Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by JennyB »

I just heard we have our first confirmed case in St. Louis, at a hospital about two miles from my office. My question is, as long as you are not immunocompromised,is it really all that dangerous? I'm not particularly worried about myself, but my mom is being treated for metastatic breast cancer (her cancer came back after 30 years, which is crazy, but they are managing it) and her white blood cell counts are low.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 3:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 2:32pm
Kory wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 2:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 2:27pm
tepista wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 2:24pm

What? Is this really happening? What are we, in a movie?
Various gub'mint employees here are being encouraged to work at home.

It never dawned on me that Wire might cancel their tour starting next week, but this might be a real possibility now.
Per my moral imperative question above, would you still have gone? I can't come to a decent conclusion on it (or don't want to, maybe).
Might go, you mean. The show is a week from Saturday. Assuming it goes on, I'll see what my buddy/ride says. He's a civil servant with two young children, so he might not want to.
I guess my root question is do you think it's moral for us to go do the things we like if it means potentially spreading the virus faster? Or, are the things we like and paid money for more important than public health? I guess it depends on how severe this thing actually winds up being.
We're going to New Orleans in the beginning of April and I'm not considering cancelling. It's a good question, though. I'm not sure what the right answer is. If I had to give a reason for not cancelling our trip I'd say I don't have a good reason to cancel it. I'm not worried enough and nobody (as in the government) has told me I can't go.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 4:09pm
I just heard we have our first confirmed case in St. Louis, at a hospital about two miles from my office. My question is, as long as you are not immunocompromised,is it really all that dangerous? I'm not particularly worried about myself, but my mom is being treated for metastatic breast cancer (her cancer came back after 30 years, which is crazy, but they are managing it) and her white blood cell counts are low.
What I've read is that it's lethality is connected to your current health. We're all susceptible because it's a new strain, but if your immune system is good, it'll likely be a shitty case of the flu. But, yeah, people already compromised could really suffer.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
First things first, sorry to hear that your mom is going through that. I'm sending positive vibes in the direction of St. Louis.

From what I understand, it's not something you want to get because you're going to feel like hell until it passes, but if you're immune system is strong it probably won't kill you. I think it's a lot like the normal flu in that regard.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
Sorry to hear about your mom.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 4:16pm
JennyB wrote:
First things first, sorry to hear that your mom is going through that. I'm sending positive vibes in the direction of St. Louis.

From what I understand, it's not something you want to get because you're going to feel like hell until it passes, but if you're immune system is strong it probably won't kill you. I think it's a lot like the normal flu in that regard.
Thank you - so far, her treatment is going well. The spots in her liver are gone and the one on her lung and the ones in her spine are smaller.

And that's kind of what I figured.
Got a Rake? Sure!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 4:29pm
JennyB wrote:
Sorry to hear about your mom.
Thank you!
Got a Rake? Sure!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
My doctor friend says that you're not at much risk of anything other than feeling fairly sick unless you are quite young, old, or immunocomprimised. He contends that the Spanish flu was much scarier because it was way more virulent to pretty much everybody. This has a higher mortality rate than the yearly flu's, but follows about the same lines of who it affects most (until it mutates, anyway).
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 5:00pm
JennyB wrote:
My doctor friend says that you're not at much risk of anything other than feeling fairly sick unless you are quite young, old, or immunocomprimised. He contends that the Spanish flu was much scarier because it was way more virulent to pretty much everybody. This has a higher mortality rate than the yearly flu's, but follows about the same lines of who it affects most (until it mutates, anyway).
Makes sense. The H1N1 seemed much worse and far more widespread (so far).
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Asked my buddy who's going to Wire here with me if he's thinking of cancelling because of his two kids—I gave him a full-on okay if he has doubts—but he's an anti-social monster like Kory, so as long as the tour isn't cancelled, we're going.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

3 confirmed cases in the DC area. It's getting closer. :scared:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Ive got generic cold symptoms so Im self quarantining myself. Im pretty sure its just a cold but I know people would freak out if I was coughing at work. Fewer meetings and less BS to deal with so wins all around.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

One might even think that this is kind of a "final solution" to the problem!
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cnbc-ric ... a5bd2fb390

(If you don't recall, Santelli was the asshole whose rant against the homeowner bailouts in 2009 helped launch the Tea Party. He's reliable to separate society into winners and parasites.)

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

1st case in Colorado right down the street from me!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 9:24am
1st case in Colorado right down the street from me!
Has Norton updated a protection for you yet?