MLB 2020

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2020

Post by Dr. Medulla »

MLB Network, 2004 World Series, Game 1. Breaking the curse and all that was big, don't get me wrong, but the ALCS was far more cathartic because of how it evolved, plus it was beating the bully in a most stunning way. The World Series was mostly a snore—the Red Sox never trailed in a single game—but I'll say, watching right now, beating Tony LaRussa is always cool as hell. Even managing the Yankees, I could never dislike Joe Torre (or Girardi, for that matter) one iota; LaRussa has always been one of the most smug managers who makes his entire team unlikeable.

Also, Mark Bellhorn was my favourite on the 2004 Sox, in no small part because he just exuded weirdo fuck-up. But he had some major hits in the 2004 postseason.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 4:09pm
MLB Network, 2004 World Series, Game 1. Breaking the curse and all that was big, don't get me wrong, but the ALCS was far more cathartic because of how it evolved, plus it was beating the bully in a most stunning way. The World Series was mostly a snore—the Red Sox never trailed in a single game—but I'll say, watching right now, beating Tony LaRussa is always cool as hell. Even managing the Yankees, I could never dislike Joe Torre (or Girardi, for that matter) one iota; LaRussa has always been one of the most smug managers who makes his entire team unlikeable.

Also, Mark Bellhorn was my favourite on the 2004 Sox, in no small part because he just exuded weirdo fuck-up. But he had some major hits in the 2004 postseason.
The peak of my Red Sox fandom was really from about 1995-2004. A lot happened in that span, most of it missed chances and epic collapses. Once they got to the Series they were a bulldozer. As a fan that is what I needed. I needed them to just murder the Cards and end this like Truman ended World War II.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 10:04pm
The peak of my Red Sox fandom was really from about 1995-2004. A lot happened in that span, most of it missed chances and epic collapses. Once they got to the Series they were a bulldozer. As a fan that is what I needed. I needed them to just murder the Cards and end this like Truman ended World War II.
I wonder how Sox fans would have regarded that ALCS if they had lost the WS. Cos, honestly, I remember very little of those WS games—Foulke getting the last out on the grounder back to him, a Cardinal infielder taking an Ortiz liner to the chest, and a Cardinal pitcher fucking up running the bases, that's about it—but the ALCS games are far more burned in my head.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 6:37am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
I wonder how Sox fans would have regarded that ALCS if they had lost the WS. Cos, honestly, I remember very little of those WS games—Foulke getting the last out on the grounder back to him, a Cardinal infielder taking an Ortiz liner to the chest, and a Cardinal pitcher fucking up running the bases, that's about it—but the ALCS games are far more burned in my head.
Ortiz threw out Jeff Suppan across the diamond, is that the one you remember. My favorite memory was Larry Walker getting thrown out at home on a tag up. Pedro had backed up the catcher and brushed the dirt off of Walker's ass with his glove.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 3:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 6:37am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Ortiz threw out Jeff Suppan across the diamond, is that the one you remember. My favorite memory was Larry Walker getting thrown out at home on a tag up. Pedro had backed up the catcher and brushed the dirt off of Walker's ass with his glove.

Forgot about Manny's assist. Those things were so rare you'd think I'd remember. But, yeah, it was Suppan fucking up that I was thinking of.

The other cool thing (to me, anyway) was in the locker room celebration, Pedro dedicated his part of the win to the people of Montreal, who'd been denied their chance in '94. Such a sweet and appreciated thing to say at that moment.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Not to sound like George Will but I was looking at some baseball hats and apparently there's all these different styles? WTF?

https://alaska-goldpanners.square.site/ ... /3?cs=true

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 8:02pm
Not to sound like George Will but I was looking at some baseball hats and apparently there's all these different styles? WTF?

https://alaska-goldpanners.square.site/ ... /3?cs=true
You don't serve markets; you create them.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 10:51am
Its heritage not hate :shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
More seriously, given his views on same-sex marriage, I'm not as sympathetic to his complaints about bigotry.

BostonBeaneater

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 11:30am
The first 2 weeks I watched a ton of it, bit not lately
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
More seriously, given his views on same-sex marriage, I'm not as sympathetic to his complaints about bigotry.
I would never say this didn't happen but I've probably been to 100 games at Fenway and I never witnesses this. Football fans on the other hand... I've been to 5 NFL games in my life and that crowd is unabashedly bigoted.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 12:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
I would never say this didn't happen but I've probably been to 100 games at Fenway and I never witnesses this. Football fans on the other hand... I've been to 5 NFL games in my life and that crowd is unabashedly bigoted.
A few years back, Adam Jones made the same claims. I don't doubt this shit at all, tho it's far from unique to Boston. Beer + asshole + asshole's friends = free-flowing bigotry.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 12:27pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 12:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
A few years back, Adam Jones made the same claims. I don't doubt this shit at all, tho it's far from unique to Boston. Beer + asshole + asshole's friends = free-flowing bigotry.
I believe Jones. I will admit that I haven't sat in the bleachers in a long time.