a few balls later and then Lyon fumbling an easy run-out chance :)
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

oliver wrote:
25 Aug 2019, 9:47pm
101Walterton wrote:
25 Aug 2019, 4:45pm
topperville wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
If you want some sweetness back, think of Australia making a pointless review only to rue it a few balls later and then Lyon fumbling an easy run-out chance :)
Even sweeter I am in departure lounge about to board a flight to Sydney!!!!!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Looks like all could be over for Anderson's international career. Ruled out of the last Ashes matches, shame. Fantastic bowler though, put on some brilliant spells in his career.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BitterTom wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 7:29am
Looks like all could be over for Anderson's international career. Ruled out of the last Ashes matches, shame. Fantastic bowler though, put on some brilliant spells in his career.
I can see him playing home Tests only. If Archer continues to do well then Anderson could benefit from that by bowling in tandem with him; batsmen often get out at the opposite end from where they are struggling by making silly shots at that other end.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

laxman wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 8:08am
BitterTom wrote:
I can see him playing home Tests only. If Archer continues to do well then Anderson could benefit from that by bowling in tandem with him; batsmen often get out at the opposite end from where they are struggling by making silly shots at that other end.
Hoping this will be the case. Would be good to see his international career end on a higher note. That would be a fantastic bowling attack though

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BitterTom wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 11:39am
laxman wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 8:08am
BitterTom wrote:
Hoping this will be the case. Would be good to see his international career end on a higher note. That would be a fantastic bowling attack though
Archer, Anderson, Woakes, Stokes and an in form Ali would be a good home attack plus solid batting tail. Not sure Anderson and Broad in the same team will happen much in the future. Now just need some top order batsmen!