Do we have a podcast thread?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Do we have a podcast thread?

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 2:06pm
Kory wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 2:03pm
I can't seem to get into podcasts. Any time I have for listening to something as opposed to watching it goes to music. I can't find the time for podcasts, even though many of them interest me.
i sort of wax and wane with podcasts - when i'm in a good groove running i'll listen to 'em and when i have a decent commute. I don't, like, sit around the house listening to podcasts since that's time I'd rather go into music or film (or whatever).
I listen to them a lot when doing housework, especially cooking and dishes.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 1:39pm
Pex Lives is great but the sons of bitches never update.
They peaked when they had that guy from the 80s podcast on.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 6:59pm
WestwayKid wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 9:45am
Do we? If so, disregard...if not...well...discuss/recommend your favorite podcasts!

I'm just listening to The Dollop episode that talks about New Jersey's infamous Action Park. It never stops being funny. This was actually the podcast that got me into podcasts. My sister - who shares my sometimes dark send of humor - recommended it and I was hooked. It's a good mix of weird history and dark humor.
Im curious about this having gone there as a kid/teen.
Did you get injured? The podcast makes it seem like it was a pretty dangerous place!

I really recommend the podcast. It's very funny (not just this episode).
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 1:02am
Flex wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 2:06pm
Kory wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 2:03pm
I can't seem to get into podcasts. Any time I have for listening to something as opposed to watching it goes to music. I can't find the time for podcasts, even though many of them interest me.
i sort of wax and wane with podcasts - when i'm in a good groove running i'll listen to 'em and when i have a decent commute. I don't, like, sit around the house listening to podcasts since that's time I'd rather go into music or film (or whatever).
I listen to them a lot when doing housework, especially cooking and dishes.
I listen while mowing the lawn and in a few weeks I'll be listening while I rake the leaves.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

For any Beach Boy fans...there is a really well done podcast called Sail On that I highly recommend.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 5:53pm
According to iTunes, I'm subscribed to a Pixies podcast, tho I've never listened to it. I've listened to the two iterations of Slow Burn, which were okay. I preferred the Watergate one because it went into a few of the less well-known facets of it. The Clinton one just left me furious at that asshole.
We started listening to the Watergate one, but never finished. My biggest problem with podcasts is that there are so many and my attention span tends to jump around - so I will start listening to one, but then I'll be drawn to another before I finish the one I already started.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 10:17am
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Do we? If so, disregard...if not...well...discuss/recommend your favorite podcasts!

I'm just listening to The Dollop episode that talks about New Jersey's infamous Action Park. It never stops being funny. This was actually the podcast that got me into podcasts. My sister - who shares my sometimes dark send of humor - recommended it and I was hooked. It's a good mix of weird history and dark humor.
Did you get injured? The podcast makes it seem like it was a pretty dangerous place!

I never got hurt but I seem to recall at least 3 deaths that happened there.

1 in the wave pool, 1 on the race cars, 1 on the alpine slide and I think there was a drowning or electrocution of some sort too.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 10:20am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
According to iTunes, I'm subscribed to a Pixies podcast, tho I've never listened to it. I've listened to the two iterations of Slow Burn, which were okay. I preferred the Watergate one because it went into a few of the less well-known facets of it. The Clinton one just left me furious at that asshole.
We started listening to the Watergate one, but never finished. My biggest problem with podcasts is that there are so many and my attention span tends to jump around - so I will start listening to one, but then I'll be drawn to another before I finish the one I already started.
I listen to audiobooks when I exercise, so my chief problem with podcasts is that I don't want to break stuff up. So I'll wait until something is done and then listen to it. But listening for an hour, then switching to something else for a week or whatever is too disruptive.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 10:26am
WestwayKid wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

1 in the wave pool, 1 on the race cars, 1 on the alpine slide and I think there was a drowning or electrocution of some sort too.
According to the podcast - there were 6 deaths! 1 on the alpine slide, the electrocution on the kayak ride, 3 drownings in the wave pool (or as the staff called it, The Grave Pool) and then some dude had a heart attack after doing the Tarzan Swing because the water was too cold.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 10:30am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I listen to audiobooks when I exercise, so my chief problem with podcasts is that I don't want to break stuff up. So I'll wait until something is done and then listen to it. But listening for an hour, then switching to something else for a week or whatever is too disruptive.
This is why I've been delaying releasing my fiction podcast. It isn't a finished audiobook and because of that the listener might get lost in the details of a mystery (which you have to pay attention to even when reading). So, I don't know. The more I research the more I learn that a lot of people don't listen to fiction pods.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 10:56am
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

According to the podcast - there were 6 deaths! 1 on the alpine slide, the electrocution on the kayak ride, 3 drownings in the wave pool (or as the staff called it, The Grave Pool) and then some dude had a heart attack after doing the Tarzan Swing because the water was too cold.
I thought for sure someone flipped one of the mini Indy cars and died, probably just was maimed for life.

The wave pool was insane and yeah I understand how people would drown in there. If you were in the deep end it could get rough people would try to climb up the ladders to get out and get pulled back in.

The alpine slide was nuts and people were always jumping off the track and crashing.

The heart attack yeah if you were there on a hot summer day and went into 50 to 60 degree water that's a huge shock to the body.

The place was fun as fuck though.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 12:22pm
WestwayKid wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
revbob wrote:

I thought for sure someone flipped one of the mini Indy cars and died, probably just was maimed for life.

The wave pool was insane and yeah I understand how people would drown in there. If you were in the deep end it could get rough people would try to climb up the ladders to get out and get pulled back in.

The alpine slide was nuts and people were always jumping off the track and crashing.

The heart attack yeah if you were there on a hot summer day and went into 50 to 60 degree water that's a huge shock to the body.

It apparently still exists in modified form, though I'm assuming it is far safer. There are some video clips of the alpine slide online and wow - it looked crazy. They mention on the podcast that they painted the bottom of the pool (I think the pool with the Tarzan Swing) white so it would be easier to locate bodies.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 12:50pm
revbob wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 12:22pm
WestwayKid wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

It apparently still exists in modified form, though I'm assuming it is far safer. There are some video clips of the alpine slide online and wow - it looked crazy. They mention on the podcast that they painted the bottom of the pool (I think the pool with the Tarzan Swing) white so it would be easier to locate bodies.
No that would be the wave pool. The Tarzan swing and the Canonball were fresh water springs as I recall and you couldn't see the bottom but only 1 person could go at a time so if there was a problem you would know it.

Back to the wave pool if you're painting the bottom white so the dead/dying bodies stand out better maybe you need to rethink the whole idea.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 12:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 10:30am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
This is why I've been delaying releasing my fiction podcast. It isn't a finished audiobook and because of that the listener might get lost in the details of a mystery (which you have to pay attention to even when reading). So, I don't know. The more I research the more I learn that a lot of people don't listen to fiction pods.
That could work, in the same way that serialized fiction works, but you'd have to write/perform in a way you wouldn't necessarily just straight out writing. Cliffhangers have to be put in place to make people want to come back, plus each installment has to recap key points in some manner. It's a neat challenge for writing, tho, because it assumes a distracted audience rather than a devoted reader.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Mimi wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 12:07pm
Not that I really consider myself the norm but for a fiction podcast I would skip right past unless:
1) episodes less than 30 minutes long
2) if over 30 minutes, no more than 6 in total

Unless of course your story incorporates some Phil Collins fan fiction then all bets are off.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps