The Kaleb Horton Deceased Estonian Trade Minister Thread, 2020 edition

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Kaleb Horton Deceased Estonian Trade Minister Thread, 2020 edition

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 10:00am
WestwayKid wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 9:17am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 8:56am
The best and only Bond and possessor of an amazing voice.
My dad is a James Bond fan and he started watching the movies with me when I was a kid. I became a big James Bond fan myself. I just finished catching myself up on some of the newer continuation Bond novels and in my head the Bond on the page was Sean Connery. When I was reading Bond’s words they were in Sean Connery’s voice. This is a celebrity death that really makes me sad.
I never thought of this as I've read the books—that is, I wasn't aware of it—but it's true for me, too.
I just finished "Solo" and while I actually tried to picture Bond as Daniel Craig because he's the current cinematic 007...I always reverted to Connery. I like Craig, I think he's the 2nd best Bond...but Connery is just so damned iconic. I once read a quote written about the difference between Connery and Roger Moore and I'm sure I'm messing it up, but the gist was that in a tough situation you knew Moore's Bond would probably try getting off with a quip, but Connery's Bond was going to fuck someone up. The literary Bond wasn't the glib Bond of Moore or Brosnan. He was not a pretty boy. He was a tough burned out killer who maybe had enough left in the tank for one more mission.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 11:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
My dad is a James Bond fan and he started watching the movies with me when I was a kid. I became a big James Bond fan myself. I just finished catching myself up on some of the newer continuation Bond novels and in my head the Bond on the page was Sean Connery. When I was reading Bond’s words they were in Sean Connery’s voice. This is a celebrity death that really makes me sad.
I never thought of this as I've read the books—that is, I wasn't aware of it—but it's true for me, too.
I just finished "Solo" and while I actually tried to picture Bond as Daniel Craig because he's the current cinematic 007...I always reverted to Connery. I like Craig, I think he's the 2nd best Bond...but Connery is just so damned iconic. I once read a quote written about the difference between Connery and Roger Moore and I'm sure I'm messing it up, but the gist was that in a tough situation you knew Moore's Bond would probably try getting off with a quip, but Connery's Bond was going to fuck someone up. The literary Bond wasn't the glib Bond of Moore or Brosnan. He was not a pretty boy. He was a tough burned out killer who maybe had enough left in the tank for one more mission.
The comparison isn't quite right, but Moore's Bond is like an Agatha Christie detective while Connery's is one of Philip Marlowe's guys.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
This is why Craig has been the best Bond thus far for me. He's grittier and more on the edge which brings better realism for the role. Connery was great also but Moore was just smarmy and jokey just like his roles in The Saint and The Persuaders. The Clash got it spot on with "One Emotion".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 7:29am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The comparison isn't quite right, but Moore's Bond is like an Agatha Christie detective while Connery's is one of Philip Marlowe's guys.
Moore suffered from being Bond in the 70's and into the 80's. He was really good when he was given decent material. For Your Eyes Only is one of my favorite Bond films, but too often he got really jokey scripts. I also liked The Spy Who Loved Me, but then he also did A View to A Kill and Moonraker.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 9:54am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
This is why Craig has been the best Bond thus far for me. He's grittier and more on the edge which brings better realism for the role. Connery was great also but Moore was just smarmy and jokey just like his roles in The Saint and The Persuaders. The Clash got it spot on with "One Emotion".
I did like Dalton, but he wasn't around long enough to establish himself in the role. His Bond was pretty dark. Craig is really excellent.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 12:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I did like Dalton, but he wasn't around long enough to establish himself in the role. His Bond was pretty dark. Craig is really excellent.
Wish he did at least a couple more, Dalton is my favourite.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BitterTom wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 1:50pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I agree. Would have been cool to see him develop the role a bit more. Seems he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time in regards to where the series was.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Yeah I feel he gives the character a recklessness missing from the others.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I find Craig boring as fuck in anything Ive seen him in. He nearly ruined Knives Out with his ever changing and unnecessary accent.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 6:58pm
I find Craig boring as fuck in anything Ive seen him in. He nearly ruined Knives Out with his ever changing and unnecessary accent.
Our Friends In the North
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 7:32pm
revbob wrote:
Our Friends In the North
Does he suck in that and fuck up the accent too?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 7:39pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Our Friends In the North
No, the opposite. It's apparently hard to do the Geordie accent but I thought he nailed it. Great acting too from the whole ensemble.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 1:53pm
BitterTom wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 1:50pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I agree. Would have been cool to see him develop the role a bit more. Seems he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time in regards to where the series was.
The end of the Cold War really fucked the Bond series up a bit.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 8:32pm
revbob wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 7:39pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Our Friends In the North
No, the opposite. It's apparently hard to do the Geordie accent but I thought he nailed it. Great acting too from the whole ensemble.
Brilliant series got the box set.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

David Niven was the best Bond.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.