Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 10:45am
I think I've turned a corner these past couple of days as I'm feeling a lot better. Just a little lingering congestion and fatigue by the afternoon. My son also appears to be almost back to normal. My partner just tested positive, so we're hoping her case is also relatively mild. I'm anxious to leave the house. I can do that starting Saturday.
Glad to hear you're almost back to normal, tho fingers crossed on your partner. This "may you live in interesting times" shit is wearing very thin.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Im waiting to get my 3rd shot this morning just as I hear on the radio there's another nasty strain starting to make the rounds.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Nov 2021, 11:04am
Im waiting to get my 3rd shot this morning just as I hear on the radio there's another nasty strain starting to make the rounds.
Not unexpected at all. As is, I was told some time ago by a university person briefed by health people that, based on models, we should expect seven waves before we’re in the clear. And that assumes a mutation that doesn’t negate the vaccine.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Nov 2021, 11:30am
revbob wrote:
Not unexpected at all. As is, I was told some time ago by a university person briefed by health people that, based on models, we should expect seven waves before we’re in the clear. And that assumes a mutation that doesn’t negate the vaccine.
What did they think would get us in the clear?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Nov 2021, 12:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
What did they think would get us in the clear?
My understanding is that that would result in the fabled herd immunity. Vaccination would cover many, survivors, and killing off lots who were susceptible. Each wave creates survivors and fatalities, reducing fewer of the uninfected/unvaccinated each time thru. Deadlier strains, tho, would complicate this if they, in essence, start with a fresh population each time.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Wow, 7 waves until we're in the clear, that really sucks. From what I've read the US is in wave 4 and anticipating wave 5 after the holidays, let's just hope enough people jump on the booster to help minimize the potential risk. I'm so looking forward to a return to "normal" sometime soon (fingers crossed).
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Phone reception is much better after the 3rd shot and you get used to the upgraded nanobots pretty quickly.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
26 Nov 2021, 2:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Wow, 7 waves until we're in the clear, that really sucks. From what I've read the US is in wave 4 and anticipating wave 5 after the holidays, let's just hope enough people jump on the booster to help minimize the potential risk. I'm so looking forward to a return to "normal" sometime soon (fingers crossed).
You'd think, tho, that the final waves won't be as intense or as encompassing because the available population to be infected will shrink (vaccinated, some level of immunity because of previous infection, and dead people out of the equation), limited to the unvaccinated and those who get a breakthrough infection. It's starving the beast by taking away its food.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Nov 2021, 3:10pm
Phone reception is much better after the 3rd shot and you get used to the upgraded nanobots pretty quickly.
That's awesome. I've been hoping that I become a walking wifi hotspot.

(Not eligible for the booster until the new year, alas.)

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
Are you able to stick spoons on your forehead now? Possible side gig, circus sideshow attraction. :mrgreen:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
26 Nov 2021, 7:08pm
revbob wrote:
Are you able to stick spoons on your forehead now? Possible side gig, circus sideshow attraction. :mrgreen:
Not yet, I better get another

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

No expert on this but according to latest statistics, the percentage of Africans fully vaccinated is minuscule, around 3-4% range, people have been warning for ages that this was a sure way of seeding mutations. Being honest, I'm all for boosters, i want to get mine yesterday, but at the same time this feels like a catastrophic moral failure of the west to me. Boris Johnson was boasting this time last year about how the uk, with its cheap vaccine, would be "world leaders" in vaccinating the world. Another lie, basically. Only for china, half those poor countries wouldn't have any vaccine at all and those vaccines have been shown to be less effective than the western ones.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 7:26am
No expert on this but according to latest statistics, the percentage of Africans fully vaccinated is minuscule, around 3-4% range, people have been warning for ages that this was a sure way of seeding mutations. Being honest, I'm all for boosters, i want to get mine yesterday, but at the same time this feels like a catastrophic moral failure of the west to me. Boris Johnson was boasting this time last year about how the uk, with its cheap vaccine, would be "world leaders" in vaccinating the world. Another lie, basically. Only for china, half those poor countries wouldn't have any vaccine at all and those vaccines have been shown to be less effective than the western ones.
When you have a normal structure and system predicated on greatly unequal access to resources, it ensures that in a panic situation those attitudes will intensify, even tho, yeah, it that exaggeration makes a terrible situation worse. There would be some justice that perpetuation of the pandemic in the wealthy nations would be the result of our centuries of selfishness and exploitation.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 7:59am
Low Down Low wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 7:26am
When you have a normal structure and system predicated on greatly unequal access to resources, it ensures that in a panic situation those attitudes will intensify, even tho, yeah, it that exaggeration makes a terrible situation worse. There would be some justice that perpetuation of the pandemic in the wealthy nations would be the result of our centuries of selfishness and exploitation.
Yeah, i mean I'm not actually naive enough to believe the moral argument could ever have swayed the rich and powerful who dictate access to global wealth and resources here. But given there was a practical element too, that failure to distribute vaccines on a more equitable basis posed a threat to all, not just the unfortunate poor, i guess that inspired a faint hope that this time might be different. I recall Biden making some noise about waving patent rights earlier this year, but I suspect that was just for show. I doubt he has real power to effect those kind of changes anyway.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Goddamn, it's much harder to get a booster than the initial shot.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc