Do we have a podcast thread?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Do we have a podcast thread?

Post by Silent Majority »

Mimi wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 7:40am
Do you guys put your pod on soundcloud and youtube and other sites?
No, but that's pretty standard nowadays. It wasn't when we started.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

New episode of our podcast for the first time in ages. Ghostbusters 2. http://www.matchmadeinspace.com/blog/20 ... tbusters-2
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 1:11pm
New episode of our podcast for the first time in ages. Ghostbusters 2. http://www.matchmadeinspace.com/blog/20 ... tbusters-2
ah yes, the "what age group likes GII and what age group is disappointed by it" convo. good stuff, i won't be able to listen to the whole thing in one sitting, but i'm enjoying it (despite being a millennial and like GII)
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 1:49pm
Wolter wrote:
ah yes, the "what age group likes GII and what age group is disappointed by it" convo. good stuff, i won't be able to listen to the whole thing in one sitting, but i'm enjoying it (despite being a millennial and like GII)
I acknowledge that people do like it and most of them are younger than me.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 2:09pm
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Yeah, you referenced a twitter convo you had about it and I assumed you meant the one we had (although you may have had many)
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 6:59pm
Wolter wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 2:09pm
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Yeah, you referenced a twitter convo you had about it and I assumed you meant the one we had (although you may have had many)
It probably was that one. Although I feel like I had several.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Attention, podcasty people. Is there special software that you recommend for doing these things (on a Mac)? It seems likely that my school will be cancelling in-person classes before the term is up (three weeks to go), so I told my students that if/when that happens, I'll do the lectures at home and upload the file for them. What would be even better is if I can incorporate images and videos. My lectures always have a slideshow of some kind that I'd like to build into the recording, but at worst I can just tell students when to move on to the next picture. Thanks in advance!
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 2:11pm
Attention, podcasty people. Is there special software that you recommend for doing these things (on a Mac)? It seems likely that my school will be cancelling in-person classes before the term is up (three weeks to go), so I told my students that if/when that happens, I'll do the lectures at home and upload the file for them. What would be even better is if I can incorporate images and videos. My lectures always have a slideshow of some kind that I'd like to build into the recording, but at worst I can just tell students when to move on to the next picture. Thanks in advance!
Are you talking digital audio workstation to record and edit audio? Then just go with Audacity.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 3:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Are you talking digital audio workstation to record and edit audio? Then just go with Audacity.
I'm wondering if there's something that can somehow incorporate video or images? So when I mention, say, Jello Biafra, a picture pops up of Jello. It'd be a video file rather than audio, I guess.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 3:25pm
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm wondering if there's something that can somehow incorporate video or images? So when I mention, say, Jello Biafra, a picture pops up of Jello. It'd be a video file rather than audio, I guess.
Unless someone knows better, what I've done is record the audio, edit it, upload it to a video editor and adding an image. It works the same as a video without the moving parts. Can't you just skype?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 3:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Unless someone knows better, what I've done is record the audio, edit it, upload it to a video editor and adding an image. It works the same as a video without the moving parts. Can't you just skype?
Okay, so I'd need two apps. That's no problem—just curious whether there was an all-in-one thing. Thanks for the assist!

I don't see a real value in Skyping this, even if the logistics can be worked out (and IT will be overworked if/when in-person classes are suspended). I figured uploading a file of each lecture lets students listen on their own time. If there are questions, they could email me and I'd respond with a group email.

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 3:45pm
Mimi wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 3:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Okay, so I'd need two apps. That's no problem—just curious whether there was an all-in-one thing. Thanks for the assist!

I don't see a real value in Skyping this, even if the logistics can be worked out (and IT will be overworked if/when in-person classes are suspended). I figured uploading a file of each lecture lets students listen on their own time. If there are questions, they could email me and I'd respond with a group email.
Does your school already offer e-learning classes? If so they probably already have software for faculty to use. We use Blackboard, in which you can set up a virtual classroom that allows you to upload stuff (including video, audio & images), do real-time instruction via video, and online chat. We're going to all-online classes for spring quarter beginning the week-after-next (today's the last day of winter quarter) so all faculty are gonna have to teach remotely. It's a steep learning curve since less than half of the faculty have ever taught online or used Blackboard before.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

I just lost an entire episode of our Grey’s Anatomy podcast and now I have to fucking talk about that stupid show again.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JoseUnidos wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 4:07pm
Does your school already offer e-learning classes? If so they probably already have software for faculty to use. We use Blackboard, in which you can set up a virtual classroom that allows you to upload stuff (including video, audio & images), do real-time instruction via video, and online chat. We're going to all-online classes for spring quarter beginning the week-after-next (today's the last day of winter quarter) so all faculty are gonna have to teach remotely. It's a steep learning curve since less than half of the faculty have ever taught online or used Blackboard before.
We used to use Blackboard here but thankfully replaced it. Godawful piece of shit software hated by instructors and students alike. Utterly non-intuitive.

That said, yeah, I know they offer help for doing video teaching and all that futurific stuff, but it's late in the term now, and they're going to be overrun with requests, I'm sure.

It's going to be weird lecturing and not seeing a sea of young faces staring at their phones …

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Found out informally that tomorrow's the last day of in-person classes, so my podcast strategy's going to be tested. But the Boss thinks that you can record audio thru Powerpoint and tell it when to change slides. So if you play the Powerpoint file afterwards, you can just let it run and all the slides will be automated. I'll be digging into that possibility this weekend.