MLB 2020

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: MLB 2020

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 5:56pm
revbob wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 5:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 5:17pm
tepista wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 4:42pm
Curt, Goose, the challenge is to you.
Its hard to beat but Curt can do it. Gossage is just gonna P&M about how modern era players are pussies.
Goose still has a sense of honour. You can be a bigot, but dress it up in semi-deniable language. These young guys with their open awful.
Yeah Im not playing favorites but I can say as a kid I thought he was fucking awesome. Sparky Lyle was on the decline when the Yanks picked him up and I remember watching him pitch. As a kid and a little league pitcher who dreamed of being a pro he and Guidry were an inspiration. For whatever reason my coach didn't start me much but brought me in after the regular guys fucked up so I identified with that shit. I loved coming in and shutting shit down.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 6:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 5:56pm
revbob wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 5:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 5:17pm
tepista wrote:
Curt, Goose, the challenge is to you.
Its hard to beat but Curt can do it. Gossage is just gonna P&M about how modern era players are pussies.
Goose still has a sense of honour. You can be a bigot, but dress it up in semi-deniable language. These young guys with their open awful.
Yeah Im not playing favorites but I can say as a kid I thought he was fucking awesome. Sparky Lyle was on the decline when the Yanks picked him up and I remember watching him pitch. As a kid and a little league pitcher who dreamed of being a pro he and Guidry were an inspiration. For whatever reason my coach didn't start me much but brought me in after the regular guys fucked up so I identified with that shit. I loved coming in and shutting shit down.
Oh sure. I didn't see him pitch much, being in Canada and so most of the tv coverage was NL Expos games, but he was a stud of a reliever, back when they might pitch three innings. And that magnificent moustache.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Steve Carlton would like to raise you one tinfoil hat.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 7:04pm
He's so crazy that he's probably missed the last 20 years, living in a bunker 200 feet below the earth, where there is no electronic media because that's how They can spy on you.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 7:04pm
Talented but I always thought he was a dick.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
Is this why???

This archbishop has become the first African American cardinal in Catholic history

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/11/27/worl ... index.html

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Two funny stories from an Athletic piece on Jim Leyland stories:
Gary Varsho watched from the bench one night in June 1992 as the Montreal Expos rolled up a 9-0 lead on the Pirates. In the ninth inning, after Steve Buechele drew a one-out walk, Leyland sent Varsho into the game as a pinch runner.

“So I go out there, and it’s (three) pitches, inning over,” Varsho said. “I come back into the dugout and ask if he wants me to stay in the game. Jim goes, ‘Fuck, no.’ I sit down, but I didn’t get it.”

The next day, Varsho was still peeved. Leyland walked up to him during batting practice.

“Jim goes, ‘You’ve got (contract) incentives, don’t you? Games (played) incentives?’ I did, but I still didn’t understand what he was getting at,” Varsho said. “He goes, ‘Well, you’re going to make $20,000 with that appearance. Now, your next incentive is probably a ways away and if I keep doing this shit, my ass will be fired.

“‘But, last night, I figured you’d fucking earned it.’”
Three days after the Marlins clinched a wild-card berth in 1997, they traveled to Philadelphia for their final regular-season series of the year. Late in the series opener, Marlins reliever Antonio Alfonseca served up a home run and responded by plunking Philly’s prized rookie Scott Rolen square in the back.

Leyland assumed the Phillies would retaliate. And he didn’t want to risk an injury just days before the playoffs.

He looked down the Veterans Stadium dugout and saw utilityman John Wehner.

“Hey, Rock,” Leyland yelled. “You’re leading off next inning.”

As Curt Schilling warmed up for the Phillies, Wehner asked if Leyland was serious.

“Yeah … and you’d better wear a two-flap helmet,” Leyland said. “You might want to take your catching gear with you, too.”

Schilling’s first pitch was inside and tight. The second one zoomed behind Wehner, and home plate umpire Wally Bell warned both teams.

The next pitch nailed Wehner in the ribs.

“After the game, Leyland asked me if I was all right,” Wehner said. “He said, ‘Go out and buy yourself a nice $2,000 suit or something.’ I told him I don’t wear those kinds of clothes, so he could just give me $2,000.”

A few weeks ago, Leyland and Wehner were golfing at Oakmont Country Club when Leyland told this story to the rest of the foursome.

“I told him that he still owes me that $2,000,” Wehner said. “Jim just looked at me and said, ‘I got you a fucking World Series check, didn’t I? That was a lot fucking more than $2,000.’”

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 7:44pm
tepista wrote:
Is this why???

This archbishop has become the first African American cardinal in Catholic history

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/11/27/worl ... index.html
I think it's because the Pope said homosexuals are people and should be welcomed.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Here’s your chance to win tickets to attend Derek Jeter’s Baseball Hall of Fame induction

(Hurry Doc, here's your chance)

https://www.silive.com/yankees/2020/12/ ... utType=amp

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 9:59pm
Here’s your chance to win tickets to attend Derek Jeter’s Baseball Hall of Fame induction

Will there be gift baskets?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 10:21pm
revbob wrote:

You gotta put out first and shout "Yeah Jeets" at the point of climax.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 10:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 10:21pm
revbob wrote:

You gotta put out first and shout "Yeah Jeets" at the point of climax.
Wouldn't he get upset about me stealing his thunder? I mean, when the Yankees traded for the best shortstop in baseball, Jeets made him play third.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I like Gurriel (the fun one, not the Astros one), but if he and a package land Lindor with an extension, I will drive him to Pearson myself.

Assuming that the Jays are not being used to pump up trade value elsewhere...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 3:35pm
I like Gurriel (the fun one, not the Astros one), but if he and a package land Lindor with an extension, I will drive him to Pearson myself.

Assuming that the Jays are not being used to pump up trade value elsewhere...
Would the Jays actually commit the money and years to Lindor? They act like a small-market team when it comes to contracts.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Atkins has been talking a big game and "insiders" have been reporting Rogers is ready to spend to support the core. They made a splash-ish with Ryu last year and had more money on the table for Wheeler, for ex.

Who knows, though.