Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 8:03am
Masks are making a comeback.
The fashion industry is just toying with us now.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.6120076

Astonishing, just astonishing, that this is happening in Canada's most conservative province.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The NFL and COVID: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... rs/619589/

Pull quote:
Last month, the Washington Football Team invited the renowned immunologist Kizzmekia S. Corbett to speak with players and address any questions they might have about the coronavirus vaccines. Corbett isn’t just a random expert; she helped create the Moderna vaccine. Despite Corbett’s impeccable credentials and expertise, Washington’s defensive end Montez Sweat remained staunchly opposed to vaccination even after hearing from her. He claimed he needed more information, although Corbett was on hand to answer any questions he might have had. “I probably won't get vaccinated until I get more facts and that stuff,” Sweat said.

That some NFL players draw a line at getting a potentially life-saving vaccine is ironic. Every time they take the field, football players put themselves at risk of brain trauma and face the possibility of countless other potentially debilitating injuries. A fixation on the tiny risks of vaccines used successfully by hundreds of millions of people is hard to justify—especially given that NFL players are widely known to use Toradol, a painkiller whose side effects include hearing loss and nightmares. In May, the former NFL player Albert Haynesworth received a kidney transplant due to a condition that he blames on Toradol. Haynesworth has said that he took a shot of the drug before nearly every game he played. Last month, the NFL Players Association sent a memo to players urging that they curb their usage of the painkiller because it causes major bleeding.
The second paragraph is the contradiction (perhaps hypocrisy) of vaccine resistance, but that first paragraph reveals the pure bullshit of anti-vaxxers. It's always "I need to do more research" (never mind that those people don't do research in the scientific sense; they read anecdotal stuff on the internet), as if their understanding of this stuff will ever approach that of the experts. I'm far from someone who thinks we should always defer to experts, but in some areas we need to acknowledge that most of us flat out lack the base knowledge to understand this stuff. There is nothing wrong with admitting that it's too complicated for the average chump and that we rely on those relative few who have acquired the skills to understand it. Instead of being suspicious or resentful that some people are more intelligent than us in some areas, be fucking grateful that some actually have achieved that level of understanding, that it isn't some impenetrable mystery.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Just got back from Las Vegas. The place was absolutely packed and mask usage was about 10-15%. Even being fully vaccinated I felt a little unsettled and opted to wear a mask at times. The local news was also full of businesses and community leaders pleading for people to get vaccinated. They're really afraid of getting shut down again. I wonder what percentage of the people I saw on the Strip were vaccinated?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 10:39am
Just got back from Las Vegas. The place was absolutely packed and mask usage was about 10-15%. Even being fully vaccinated I felt a little unsettled and opted to wear a mask at times. The local news was also full of businesses and community leaders pleading for people to get vaccinated. They're really afraid of getting shut down again. I wonder what percentage of the people I saw on the Strip were vaccinated?
I as a result of my environment feel just the opposite. When I see people with masks I wonder what the hell is going on. I walked into a small store here yesterday and saw probably 4 out of 10 people wearing masks and was wondering if something changed and I missed the memo.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 10:43am
WestwayKid wrote:
I as a result of my environment feel just the opposite. When I see people with masks I wonder what the hell is going on. I walked into a small store here yesterday and saw probably 4 out of 10 people wearing masks and was wondering if something changed and I missed the memo.
Vermont is #1 and Connecticut #4 with vaccinations. I feel the same way when I see people wearing masks although I have noticed an uptick of mask wearing at the supermarket. If you look at states racked by vaccination rate you'll see New England has the top 5 (New Hampshire in 8th appropriately). I've got to say, the rest of this country scares me. The celebrated ignorance is dumbfounding.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 11:23am
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Vermont is #1 and Connecticut #4 with vaccinations. I feel the same way when I see people wearing masks although I have noticed an uptick of mask wearing at the supermarket. If you look at states racked by vaccination rate you'll see New England has the top 5 (New Hampshire in 8th appropriately). I've got to say, the rest of this country scares me. The celebrated ignorance is dumbfounding.
California is 64% vaccinated, but the county I live in is only 55%, so I'm still wearing a mask when I go to the store because I figure about half of those I encounter aren't vaccinated. With the delta variant out there, I'd hate to think I could be exposed to it and pass it along to elderly family members who although vaccinated, are more likely to contract it as I understand it.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 9:11am

Pull quote:
Last month, the Washington Football Team invited the renowned immunologist Kizzmekia S. Corbett to speak with players and address any questions they might have about the coronavirus vaccines. Corbett isn’t just a random expert; she helped create the Moderna vaccine. Despite Corbett’s impeccable credentials and expertise, Washington’s defensive end Montez Sweat remained staunchly opposed to vaccination even after hearing from her. He claimed he needed more information, although Corbett was on hand to answer any questions he might have had. “I probably won't get vaccinated until I get more facts and that stuff,” Sweat said.

That some NFL players draw a line at getting a potentially life-saving vaccine is ironic. Every time they take the field, football players put themselves at risk of brain trauma and face the possibility of countless other potentially debilitating injuries. A fixation on the tiny risks of vaccines used successfully by hundreds of millions of people is hard to justify—especially given that NFL players are widely known to use Toradol, a painkiller whose side effects include hearing loss and nightmares. In May, the former NFL player Albert Haynesworth received a kidney transplant due to a condition that he blames on Toradol. Haynesworth has said that he took a shot of the drug before nearly every game he played. Last month, the NFL Players Association sent a memo to players urging that they curb their usage of the painkiller because it causes major bleeding.
The second paragraph is the contradiction (perhaps hypocrisy) of vaccine resistance, but that first paragraph reveals the pure bullshit of anti-vaxxers. It's always "I need to do more research" (never mind that those people don't do research in the scientific sense; they read anecdotal stuff on the internet), as if their understanding of this stuff will ever approach that of the experts. I'm far from someone who thinks we should always defer to experts, but in some areas we need to acknowledge that most of us flat out lack the base knowledge to understand this stuff. There is nothing wrong with admitting that it's too complicated for the average chump and that we rely on those relative few who have acquired the skills to understand it. Instead of being suspicious or resentful that some people are more intelligent than us in some areas, be fucking grateful that some actually have achieved that level of understanding, that it isn't some impenetrable mystery.
Hello,

Doc's point above is the downside of the internet. We need to educate people to equate "I read it on the internet" to "Some guy at Dunkin' Donuts told me...". (Doc, please substitute Timmy's for Dunkin' Donuts).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 12:05pm
Hello,

Doc's point above is the downside of the internet. We need to educate people to equate "I read it on the internet" to "Some guy at Dunkin' Donuts told me...". (Doc, please substitute Timmy's for Dunkin' Donuts).
Yep. The internet has been expanded quantity at a far greater pace than quality, and people's desire to confirm their pre-held beliefs means that there's always going to be a lot of evidence that'll do just that, even if it's not high quality evidence. Lots and lots of empty calories out there making us collectively intellectually flabby.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 12:12pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Yep. The internet has been expanded quantity at a far greater pace than quality, and people's desire to confirm their pre-held beliefs means that there's always going to be a lot of evidence that'll do just that, even if it's not high quality evidence. Lots and lots of empty calories out there making us collectively intellectually flabby.
I depend on Doc for TIm-bits of truthful information.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 9:11am

Pull quote:

It's astonishing. Just astonishing.

In a similar vein, St. Louis City and County re-instated a mask mandate. The County Council held a public hearing the other night, and everyone who was against the mask mandate was (not to body shame, but) morbidly obese. The very people at greater risk of dying from COVID. The Council overturned the mask mandate mainly because they hate the Council chair. A doctor. And they are also all up in arms because the Health Dept. doctor flipped the crowd off when leaving after experiencing a barrage of racial slurs and physical threats (he's South Asian). I thought he showed tremendous restraint. These fucking cretins.

At least the City still has their mask mandate because the mayor and board of alderman aren't idiots.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 11:31am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 11:23am
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
California is 64% vaccinated, but the county I live in is only 55%, so I'm still wearing a mask when I go to the store because I figure about half of those I encounter aren't vaccinated. With the delta variant out there, I'd hate to think I could be exposed to it and pass it along to elderly family members who although vaccinated, are more likely to contract it as I understand it.
Wisconsin is in the middle with 51.6% vaccinated. The thing with a place like Vegas is that it's a collection of people from all over the country (and the world).
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 12:46pm
In a similar vein, St. Louis City and County re-instated a mask mandate. The County Council held a public hearing the other night, and everyone who was against the mask mandate was (not to body shame, but) morbidly obese. The very people at greater risk of dying from COVID. The Council overturned the mask mandate mainly because they hate the Council chair. A doctor. And they are also all up in arms because the Health Dept. doctor flipped the crowd off when leaving after experiencing a barrage of racial slurs and physical threats (he's South Asian). I thought he showed tremendous restraint. These fucking cretins.

At least the City still has their mask mandate because the mayor and board of alderman aren't idiots.
Fun fact: Back in the influenza pandemic 100 years ago, where cities on the east and west coast got swamped, St. Louis did fairly well because it instituted early on preventative measures like masks. Something of great shame, I'm sure, to many current citizens.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 12:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 12:12pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

I depend on Doc for TIm-bits of truthful information.
I am your empty calorie glass display of truth.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 1:15pm
JennyB wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 12:46pm

Fun fact: Back in the influenza pandemic 100 years ago, where cities on the east and west coast got swamped, St. Louis did fairly well because it instituted early on preventative measures like masks. Something of great shame, I'm sure, to many current citizens.
St. Louis City, no. The rest of MO? Certainly.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy