Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2021, 9:43am
JennyB wrote:
26 May 2021, 9:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2021, 7:22am
https://www.salon.com/2021/05/26/anti-v ... accinated/

It really is crazy all the way down, and down has no bottom.
I blame Jenny McCarthy for this. She normalized being anti-vaxx.
And Oprah gave her the platform. Whenever liberals go on about how amazing Oprah is, I just shake my head. She aided so much quackery over the years that she deserves shunning for life.
Yep.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2021, 7:22am
https://www.salon.com/2021/05/26/anti-v ... accinated/

It really is crazy all the way down, and down has no bottom.
And we can thank these misinformed folks for keeping the virus around for years to come due to their unfounded beliefs.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I hope these people think I can make them sick and just stay the fuck away from me.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

First they didn't believe the virus was anything to worry about, but now it is if you're vaccinated. They just want to be contrary, there's nothing behind it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 May 2021, 12:52pm
First they didn't believe the virus was anything to worry about, but now it is if you're vaccinated. They just want to be contrary, there's nothing behind it.
It's called being a free thinker, lepton!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

We went to the Indy 500 last weekend. It is a long standing family tradition and always a really good time. They had said they were cutting capacity down to 40% and that mask wearing and temperature checks would be required. Indianapolis has long been the world's largest single day sporting event (over 400K in attendance).

We buy 6 tickets for our group and I received an email about a month ago asking if I'd consider cutting some of our ticket order to help keep capacity down. We had a family discussion and said sure, just give us 3. Well, they ended up sending all 6.

We get to the track on Sunday and the place is packed. I was expecting our grandstand to be at 40%, but it was closer to 90%. People were packed in like sardines. No temperature checks at the gates and I'd say mask usage was less than 5%. There was also zero social distancing when standing in line for bathrooms or concession stands. Basically, it was no different than 2019 (they ran without fans in 2020).

Being fully vaccinated, we went along with it and had a great day, and I think it really was no worries for anyone who had been vaccinated. That said, I wonder what percentage of those in attendance had been vaccinated?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 10:02am
We went to the Indy 500 last weekend. It is a long standing family tradition and always a really good time. They had said they were cutting capacity down to 40% and that mask wearing and temperature checks would be required. Indianapolis has long been the world's largest single day sporting event (over 400K in attendance).

We buy 6 tickets for our group and I received an email about a month ago asking if I'd consider cutting some of our ticket order to help keep capacity down. We had a family discussion and said sure, just give us 3. Well, they ended up sending all 6.

We get to the track on Sunday and the place is packed. I was expecting our grandstand to be at 40%, but it was closer to 90%. People were packed in like sardines. No temperature checks at the gates and I'd say mask usage was less than 5%. There was also zero social distancing when standing in line for bathrooms or concession stands. Basically, it was no different than 2019 (they ran without fans in 2020).

Being fully vaccinated, we went along with it and had a great day, and I think it really was no worries for anyone who had been vaccinated. That said, I wonder what percentage of those in attendance had been vaccinated?
I read that in two weeks we'll know for sure if opening everything up on Memorial day with 40% of the nation vaccinated was the right thing to do.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 11:10am
WestwayKid wrote:

I read that in two weeks we'll know for sure if opening everything up on Memorial day with 40% of the nation vaccinated was the right thing to do.
It was an outside event, but lots of yelling and drinking and general good times. They made it sound like we'd have some separating in the stands, but there was none.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 12:19pm
Sparky wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 11:10am
WestwayKid wrote:

It was an outside event, but lots of yelling and drinking and general good times. They made it sound like we'd have some separating in the stands, but there was none.
And that's exactly why the wife & I haven't gone out to the movies or anything with crowds just yet. We're vaccinated, so we should be OK, I still have some concerns about other people.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Just found out my favorite restaurant of all time is closing at the end of the month. It was a great place, each month they would switch their menu, which made it super fun to keep coming back to. From their site:
Each month we will be focusing on a different cuisine from around the world that have been influenced by the African diaspora and sharing with you a little history behind each one. We will translate this into dishes and flavors that reflect what we love and have learned about the food and culture.
Over the pandemic alone, the menu went through Jamaica, Haiti, Brazil, Morocco, Trinidad, and Louisiana, each one also featuring a Spotify playlist that you could follow that featured music from each country. I'm going to miss it a lot, and the sting is worse because it was a Saturday night ritual for me and Maggie, and now I won't have either of them around.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 5:07pm
Just found out my favorite restaurant of all time is closing at the end of the month. It was a great place, each month they would switch their menu, which made it super fun to keep coming back to. From their site:
Each month we will be focusing on a different cuisine from around the world that have been influenced by the African diaspora and sharing with you a little history behind each one. We will translate this into dishes and flavors that reflect what we love and have learned about the food and culture.
Over the pandemic alone, the menu went through Jamaica, Haiti, Brazil, Morocco, Trinidad, and Louisiana, each one also featuring a Spotify playlist that you could follow that featured music from each country. I'm going to miss it a lot, and the sting is worse because it was a Saturday night ritual for me and Maggie, and now I won't have either of them around.
Really sorry to read this, both about losing a neat and adventurous restaurant and your general mood about the future. Whatever I can do to help elevate your mood, don't hesitate to let me know.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 6:48pm
Kory wrote:
Really sorry to read this, both about losing a neat and adventurous restaurant and your general mood about the future. Whatever I can do to help elevate your mood, don't hesitate to let me know.
I appreciate it, thank you. Being able to come here does help.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
Dang, that does sound like a really cool spot. Sorry to hear.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 1:15pm
Kory wrote:
Trying to see a silver lining here, it does give me a chance to try and match the recipe for this super good black bean hummus they make there.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 2:41pm
matedog wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 1:15pm
Kory wrote:
Trying to see a silver lining here, it does give me a chance to try and match the recipe for this super good black bean hummus they make there.
The secret ingredient is Kraft Thousand Island dressing!