Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by WestwayKid »

Mimi wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 4:25pm
Kory wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 4:09pm
The conspiracies are coming out of the woodwork. A strong one going around now is that covid came from the states, not China.
Interesting.

I've been thinking about something, but I've been afraid to say anything for fear that someone might think I'm nuts. This is just a thought so...

Early 2019, February to be exact, I had something, along with a few others, that resembled the symptoms of c19. A few at my job had it. My partner had it. A month later I had it. It hit fast. Started with a sore throat. Evolved into a bad cold that didn't want to go away. But there was this persistent dry cough that took a good month to clear up. It was a violent cough, too. When it hit, you couldn't stop. It was awful. I know one of my coworkers had a slight fever.

Anyway, not saying it was anything more than a weird cold, but it made me go hmmm.

For the record, I don't believe in conspiracy theories.
Similar story here. I had it early February and my girlfriend picked it up a week later. It was the worst cold I've had in a long, long time. Awful body aches and zero energy. The cough lingered after the main symptoms went away.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 8:22pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 8:08pm
Is it true that in US shopping malls etc are still open?
It varies state to state. Most of the non-insane states have shut all that down by now, but plenty of state still open for business!
I believe restaurants are still open in some states. This crisis illustrates (what I think is) a key difference between the US and other countries: every state maintains quite a bit of autonomy. It's not as easy as the president mandating that everything closes. That power is vested in the individual governors.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 8:03am
Flex wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 8:22pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 8:08pm
Is it true that in US shopping malls etc are still open?
It varies state to state. Most of the non-insane states have shut all that down by now, but plenty of state still open for business!
I believe restaurants are still open in some states. This crisis illustrates (what I think is) a key difference between the US and other countries: every state maintains quite a bit of autonomy. It's not as easy as the president mandating that everything closes. That power is vested in the individual governors.
Back to 101s mall question. I still wouldn't go if there wasn't an epidemic so I honestly don't know if they are open or not. The few times Ive had a need to go there the past few years the mall here is mostly abandoned anyway.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 7:50am
Low Down Low wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 7:34am
Bojo tests positive. Toss up whether this should be in the good news thread. Will continue to lead government which nobody minds as it wasnt as if anyone was under the illusion he was effectively leading government anyway.
Yes! Hope he chokes.

Wonder how many of the cabinet and top health people have it now?
Its the top health people you'd be concerned about. Cabinet members have never been more expendable.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I don't like Boris Johnson and never will.

But I don't want him or anyone else to die from this disease.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Bojo tests positive. Toss up whether this should be in the good news thread. Will continue to lead government which nobody minds as it wasnt as if anyone was under the illusion he was effectively leading government anyway.
Yes! Hope he chokes.

That's the thing I've been curious (morbidly so, ha ha) about—how many world leaders and prominent politicians succumb, and how does that further change the game board, so to speak. Hypothetically, if Trump and Pence both bought it, Pelosi would become president. A president dying is disruptive as is, but something like that in these times would be cracker bananas in American politics.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 8:57am
Silent Majority wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yes! Hope he chokes.

That's the thing I've been curious (morbidly so, ha ha) about—how many world leaders and prominent politicians succumb, and how does that further change the game board, so to speak. Hypothetically, if Trump and Pence both bought it, Pelosi would become president. A president dying is disruptive as is, but something like that in these times would be cracker bananas in American politics.
I dont wish ill on people either but isnt it the case that trump out of the way would be a help in fighting the crisis? Pence would do a better, more humane job. Trump has cost god knows how many lives, as has Johnson with his mindless and failed herd immunity strategy.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Health minister Matt Hancock down now. Going to fall like nine pins.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 9:05am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yes! Hope he chokes.

I dont wish ill on people either but isnt it the case that trump out of the way would be a help in fighting the crisis? Pence would do a better, more humane job. Trump has cost god knows how many lives, as has Johnson with his mindless and failed herd immunity strategy.
Pence would be better, but only relative to the current ignoramus.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Well, I wish nothing but ill on the architects of doom.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yes! Hope he chokes.

Id like to think so but I'm not convinced he would. Like Trump he is beholden to the God Squad but unlike Trump he is actually one of them. They're a nasty bunch many believe "plagues" and natural disasters are gods will/punishment.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I'm cautiously optimistic that I might get the nod to work from home soon. Had a good conversation with my boss yesterday and he's looking into it for me. I don't want to celebrate until I know from sure, but it's exciting. I do 100% of my work in front of a computer, so I could easily do 100% of my work remotely. The company has also given employees the okay to take their entire desktop setup (computer, monitors, whatever we need) home. This really helps. It took me awhile to get on board with the working from home idea, but every day I come into the office feels like an unnecessary game of COVID-19 Russian Roulette. Anyway, my fingers are crossed.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 9:30am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yes! Hope he chokes.

Id like to think so but I'm not convinced he would. Like Trump he is beholden to the God Squad but unlike Trump he is actually one of them. They're a nasty bunch many believe "plagues" and natural disasters are gods will/punishment.
Like the idiot from Hobby Lobby. I think he's finally had to close up shop in Wisconsin because the governor ordered all non-essential businesses closed and buying cheaply made Christian themed arts and crafts is non-essential...but his rationale for staying open was that God spoke to his wife and told her everything would be okay.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

revbob wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 9:30am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yes! Hope he chokes.

Yeah, i think doc was correct to point out its relative. I thought Pence came out ok anytime Trump put him on the spot in those excruciating press briefings, but thats just compared to the shitshow he was following. Little enough basis for it in reality.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 9:33am
Like the idiot from Hobby Lobby. I think he's finally had to close up shop in Wisconsin because the governor ordered all non-essential businesses closed and buying cheaply made Christian themed arts and crafts is non-essential...but his rationale for staying open was that God spoke to his wife and told her everything would be okay.
Fuck a duck, god, your favourite creations here are really freaked out and you're dicking around dispensing retail advice? Fuck it, I'm switching back to the Greek gods.