Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Flex »

Shit, get healthy Mrs. B. Being vaxxed and boosted puts you and the fam in statistically great spot to avoid anything serious, but it's obviously still a worrying proposition. We'll be thinking of you.

Relatedly, It seems like we're at the point where any families with any kids doing in-person learning is more-or-less guaranteed to get covid. I've asked online a few times but never really saw a satisfying answer for what supports the claims that open schools don't help spread covid. Anecdotally, I think every family I know with school-age kids has gotten covid and none that I can think of had other major exposures besides the classroom. Now, the world with vaccines + boosters is a different one than without vaccines, so maybe there's a change in the risk calculus, but policymaking that doesn't take into account that open schools = everyone is getting covid and at roughly the same time seems delusional to me.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 11:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 11:22am
JennyB wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 11:09am
Well, I guess it was inevitable- VH, Jr. and I both tested positive this morning. I think he got it from a teacher and he passed it to me. Scott doesn't have any symptoms, so he didn't do the at home test. He's going to schedule a PCR (as are the two of us). Ari just got his booster on Friday and has a mild cough. I woke up this morning with a fever and chills and have a mild cough/sore throat. I'm a little nervous because I had my booster way back in August, but I still think I should be OK.
Ugh. The inevitable part is increasingly right. Indulge yourself in whatever way makes you comfortable and keep us apprised.
Lots of shitty tv!
Onto the Chuck Lorre channel!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 11:31am
Shit, get healthy Mrs. B. Being vaxxed and boosted puts you and the fam in statistically great spot to avoid anything serious, but it's obviously still a worrying proposition. We'll be thinking of you.

Relatedly, It seems like we're at the point where any families with any kids doing in-person learning is more-or-less guaranteed to get covid. I've asked online a few times but never really saw a satisfying answer for what supports the claims that open schools don't help spread covid. Anecdotally, I think every family I know with school-age kids has gotten covid and none that I can think of had other major exposures besides the classroom. Now, the world with vaccines + boosters is a different one than without vaccines, so maybe there's a change in the risk calculus, but policymaking that doesn't take into account that open schools = everyone is getting covid and at roughly the same time seems delusional to me.
Yeah - I think you are totally right about in person learning. Ari's school is really good about mask and vaccine mandates, but it's still going to happen.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 11:36am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Well, I guess it was inevitable- VH, Jr. and I both tested positive this morning. I think he got it from a teacher and he passed it to me. Scott doesn't have any symptoms, so he didn't do the at home test. He's going to schedule a PCR (as are the two of us). Ari just got his booster on Friday and has a mild cough. I woke up this morning with a fever and chills and have a mild cough/sore throat. I'm a little nervous because I had my booster way back in August, but I still think I should be OK.
Ugh. The inevitable part is increasingly right. Indulge yourself in whatever way makes you comfortable and keep us apprised.
Lots of shitty tv!
I mean FUN and CAMPY shitty TV, like the Real Housewives of SLC, not NO FUN shitty TV.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 11:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Lots of shitty tv!
I mean FUN and CAMPY shitty TV, like the Real Housewives of SLC, not NO FUN shitty TV.
Either way, indulge. :cool:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 11:45am
JennyB wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 11:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Lots of shitty tv!
Either way, indulge. :cool:
:mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

As with schools, whomst amongst us could have foreseen this extremely obvious consequence of telling covid positive staff to come to work?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:

Sorry to hear about your/Ari's status MrsB.

As for schools I can give anecdotal info. I get called/emailed every week for the past several weeks that my son has been in close contact with someone who has tested positive. They all wear masks etc. He hasn't tested positive nor exhibited any symptoms. He's all boosted so hopefully its making a difference.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 12:26pm
As with schools, whomst amongst us could have foreseen this extremely obvious consequence of telling covid positive staff to come to work?
That's Obamacare for you. :rolleyes:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Now, the world with vaccines + boosters is a different one than without vaccines, so maybe there's a change in the risk calculus, but policymaking that doesn't take into account that open schools = everyone is getting covid and at roughly the same time seems delusional to me.
It's almost certainly political. More and more, the stuff I'm reading in online discussions in Canada is fully vaxxed people who have declared that they won't tolerate any more restrictions. They've done all that's been asked, so they've earned normal. It's one thing for politicians to blame the unvaxxed, and the vaccinated have nothing but scorn for them, but harder to tell people who have followed all the rules to still be restricted. So politicians are moving quickly to a covid-normal world and, as usual, hoping that shit doesn't go sideways again (ho ho ho ho).

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 12:33pm
Flex wrote:

Sorry to hear about your/Ari's status MrsB.

As for schools I can give anecdotal info. I get called/emailed every week for the past several weeks that my son has been in close contact with someone who has tested positive. They all wear masks etc. He hasn't tested positive nor exhibited any symptoms. He's all boosted so hopefully its making a difference.
Thank you and I'm sure the booster is making a difference!
Got a Rake? Sure!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

JennyB wrote:
I had my booster around about then and I've been fine. Literally two days of mild aches and that was it. Stay healthy Jenny and family.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Sorry to hear Jen, thinking of you and hope it isn't too rough. Keep us posted.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Thanks again, all. :)
Got a Rake? Sure!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

JennyB wrote:
Oh no, sorry to hear that, wishing you both a speedy recovery.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung