MLB 2020

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2020

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Reminded of this today. Still hilarious.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It would seem that the Rays' ownership is pushing this batshit idea that they'll be playing some of their home games in Montreal. Why does this matter? Because it means that revbob and I will meet and arm (maybe thumb) wrestle and drink beer (that we will judge as possum piss) while watching a Rays-Yankees game. And he will cry like a toddler when the Rays win. And I will point and laugh, which will be caught on film and I will post here.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 9:31pm
It would seem that the Rays' ownership is pushing this batshit idea that they'll be playing some of their home games in Montreal. Why does this matter? Because it means that revbob and I will meet and arm (maybe thumb) wrestle and drink beer (that we will judge as possum piss) while watching a Rays-Yankees game. And he will cry like a toddler when the Rays win. And I will point and laugh, which will be caught on film and I will post here.
I’ll drive five hours if you two will include a visit to the Montreal Pool Room and Grumpy’s Pub.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 1:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I’ll drive five hours if you two will include a visit to the Montreal Pool Room and Grumpy’s Pub.
Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 7:08am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Oh I'll be there, but I'll not be crying nor can I be captured on film.

But seriously yeah Im in and Id even go watch the Rays crush the Boston Cheater Sox.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 10:56am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

But seriously yeah Im in and Id even go watch the Rays crush the Boston Cheater Sox.
We will confirm to the Frenchies that Anglos aren't worth it, even when they're spending money!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 1:20pm
revbob wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 10:56am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

We will confirm to the Frenchies that Anglos aren't worth it, even when they're spending money!
Well they will like my money now. During that brief period in the 2000s when the exchange rate was not favorable Canadians couldn't tell me fast enough that my money was no good. I literally had people tell me that as soon as I walked into a store or pulled into a gas station.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Tony Fernandez in an induced coma due to kidney disease: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/ ... -1.5448982

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/02/ ... dgers.html
Adieu, Mookie, and, um, David. Crazy fun player to watch, but borrowing from Branch Rickey, better to trade a year too early than a year too late. And the contract he'll command as a free agent is going to be massive and probably rough at the back end of the deal. Take what you can get now and move on. Still, one more reason why this season ain't shaping up to be fun.

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 10:32pm
Adieu, Mookie, and, um, David. Crazy fun player to watch, but borrowing from Branch Rickey, better to trade a year too early than a year too late. And the contract he'll command as a free agent is going to be massive and probably rough at the back end of the deal. Take what you can get now and move on. Still, one more reason why this season ain't shaping up to be fun.
I mean half of my thought that part of the trade was to dip back down under the luxury tax to reset the penalties to resign Mookie in the 2020 offseason. Mookie has made things plenty clear that he knows this is a business - I imagine part of the conversation might have been around gauging his willingness to return to the Sox if he was traded. Now if Henry is holding the line at 10/300, nothing is going to happen. But if 10/350 ends up being in the conversation after the luxury tax is reset (and now that Price is off the books it could be) we can at least make a competitive pitch. Now someone desperate for a title with a lot of money could come in at his 12/420 asking price but...he gets that if 2020 is a repeat of 2018. If it looks more like 2019, that's maybe a harder pill for teams to swallow.

As for Price, thanks for the 2018 WS David but I never really wanted you here, especially for $1M a start. Never got the feeling you belonged in Boston and not at all sad to see you go.

Curious to see the prospect return as well as how much of Price's contract we have to eat. That'll determine how I feel about this. Think we're solidly third or fourth in the division as a result of this trade and definitely out of the running for the playoffs. Let's hope we can find a decent manager as well. As this point I think the smart move is just give Roenicke the caretaker role for a season.

edit: 2020 offseason, not 2021. Also hearing we ate half of Price's contract which...seems like too much for the return we're getting. Guessing there is a big mandate to cut payroll so John can buy Liverpool another title.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

The head understands, but the heart is sad.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Boddington wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 10:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 10:32pm
I mean half of my thought that part of the trade was to dip back down under the luxury tax to reset the penalties to resign Mookie in the 2020 offseason. Mookie has made things plenty clear that he knows this is a business - I imagine part of the conversation might have been around gauging his willingness to return to the Sox if he was traded. Now if Henry is holding the line at 10/300, nothing is going to happen. But if 10/350 ends up being in the conversation after the luxury tax is reset (and now that Price is off the books it could be) we can at least make a competitive pitch. Now someone desperate for a title with a lot of money could come in at his 12/420 asking price but...he gets that if 2020 is a repeat of 2018. If it looks more like 2019, that's maybe a harder pill for teams to swallow.
The more important part about the luxury tax reset, I imagine, is about avoiding draft penalties. The Red Sox make an absurd of money regardless, but all that money can't generate young players if the power to draft is crippled by luxury tax penalties. And eventually that catches up to even the best teams. I'd be surprised if the Sox don't make a competitive offer to Mookie in the off-season, but if it's not to his liking, he would have been gone anyway.
As for Price, thanks for the 2018 WS David but I never really wanted you here, especially for $1M a start. Never got the feeling you belonged in Boston and not at all sad to see you go.
That's me entirely. The contract was stupid high for a guy whose thin skin didn't fit the market, plus he was too much of an ass for me to ever cheer for (see Lackey and Beckett).
Curious to see the prospect return as well as how much of Price's contract we have to eat. That'll determine how I feel about this. Think we're solidly third or fourth in the division as a result of this trade and definitely out of the running for the playoffs. Let's hope we can find a decent manager as well. As this point I think the smart move is just give Roenicke the caretaker role for a season.
It was almost certainly going to be third place this year anyway unless the Yankees and Rays planes collide in the air. Which is another reason I'm okay with trading Mookie. His subtraction probably won't have a meaningful effect on the standings.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ugh, a discussion on SoSH about Verdugo, the guy coming over from the Dodgers, and him being present at a sexual assault on a minor: https://highheelsonthefield.typepad.com ... mined.html

Trading Mookie, I get, but replacing him with a shitbag, on top of the crap that got Cora canned, yeah, this is shaping up to be a season where I largely tune out.