Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
JennyB
User avatar
Mossad Van Driver
Posts: 19937
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2021, 9:43am
JennyB wrote:
26 May 2021, 9:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2021, 7:22am
https://www.salon.com/2021/05/26/anti-v ... accinated/

It really is crazy all the way down, and down has no bottom.
I blame Jenny McCarthy for this. She normalized being anti-vaxx.
And Oprah gave her the platform. Whenever liberals go on about how amazing Oprah is, I just shake my head. She aided so much quackery over the years that she deserves shunning for life.
Yep.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Sparky
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 952
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
Location: Left Of The Dial

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2021, 7:22am
https://www.salon.com/2021/05/26/anti-v ... accinated/

It really is crazy all the way down, and down has no bottom.
And we can thank these misinformed folks for keeping the virus around for years to come due to their unfounded beliefs.
Sittin' at home, and I'm so excited
Goin' to the party though we weren't invited

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 30636
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Flex »

I hope these people think I can make them sick and just stay the fuck away from me.
In the words of Jean-Paul Sartre: "Au revoir, gopher."

Pex Lives!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 13982
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Kory »

First they didn't believe the virus was anything to worry about, but now it is if you're vaccinated. They just want to be contrary, there's nothing behind it.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 96339
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 May 2021, 12:52pm
First they didn't believe the virus was anything to worry about, but now it is if you're vaccinated. They just want to be contrary, there's nothing behind it.
It's called being a free thinker, lepton!
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4883
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by WestwayKid »

We went to the Indy 500 last weekend. It is a long standing family tradition and always a really good time. They had said they were cutting capacity down to 40% and that mask wearing and temperature checks would be required. Indianapolis has long been the world's largest single day sporting event (over 400K in attendance).

We buy 6 tickets for our group and I received an email about a month ago asking if I'd consider cutting some of our ticket order to help keep capacity down. We had a family discussion and said sure, just give us 3. Well, they ended up sending all 6.

We get to the track on Sunday and the place is packed. I was expecting our grandstand to be at 40%, but it was closer to 90%. People were packed in like sardines. No temperature checks at the gates and I'd say mask usage was less than 5%. There was also zero social distancing when standing in line for bathrooms or concession stands. Basically, it was no different than 2019 (they ran without fans in 2020).

Being fully vaccinated, we went along with it and had a great day, and I think it really was no worries for anyone who had been vaccinated. That said, I wonder what percentage of those in attendance had been vaccinated?
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Rock on George, one time for Ringo." - Ringo Starr

Sparky
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 952
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
Location: Left Of The Dial

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 10:02am
We went to the Indy 500 last weekend. It is a long standing family tradition and always a really good time. They had said they were cutting capacity down to 40% and that mask wearing and temperature checks would be required. Indianapolis has long been the world's largest single day sporting event (over 400K in attendance).

We buy 6 tickets for our group and I received an email about a month ago asking if I'd consider cutting some of our ticket order to help keep capacity down. We had a family discussion and said sure, just give us 3. Well, they ended up sending all 6.

We get to the track on Sunday and the place is packed. I was expecting our grandstand to be at 40%, but it was closer to 90%. People were packed in like sardines. No temperature checks at the gates and I'd say mask usage was less than 5%. There was also zero social distancing when standing in line for bathrooms or concession stands. Basically, it was no different than 2019 (they ran without fans in 2020).

Being fully vaccinated, we went along with it and had a great day, and I think it really was no worries for anyone who had been vaccinated. That said, I wonder what percentage of those in attendance had been vaccinated?
I read that in two weeks we'll know for sure if opening everything up on Memorial day with 40% of the nation vaccinated was the right thing to do.
Sittin' at home, and I'm so excited
Goin' to the party though we weren't invited

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4883
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 11:10am
WestwayKid wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 10:02am
We went to the Indy 500 last weekend. It is a long standing family tradition and always a really good time. They had said they were cutting capacity down to 40% and that mask wearing and temperature checks would be required. Indianapolis has long been the world's largest single day sporting event (over 400K in attendance).

We buy 6 tickets for our group and I received an email about a month ago asking if I'd consider cutting some of our ticket order to help keep capacity down. We had a family discussion and said sure, just give us 3. Well, they ended up sending all 6.

We get to the track on Sunday and the place is packed. I was expecting our grandstand to be at 40%, but it was closer to 90%. People were packed in like sardines. No temperature checks at the gates and I'd say mask usage was less than 5%. There was also zero social distancing when standing in line for bathrooms or concession stands. Basically, it was no different than 2019 (they ran without fans in 2020).

Being fully vaccinated, we went along with it and had a great day, and I think it really was no worries for anyone who had been vaccinated. That said, I wonder what percentage of those in attendance had been vaccinated?
I read that in two weeks we'll know for sure if opening everything up on Memorial day with 40% of the nation vaccinated was the right thing to do.
It was an outside event, but lots of yelling and drinking and general good times. They made it sound like we'd have some separating in the stands, but there was none.
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Rock on George, one time for Ringo." - Ringo Starr

Sparky
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 952
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
Location: Left Of The Dial

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 12:19pm
Sparky wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 11:10am
WestwayKid wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 10:02am
We went to the Indy 500 last weekend. It is a long standing family tradition and always a really good time. They had said they were cutting capacity down to 40% and that mask wearing and temperature checks would be required. Indianapolis has long been the world's largest single day sporting event (over 400K in attendance).

We buy 6 tickets for our group and I received an email about a month ago asking if I'd consider cutting some of our ticket order to help keep capacity down. We had a family discussion and said sure, just give us 3. Well, they ended up sending all 6.

We get to the track on Sunday and the place is packed. I was expecting our grandstand to be at 40%, but it was closer to 90%. People were packed in like sardines. No temperature checks at the gates and I'd say mask usage was less than 5%. There was also zero social distancing when standing in line for bathrooms or concession stands. Basically, it was no different than 2019 (they ran without fans in 2020).

Being fully vaccinated, we went along with it and had a great day, and I think it really was no worries for anyone who had been vaccinated. That said, I wonder what percentage of those in attendance had been vaccinated?
I read that in two weeks we'll know for sure if opening everything up on Memorial day with 40% of the nation vaccinated was the right thing to do.
It was an outside event, but lots of yelling and drinking and general good times. They made it sound like we'd have some separating in the stands, but there was none.
And that's exactly why the wife & I haven't gone out to the movies or anything with crowds just yet. We're vaccinated, so we should be OK, I still have some concerns about other people.
Sittin' at home, and I'm so excited
Goin' to the party though we weren't invited

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 13982
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Kory »

Just found out my favorite restaurant of all time is closing at the end of the month. It was a great place, each month they would switch their menu, which made it super fun to keep coming back to. From their site:
Each month we will be focusing on a different cuisine from around the world that have been influenced by the African diaspora and sharing with you a little history behind each one. We will translate this into dishes and flavors that reflect what we love and have learned about the food and culture.
Over the pandemic alone, the menu went through Jamaica, Haiti, Brazil, Morocco, Trinidad, and Louisiana, each one also featuring a Spotify playlist that you could follow that featured music from each country. I'm going to miss it a lot, and the sting is worse because it was a Saturday night ritual for me and Maggie, and now I won't have either of them around.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 96339
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 5:07pm
Just found out my favorite restaurant of all time is closing at the end of the month. It was a great place, each month they would switch their menu, which made it super fun to keep coming back to. From their site:
Each month we will be focusing on a different cuisine from around the world that have been influenced by the African diaspora and sharing with you a little history behind each one. We will translate this into dishes and flavors that reflect what we love and have learned about the food and culture.
Over the pandemic alone, the menu went through Jamaica, Haiti, Brazil, Morocco, Trinidad, and Louisiana, each one also featuring a Spotify playlist that you could follow that featured music from each country. I'm going to miss it a lot, and the sting is worse because it was a Saturday night ritual for me and Maggie, and now I won't have either of them around.
Really sorry to read this, both about losing a neat and adventurous restaurant and your general mood about the future. Whatever I can do to help elevate your mood, don't hesitate to let me know.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 13982
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 6:48pm
Kory wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 5:07pm
Just found out my favorite restaurant of all time is closing at the end of the month. It was a great place, each month they would switch their menu, which made it super fun to keep coming back to. From their site:
Each month we will be focusing on a different cuisine from around the world that have been influenced by the African diaspora and sharing with you a little history behind each one. We will translate this into dishes and flavors that reflect what we love and have learned about the food and culture.
Over the pandemic alone, the menu went through Jamaica, Haiti, Brazil, Morocco, Trinidad, and Louisiana, each one also featuring a Spotify playlist that you could follow that featured music from each country. I'm going to miss it a lot, and the sting is worse because it was a Saturday night ritual for me and Maggie, and now I won't have either of them around.
Really sorry to read this, both about losing a neat and adventurous restaurant and your general mood about the future. Whatever I can do to help elevate your mood, don't hesitate to let me know.
I appreciate it, thank you. Being able to come here does help.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 23191
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 5:07pm
Just found out my favorite restaurant of all time is closing at the end of the month. It was a great place, each month they would switch their menu, which made it super fun to keep coming back to. From their site:
Each month we will be focusing on a different cuisine from around the world that have been influenced by the African diaspora and sharing with you a little history behind each one. We will translate this into dishes and flavors that reflect what we love and have learned about the food and culture.
Over the pandemic alone, the menu went through Jamaica, Haiti, Brazil, Morocco, Trinidad, and Louisiana, each one also featuring a Spotify playlist that you could follow that featured music from each country. I'm going to miss it a lot, and the sting is worse because it was a Saturday night ritual for me and Maggie, and now I won't have either of them around.
Dang, that does sound like a really cool spot. Sorry to hear.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 13982
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 1:15pm
Kory wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 5:07pm
Just found out my favorite restaurant of all time is closing at the end of the month. It was a great place, each month they would switch their menu, which made it super fun to keep coming back to. From their site:
Each month we will be focusing on a different cuisine from around the world that have been influenced by the African diaspora and sharing with you a little history behind each one. We will translate this into dishes and flavors that reflect what we love and have learned about the food and culture.
Over the pandemic alone, the menu went through Jamaica, Haiti, Brazil, Morocco, Trinidad, and Louisiana, each one also featuring a Spotify playlist that you could follow that featured music from each country. I'm going to miss it a lot, and the sting is worse because it was a Saturday night ritual for me and Maggie, and now I won't have either of them around.
Dang, that does sound like a really cool spot. Sorry to hear.
Trying to see a silver lining here, it does give me a chance to try and match the recipe for this super good black bean hummus they make there.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 96339
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 2:41pm
matedog wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 1:15pm
Kory wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 5:07pm
Just found out my favorite restaurant of all time is closing at the end of the month. It was a great place, each month they would switch their menu, which made it super fun to keep coming back to. From their site:
Each month we will be focusing on a different cuisine from around the world that have been influenced by the African diaspora and sharing with you a little history behind each one. We will translate this into dishes and flavors that reflect what we love and have learned about the food and culture.
Over the pandemic alone, the menu went through Jamaica, Haiti, Brazil, Morocco, Trinidad, and Louisiana, each one also featuring a Spotify playlist that you could follow that featured music from each country. I'm going to miss it a lot, and the sting is worse because it was a Saturday night ritual for me and Maggie, and now I won't have either of them around.
Dang, that does sound like a really cool spot. Sorry to hear.
Trying to see a silver lining here, it does give me a chance to try and match the recipe for this super good black bean hummus they make there.
The secret ingredient is Kraft Thousand Island dressing!
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Post Reply