Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Flex »

Dang it, got the COVID! I was sick all last week with mild cold-like symptoms - I even took covid tests and they were negative. Slowly but surely the little Duder got sick and then the missus. Missus just tested for covid, got a positive result, then I tested despite feeling better and got a positive result. Goes to show just how impossible it is to manage this stuff anymore.

Little Duder had a miserable couple days, although his symptoms seem mild, and the missus is slightly more symptomatic but still not too bad. We're all max vaxed so not too worried but it is alarming that I could test negative while feeling sick and then test positive after I feel better. Not a great recipe for public health focused decision making!

Addendum: breaking news, just found out I gave COVID to my mother in law. That one's gonna cost me, whoops!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 10:28pm
Dang it, got the COVID! I was sick all last week with mild cold-like symptoms - I even took covid tests and they were negative. Slowly but surely the little Duder got sick and then the missus. Missus just tested for covid, got a positive result, then I tested despite feeling better and got a positive result. Goes to show just how impossible it is to manage this stuff anymore.

Little Duder had a miserable couple days, although his symptoms seem mild, and the missus is slightly more symptomatic but still not too bad. We're all max vaxed so not too worried but it is alarming that I could test negative while feeling sick and then test positive after I feel better. Not a great recipe for public health focused decision making!

Addendum: breaking news, just found out I gave COVID to my mother in law. That one's gonna cost me, whoops!
Damn. I kept testing negative and then felt fine so I stopped checking. My brother out your way just tested positive

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:

Hope everyone returns to health soon.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:

Sooner or later we're all going to get it—that's just the math of it all. You and your family have done all you can to prepare by being properly vaxed. New normals really aren't getting us any closer to a Jetsons future, tho.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:

Sorry to hear about you and your family being sick Flex, hope everybody gets well ASAP.
Like Doc said, I think it's inevitable that we'll all get it eventually, wife and I have been lucky, a few family members, our daughter included, have had it, but so far everyone has had a full recovery.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:

Ugh! Sorry to hear that, but sounds like things are on the mild side for you and yours. Being vaxed is a great thing. It didn't prevent me from catching it twice, but both times it was super mild.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:

Oh no - I hope everyone has a speedy recovery!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

I was supposed to pick up my dad and head over to my sisters house today but she just called to say my brother-in-law had cold like symptoms, tested twice, you guessed it, COVID.

Kind of concerned because my mom, who lives nearby them, was already over there today to see the kids open their gifts.

I have to look on the positive side, he's vaxxed & boosted as is my mom, and at least they caught it before the others arrived.

So dad and I are going to go pick up the Vietnamese food that was already ordered / paid for, drop some off on my sisters front porch, drop some off at my mom's place, then we're coming back here to eat ours and hang out.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Sparky wrote:
25 Dec 2022, 4:52pm
I was supposed to pick up my dad and head over to my sisters house today but she just called to say my brother-in-law had cold like symptoms, tested twice, you guessed it, COVID.

Kind of concerned because my mom, who lives nearby them, was already over there today to see the kids open their gifts.

I have to look on the positive side, he's vaxxed & boosted as is my mom, and at least they caught it before the others arrived.

So dad and I are going to go pick up the Vietnamese food that was already ordered / paid for, drop some off on my sisters front porch, drop some off at my mom's place, then we're coming back here to eat ours and hang out.
If she ends up with COVID, have your mom talk to a doctor and get on paxilovid. If she has any underlying conditions (like, you know age) a doctor will almost certainly recommend it. She can do it as a telehealth appointment. There's a risk of rebound covid (my wife got it) but that's very mild and the paxilovid greatly reduces the chances of severe symptoms AND reduces the chances of long COVID.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
25 Dec 2022, 11:08pm
Sparky wrote:
25 Dec 2022, 4:52pm

If she ends up with COVID, have your mom talk to a doctor and get on paxilovid. If she has any underlying conditions (like, you know age) a doctor will almost certainly recommend it. She can do it as a telehealth appointment. There's a risk of rebound covid (my wife got it) but that's very mild and the paxilovid greatly reduces the chances of severe symptoms AND reduces the chances of long COVID.
Thanks for the tip, yes, she's almost 81 years old, so she'd definitely qualify for it. She told me she masked up as did my BIL as soon as they were aware he was positive for COVID, then my sister drover here home, so she was as careful as possible given the circumstances.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss and I are back from our third booster. We waited until after classes and grading in case we have a rough slog (she's had one on previous shots, I've been fine; we fully expect her to spend extra time in bed over the next 24–48 hours). Better to ride it out when there are no responsibilities pending. Also got a flu shot, which I'm almost positive is the first time since I was a kid.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 2:55pm
The Boss and I are back from our third booster. We waited until after classes and grading in case we have a rough slog (she's had one on previous shots, I've been fine; we fully expect her to spend extra time in bed over the next 24–48 hours). Better to ride it out when there are no responsibilities pending. Also got a flu shot, which I'm almost positive is the first time since I was a kid.
Glad you got your booster Doc. I got my second booster in the middle of November, so you’re a little ahead of me. But I have gotten a flu shot with the last two boosters (one in each shoulder so I could compare the pain – about equal). As I’m now over 50, I just need to add a shingles vaccine to my collection. I’ve unintentionally avoided vaccines for the last 20 years or so, but covid has made me a vaccine junkie. Running out of space for updates on my first covid card, so I’ll probably have to start a new card with my next booster in May. I plan to collect them like baseball cards and trade them with my friends.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 6:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 2:55pm
Glad you got your booster Doc. I got my second booster in the middle of November, so you’re a little ahead of me. But I have gotten a flu shot with the last two boosters (one in each shoulder so I could compare the pain – about equal).
My covid shoulder seems more sore than on previous rounds, but the flu one is completely normal. Both of the Boss' shoulders are rough, but otherwise she's handling the shots better than in the past. I expect I'll riding the bike as usual this morning.
As I’m now over 50, I just need to add a shingles vaccine to my collection. I’ve unintentionally avoided vaccines for the last 20 years or so, but covid has made me a vaccine junkie. Running out of space for updates on my first covid card, so I’ll probably have to start a new card with my next booster in May. I plan to collect them like baseball cards and trade them with my friends.
I've never been anti-vaccine at all, just apathetic/negligent, but I ticked the box on the form yesterday that I'm up for a shingles and pneumonia vaccine once I'm age-eligible (I've had pneumonia once before and not keen on that again).

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 7:54am
My covid shoulder seems more sore than on previous rounds, but the flu one is completely normal.
Including the first two covid Pfizer jabs, two boosters, and two flu shots, all since April 2021, they’ve all felt the same for me. Like a mild soreness from being punched in the shoulder, which lasted for no more than 2 days. It really didn’t impact my routine at all.
I've never been anti-vaccine at all, just apathetic/negligent, but I ticked the box on the form yesterday that I'm up for a shingles and pneumonia vaccine once I'm age-eligible (I've had pneumonia once before and not keen on that again).
Yeah, negligence/apathy for me too. But now that I’m in the habit, it’s a minor inconvenience, so I’ll keep getting them.

Is there an age requirement for the pneumonia vaccine? I know shingles in the US is 50yo. I had chickenpox as a kid, so apparently that shingles shit can pop up at any time. I’ve seen commercials lately, and shingles sounds like a bad time. I tried to get it with my covid booster and flu shot in November, but they figured 2 jabs was enough for one day. What I really need is a “sore feet from snowblowing for 6 hours” vaccine. Hopefully Pfizer gets on the ball with that.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 8:35am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 7:54am
My covid shoulder seems more sore than on previous rounds, but the flu one is completely normal.
Including the first two covid Pfizer jabs, two boosters, and two flu shots, all since April 2021, they’ve all felt the same for me. Like a mild soreness from being punched in the shoulder, which lasted for no more than 2 days. It really didn’t impact my routine at all.
If I really needed to do physical shit with my left arm today, I could get thru it, but I'll take it easy all the same.
Yeah, negligence/apathy for me too. But now that I’m in the habit, it’s a minor inconvenience, so I’ll keep getting them.
Me, too (at least in theory; my apathy, when challenged, is a powerful force, so I can't guarantee being diligent in the future). And given that I've never had a bad reaction to a vaccine, there's no justification not to.
Is there an age requirement for the pneumonia vaccine? I know shingles in the US is 50yo. I had chickenpox as a kid, so apparently that shingles shit can pop up at any time. I’ve seen commercials lately, and shingles sounds like a bad time. I tried to get it with my covid booster and flu shot in November, but they figured 2 jabs was enough for one day. What I really need is a “sore feet from snowblowing for 6 hours” vaccine. Hopefully Pfizer gets on the ball with that.
The pneumonia/shingles questions were for people 50+, but no info beyond than that. I think you have to be 55+ here to be eligible for shingles. My nephew got it in his early 30s and was damned lucky. It manifested as a massive headache that was bad enough to go to the ER. The doctor told him if he hadn't done that so quickly, he'd have gone blind within 48 hours.