Do we have a podcast thread?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Do we have a podcast thread?

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 12:16am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 10:50pm
gkbill wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 4:31pm
Hello,

Sorry to respond so late but I haven't visited this thread before. There have been studies finding students do perform better academically when handwriting notes rather than collecting them on a laptop. The thinking is students will paraphrase ideas into their own words (and thus promoting understanding) rather than just type ideas word for word. This assumes an undergrad student is actually using a laptop in class to type notes rather than watch ESPN, Netflix, whatever. Online undergrad students will have a lecture on the laptop in front of them but they're open to any possible distraction ("Hey, how you doing? Yeah, I'm in class now watching a lecture. What's going on?"). Grad students are definitely more focused when participating online anecdotally speaking.
My oldest sister's technique was to rewrite her notes the evening after classes. I don't doubt the benefit of doing that, but yeesh what a lot of work.
Hello,

I would rewrite my notes to learn the minutia. I have 3 copies of my graduate physiology notebook for Dr. Ray Moss. It was worth the effort.
I found this to be an effective means of studying at times. As long as you're engaged to some degree in the writing

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 2:39pm
Silent Majority wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 10:06am

Here's me talking the classic Universal horror.
Listened to the first half hour or so yesterday and hope to listen to the rest in a bit. Kind of like the last time you shared one of these (both Mississippi Burning and Oliver Stone), I enjoyed listening to you—man, you've got a solid radio voice—but the others you participate try too hard at being edgy(?).

Also: https://thehardtimes.net/culture/podcas ... -ears-out/
Ah, thanks for the nice words.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

If folks are still looking for recommendations there's the lefty-legal-podcast-verse that began with Mic Dicta (https://soundcloud.com/micdicta) and branched out into ALAB (https://www.alabseries.com/), 5-4 (https://westwoodonepodcasts.com/pods/5-4/), and Hostile Witness (https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/hostile-witness)...bonus hockey podcast (https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/puck-bunnies). There are other podcast in a similar vein but I find most of them aren't of the same quality. The guy who does the Slow Burn podcast is affiliated with 5-4 (which is all about bad supreme court decisions). All worth enjoying if you're okay with being angry at how bad things are (and how they're probably getting worse, thanks RBG!).

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I guess I should post it here as I've been doing a podcast for a few weeks. If you're a soccer/football goalkeeper, goalkeeper coach, or head coach, you may be interested in catching some episodes of the Goalkeeper Roundtable. It's just a bunch of goalkeeper coaches sitting around talking about coaching goalkeepers and goalkeeping in general. It's on Anchor, Apple, Spotify, and probably somewhere else - I'm not sure. You might start with the episode with Anson Dorrance - that's a pretty fun one. The early ones deal with training during COVID and returning to play with limited numbers. It's intended for a limited audience for sure.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I didn’t want to start a new audiobook because Garth Marenghi comes out tomorrow, so I decided to check out Jello Biafra’s foray into the form. Started listening to his interview with muckraker Greg Palast on election fraud. Hoo-boy, same old Jello, same old Palast. Not to suggest they’re out to lunch or lying about right-wing efforts to deny certain peoples their vote, not at all, but they easily talk about how Democrats were all too happy to lose in 2000 or 2004 or 2016. Or that social media censors any talk about stolen elections (what?!?). It’s like Alex Jones on the other side of the spectrum. There’s sensible criticism that leans cynical and then there’s cartoonish conspiracy. Sigh.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 9:54am
I didn’t want to start a new audiobook because Garth Marenghi comes out tomorrow, so I decided to check out Jello Biafra’s foray into the form. Started listening to his interview with muckraker Greg Palast on election fraud. Hoo-boy, same old Jello, same old Palast. Not to suggest they’re out to lunch or lying about right-wing efforts to deny certain peoples their vote, not at all, but they easily talk about how Democrats were all too happy to lose in 2000 or 2004 or 2016. Or that social media censors any talk about stolen elections (what?!?). It’s like Alex Jones on the other side of the spectrum. There’s sensible criticism that leans cynical and then there’s cartoonish conspiracy. Sigh.
Interesting. I thought his YouTube videos didn't actually get into conspiratorialism much, if at all. Probably because they were mostly a little.shorter. I think Jello is naturally a guy whose brain is always firing and making connections and with the lon form he can't help but overreach.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 10:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Interesting. I thought his YouTube videos didn't actually get into conspiratorialism much, if at all. Probably because they were mostly a little.shorter. I think Jello is naturally a guy whose brain is always firing and making connections and with the lon form he can't help but overreach.
That's probably the most generous interpretation of his mind. Love the guy, he's fought the good fight for a long time, but not everything has a sinister explanation that is bound up in secret cabals.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Ive been listening to his talk with Mojo Nixon, Im finding it entertaining.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 2:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Ive been listening to his talk with Mojo Nixon, Im finding it entertaining.
That was alright, confined to less paranoid subject matter.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Speaking of the social ills of our digital times, I've really tried to re-jigger my podcast listening, particularly for current events and politics. The format of "group of pals talk [usually completely bullshit] politics/whatever and make you feel like you're their friends" feels increasingly gross and parasocial (except for Pex Lives, of course, that one is good and should make you feel good). When I listen to podcasts now I mostly try for stuff that's a bit more formal. Still have a few of the "sit around and bullshit" types in the rotation - I mean, especially when it's light subject matter - but increasingly I want operations that have, like, fact checkers and the ability to do verifiable research and shit like that. or at least people hosting who have genuine expertise in the thing they're talking about even if the pods aren't rigorous academic explorations every episode. I think it's part of the overall ecosystem along with social media where people are just building these self-reinforcing cocoons of alternative facts. I increasingly want no part in it.

It's like that old "is [brand] my friend?" joke except now the brand is whatever millionaire dirtbags are pumping grievance and anger into your brain while they suck patreon and substack dollars from you, all just so you can stay Extremely Online and pretend these people are your pals who you're having a fun time with.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 2:39pm
I think it's part of the overall ecosystem along with social media where people are just building these self-reinforcing cocoons of alternative facts. I increasingly want no part in it.
What's kind of curious about that—that is, people want firm meaning in their lives, even if it means filtering and fudging to confirm that—is it runs counter to the criticism of postmodernism that we live in a meaningless world that is all surface and sensation. Does the echo chamber nature of social media serve as a response to all that somehow? I have zero sense of that. The rage-of-the-day quality seems very postmodern, but the root of it does seem like a quest for meaning that confirms our existence. I dunno.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 3:39pm
Flex wrote:
I think it's part of the overall ecosystem along with social media where people are just building these self-reinforcing cocoons of alternative facts. I increasingly want no part in it.
What's kind of curious about that—that is, people want firm meaning in their lives, even if it means filtering and fudging to confirm that—is it runs counter to the criticism of postmodernism that we live in a meaningless world that is all surface and sensation. Does the echo chamber nature of social media serve as a response to all that somehow? I have zero sense of that. The rage-of-the-day quality seems very postmodern, but the root of it does seem like a quest for meaning that confirms our existence. I dunno.
I think Geraldo Rivera anchored his show on the murder of Jonbenet Ramsey for several years. I never watched but just remember channel flipping and going by him it seemed that was all he ever talked about. And there was that other guy who was always doing a show about the Clintons. What's the point? I dont know Im marinating some chicken breasts before I start grilling them.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 5:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
I think Geraldo Rivera anchored his show on the murder of Jonbenet Ramsey for several years. I never watched but just remember channel flipping and going by him it seemed that was all he ever talked about. And there was that other guy who was always doing a show about the Clintons. What's the point? I dont know Im marinating some chicken breasts before I start grilling them.
Who was that woman who had a legalesque show that was basically about murdered and missing blonde girls? Be afraid white America, especially you beautiful people!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 5:42pm
revbob wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 5:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Who was that woman who had a legalesque show that was basically about murdered and missing blonde girls? Be afraid white America, especially you beautiful people!
She had a shrill southern voice if I recall. Yeah the girl who got murdered in Aruba or wherever. Geraldo jumped on that bandwagon too.

Curiosity got the better of me. Nancy Grace.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/