MLB 2020

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2020

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 6:21pm
tepista wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 4:18pm
the Rays are starting 9 left handed bats today, 1st time in MLB history
This would mean more if they were still the Devil Rays.
Sinister!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

never been so proud
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

the proposal to make the the expanded 16 team playoffs is abhorrent. I'm not sure it's hyperbolic to suggest this kills baseball as we understand it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 11:41am
the proposal to make the the expanded 16 team playoffs is abhorrent. I'm not sure it's hyperbolic to suggest this kills baseball as we understand it.
Participation trophies for all, everyone is a winner in the "New" MLB.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 12:10pm
Flex wrote:
I'll probably still watch but the degree that I'd care would drop considerably. Playing 162 games, winning 100 of them, and getting dumped in a best of 3 by a team that won 80—yeah, that gives me a reason to be invested. Everyone would marvel the first time a WS winner finished under .500 in the regular season.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 12:29pm
revbob wrote:
Flex wrote:
I'll probably still watch but the degree that I'd care would drop considerably. Playing 162 games, winning 100 of them, and getting dumped in a best of 3 by a team that won 80—yeah, that gives me a reason to be invested. Everyone would marvel the first time a WS winner finished under .500 in the regular season.
Yeah what is this fucking hockey or something?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 12:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Flex wrote:
God, when I was a kid, the NHL was such a joke. Play 80 games to find out which 3 teams aren't good enough for the postseason. Expanding the playoffs is just an excuse to not build an exceptional team. Why win 100 games when 85 is good enough?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 12:47pm
revbob wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 12:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Flex wrote:
God, when I was a kid, the NHL was such a joke. Play 80 games to find out which 3 teams aren't good enough for the postseason. Expanding the playoffs is just an excuse to not build an exceptional team. Why win 100 games when 85 is good enough?
Speaking of the NHL. If the playoffs are happening now when the season is usually getting started (NBA too), will they start a new season soon after, wait til spring or take a year off?

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I'm Ok with expanding the playoffs to the top 13 teams per league for this year only.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex

Post by Flex »

tepista wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 1:37pm
I'm Ok with expanding the playoffs to the top 13 teams per league for this year only.
Yeah, it makes sense this year because it's such an abbreviated season. But that's it.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 1:42pm
tepista wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 1:37pm
Yeah, it makes sense this year because it's such an abbreviated season. But that's it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

When I was a kid, I was an average athlete. Better than most in running, below par for arm strength. During the annual school track and field day, I was usually good for several 2nd and 3rd place ribbons, the occasional first. Anyway, one year they went full "everyone wins" and had ribbons all the way to like 8th place. Better yet, the night before, I pulled a hamstring or some kind massive cramp and couldn't move without limping. But because I didn't have a doctor's note, they still made me participate in all the events (yay, thoughtful teachers). And I finished last in everything and in the Year of Everyone Wins a Ribbon, I got nothing. In essence, I was the 2020 Red Sox.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 2:10pm
When I was a kid, I was an average athlete. Better than most in running, below par for arm strength. During the annual school track and field day, I was usually good for several 2nd and 3rd place ribbons, the occasional first. Anyway, one year they went full "everyone wins" and had ribbons all the way to like 8th place. Better yet, the night before, I pulled a hamstring or some kind massive cramp and couldn't move without limping. But because I didn't have a doctor's note, they still made me participate in all the events (yay, thoughtful teachers). And I finished last in everything and in the Year of Everyone Wins a Ribbon, I got nothing. In essence, I was the 2020 Red Sox.
Did your luxury tax reset at least?

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 2:10pm
You're always a winner to me.