Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 8:32pm
Kory wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 8:08pm
tepista wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 7:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 7:58pm
Kory wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 7:55pm
We had a similar exchange about antifa a couple years ago too. I don't know why he brings this stuff up if he doesn't want to talk about it.
There's a fascinating thing where people with the worst and most ill-informed opinions insist on promoting them, and get annoyed when they don't find an appreciative audience.
Yeah, but Mr. Kory already knows his son is a libtard, so why does he stir the pot?
This has been my whole thing. He knows how I'm going to react, especially to the idea of bombing a nation of completely innocent people. Granted i raised my voice, but you shouldn’t ask people what they think of your polarizing opinion if you’re not prepared for them to disagree with you.
I have the fun scenario of my relatives being rather kneejerk social democrats. They make fairly uncritical, easy shots at conservative talking points and policies, so I get to come back at them most from the farther left and occasionally the right.
It's funny because I had been telling myself lately that the next time something like this happens I'm going to react calmly to it, and then my dad hits me with this conspiracy bullshit and it totally set me off because he had no evidence for it whatsoever. And the magic of parents is that now I feel like I'M the one that should apologize for raising my voice about it. But like Tep said, he has to have known what my opinion was going to be, and that was evidenced by the fact that I didn't say anything for a minute so he waited and then said "what do you think about that?" Like he was baiting me or something. I wish I was less emotional in my anger.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 8:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I have the fun scenario of my relatives being rather kneejerk social democrats. They make fairly uncritical, easy shots at conservative talking points and policies, so I get to come back at them most from the farther left and occasionally the right.
My family's political position is "registering to vote will get you jury duty"
As opposed to all the other things you do that will get you jury duty...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 8:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 7:58pm

There's a fascinating thing where people with the worst and most ill-informed opinions insist on promoting them, and get annoyed when they don't find an appreciative audience.
Yeah, but Mr. Kory already knows his son is a libtard, so why does he stir the pot?
This has been my whole thing. He knows how I'm going to react, especially to the idea of bombing a nation of completely innocent people. Granted i raised my voice, but you shouldn’t ask people what they think of your polarizing opinion if you’re not prepared for them to disagree with you.
It's funny because I had been telling myself lately that the next time something like this happens I'm going to react calmly to it, and then my dad hits me with this conspiracy bullshit and it totally set me off because he had no evidence for it whatsoever. And the magic of parents is that now I feel like I'M the one that should apologize for raising my voice about it. But like Tep said, he has to have known what my opinion was going to be, and that was evidenced by the fact that I didn't say anything for a minute so he waited and then said "what do you think about that?" Like he was baiting me or something. I wish I was less emotional in my anger.
Your emotions are closer to the surface. No sin in any of that. And if your parents aren't aware of that after all these years, that's on them. My family, I think, knows that I'll generate a bit of a wry smile as I listen but say nothing unless they ask my opinion. And then it's on them for asking. There's no mystery in any of this for adults, so nobody should be surprised or shocked by how it plays out.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I've got it. Your dad and his drinking buddies make bets on what he can make you say. "$20 says I can make my son say 'Black Lives Matter' in 3 minutes or less. OK, be quiet, I'm calling him now..."
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 8:53pm
I've got it. Your dad and his drinking buddies make bets on what he can make you say. "$20 says I can make my son say 'Black Lives Matter' in 3 minutes or less. OK, be quiet, I'm calling him now..."
My dad doesn't actually have any friends, so you're a bit off there. But it definitely whiffed of provocation.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 8:52pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
tepista wrote:

Your emotions are closer to the surface. No sin in any of that. And if your parents aren't aware of that after all these years, that's on them. My family, I think, knows that I'll generate a bit of a wry smile as I listen but say nothing unless they ask my opinion. And then it's on them for asking. There's no mystery in any of this for adults, so nobody should be surprised or shocked by how it plays out.
I wish I was more like that. It makes me feel kind of weak or out of control when I get excited about something like this. It certainly decreases my persuasive power.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 8:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 8:52pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I wish I was more like that. It makes me feel kind of weak or out of control when I get excited about something like this. It certainly decreases my persuasive power.
Being emotional is underrated. It demonstrates that shit matters to you.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

tepista wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 8:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
My family's political position is "registering to vote will get you jury duty"
Are we related?

BostonBeaneater

Can I share some good news?
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-26 at 6.27.21 PM.jpeg

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 10:32pm

Oh you got some vaccine? Can I borrow some?

BostonBeaneater

Kory wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 10:38pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Oh you got some vaccine? Can I borrow some?
I think the dam is about to break and we are moving to the Any Available Arm phase. My wife and I had the opportunity so we took it. I got the Pfizer vaccine at a local pharmacy. I hope we're all free of this soon.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:

You're autistic now?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 7:18am
BostonBeaneater wrote:

You're autistic now?
I was gonna say Way to go Rain Man

Also my sister who REFUSES to get a flu shot got the covid vax

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 9:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

You're autistic now?

Given that originally deniers claimed it was just the flu, that's even funnier.

(To my knowledge, I've never gotten a flu shot. Not out of any principle, mind you, beyond laziness.)

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 9:37am
revbob wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 9:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

You're autistic now?

Given that originally deniers claimed it was just the flu, that's even funnier.

(To my knowledge, I've never gotten a flu shot. Not out of any principle, mind you, beyond laziness.)
I got my first one this past November. I may have gotten one as a kid but certainly not since middle school. Again not a principled stand. Being able to go to the pharmacy to get one certainly made it easier.