Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 4:55pm
I took a quick peek at the first few pages of this thread. Oh how we were so young and hopeful …
My original comment has not aged well.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 May 2021, 5:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I took a quick peek at the first few pages of this thread. Oh how we were so young and hopeful …
But who'd have thought it was going to turn in to this? I wasn't too concerned for the first couple of months, then people I knew were getting sick, people were dying in higher numbers and I began to worry more about my older family members health & safety.
Again, I'm totally surprised, but quite glad, that they were able to utilize some of the same research from SARS, in order to get a highly effective vaccine out so rapidly for virus mankind had never seen before.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
17 May 2021, 6:32pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
But who'd have thought it was going to turn in to this? I wasn't too concerned for the first couple of months, then people I knew were getting sick, people were dying in higher numbers and I began to worry more about my older family members health & safety.
Again, I'm totally surprised, but quite glad, that they were able to utilize some of the same research from SARS, in order to get a highly effective vaccine out so rapidly for virus mankind had never seen before.
Very true. Any experience we had with something like this had been with viruses stopped before they really disrupted society. I just could not comprehend that it would interfere with a vacation and the thought that it would take hold like it did was beyond my imagination.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 May 2021, 6:41pm
Sparky wrote:
17 May 2021, 6:32pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Very true. Any experience we had with something like this had been with viruses stopped before they really disrupted society. I just could not comprehend that it would interfere with a vacation and the thought that it would take hold like it did was beyond my imagination.
I figured (well, hoped) it would be more like SARS, which was barely disruptive.

Did anyone from our community ever test positive? I know we had some incidences of family members and friends testing positive (and a few succumbing), but I think we all avoided infection.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

I remember hearing about the first confirmed case in the US. Then a few days later it was 9 or 10, and it kept going up exponentially. Not sure if I thought it would get as bad as it has, but with Trump and the GOP in constant denial that there was even a problem, and considering the likelihood of exponential spread – yeah I thought this mess was a good possibility. I had already stocked up on groceries a few weeks before the mask mandate – something I never do – and skipped a Sabres game the week before the NHL shut down. This one just seemed different because of the political b.s., at least in the US. Not sure I thought we would hit over half a million dead here though.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Kimmelweck wrote:
17 May 2021, 7:12pm
I remember hearing about the first confirmed case in the US. Then a few days later it was 9 or 10, and it kept going up exponentially. Not sure if I thought it would get as bad as it has, but with Trump and the GOP in constant denial that there was even a problem, and considering the likelihood of exponential spread – yeah I thought this mess was a good possibility. I had already stocked up on groceries a few weeks before the mask mandate – something I never do – and skipped a Sabres game the week before the NHL shut down. This one just seemed different because of the political b.s., at least in the US. Not sure I thought we would hit over half a million dead here though.
As a kid I was rarely scared of monsters and ghosts. My anxiety was directed more at real things like murderers, pandemics, and natural disasters. I've been expecting this forever.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 May 2021, 2:02pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
As a kid I was rarely scared of monsters and ghosts. My anxiety was directed more at real things like murderers, pandemics, and natural disasters. I've been expecting this forever.
Me too. That and a nuclear accident/war. Yet both the pandemic and, early last year, a mistaken nuclear plant accident warning have left me rather meh, so the anxiety is wholly in my head.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2021, 3:13pm
Kory wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Me too. That and a nuclear accident/war. Yet both the pandemic and, early last year, a mistaken nuclear plant accident warning have left me rather meh, so the anxiety is wholly in my head.
Well they did both turn out to be the best we could hope for of a bad situation in some ways. As pandemics go, this one was pretty tame comparatively. Meanwhile, the PNW is "overdue" for a 9.0 earthquake, my greatest fear of all, so that's always in my head. Life is swell.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 May 2021, 3:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Well they did both turn out to be the best we could hope for of a bad situation in some ways. As pandemics go, this one was pretty tame comparatively. Meanwhile, the PNW is "overdue" for a 9.0 earthquake, my greatest fear of all, so that's always in my head. Life is swell.
When my niece, who lives Vancouver-ish, was around 9 and we were visiting, she told me quite earnestly how much she was scared of a tsunami coming ashore and destroying everything. I told her that Vancouver Island would absorb the wave, so she'd be fine. Who knows, maybe I was right. :huh:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2021, 4:00pm
Kory wrote:
18 May 2021, 3:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
When my niece, who lives Vancouver-ish, was around 9 and we were visiting, she told me quite earnestly how much she was scared of a tsunami coming ashore and destroying everything. I told her that Vancouver Island would absorb the wave, so she'd be fine. Who knows, maybe I was right. :huh:
I've heard conflicting opinions on this. There are those that say the peninsula would serve the same purpose but who knows.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Partially behind a paywall, but I managed to read snippets from other sites. Intelligence reports are pointing to the origin of the virus came from the lab.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/intelligen ... _lead_pos3

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Mimi wrote:
23 May 2021, 6:58pm
Partially behind a paywall, but I managed to read snippets from other sites. Intelligence reports are pointing to the origin of the virus came from the lab.
I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
23 May 2021, 9:47pm
Mimi wrote:
23 May 2021, 6:58pm
I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.
What? Lab accidents? Or articles like this?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

My daughter was told she had as asthma today. This seems to be a direct result of covid as she never had breathing issues before this and has always been pretty active and not exhibited breathing issues in the past.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
24 May 2021, 11:45am
My daughter was told she had as asthma today. This seems to be a direct result of covid as she never had breathing issues before this and has always been pretty active and not exhibited breathing issues in the past.
Yikes, I'm sorry to hear that. It's astounding the long term effects of this shit.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!