Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by matedog »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 11:59pm
I've got to tell you, I'm over it. I did my part and got my shots so I feel like I've done my part. I will be careful and will respect those who seem to be more precautious than I do. I know like ten people who have contracted the omicron over the holidays and they were all vaxed and are all fine. For the most part they suffered a mild case of the common cold and would not have known unless they got tested for the thing.

When is this thing over? I think we need to be careful around the very young and the very old which is nothing new. If you are sick, stay home. Otherwise there is one threatened group, the unvaccinated by choice. Fuck them. The one's who brayed like ninnies about all the protocols are the same one's whinnying about vax mandates. These people are the epitome of sandbaggers and need to be refused welcome in polite society. It's time we all move on.

Lastly, it's time for folk's on the good side to drop the act. Maybe you have some special reason to wear a mask while riding a bike on a remote trail but I'd suspect most people don't. I'm through with the virtue signaling associated with masking. I think I'll probably mask up while on public transit and, sadly, avoid cloistered basement bars going forward. What I won't do is wear a mask while in my car by myself.
The issue for us is we have two kids not old enough to be vax’d. Coworker with a two year old got sick and it sounded like the kid had a rough time. Not hospitalization, just incessant coughing through the night. Having a sick newborn is no fun so we are ratcheting down everything.

Once vaccines are available for all ages, it seems like we can just reopen and take our precautions as you noted.

Also I used to mask when running but pre-vaccine. If I were running again, I might do it, but only lift it up when near people since I do mostly city running.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Dec 2021, 7:22am
gkbill wrote:
31 Dec 2021, 12:33am
The best thing to come out of this my be people seem to be washing their hands more often - especially after using a restroom.
A student this term said that he hoped that wearing a mask around others when you have a cold or the flu becomes common practice now. I'd be nice, certainly.
I can already see this being a real minority position. As soon as people aren't required to wear them, they won't.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 2:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
The best thing to come out of this my be people seem to be washing their hands more often - especially after using a restroom.
A student this term said that he hoped that wearing a mask around others when you have a cold or the flu becomes common practice now. I'd be nice, certainly.
I can already see this being a real minority position. As soon as people aren't required to wear them, they won't.
Definitely. Me included. I wear it without complaint but I whip it off as soon as I get outside. I feel quite constricted while wearing one.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 2:30pm
Kory wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 2:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Definitely. Me included. I wear it without complaint but I whip it off as soon as I get outside. I feel quite constricted while wearing one.
I don't mind them even outside but I get why some people do. I'd rather people just stayed home if they're sick rather than wear a mask in public. Hire me to pick up your groceries—I only charge a very small fortune.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

My daughter called to let me know her two roommates both have covid.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 10:10am
My daughter called to let me know her two roommates both have covid.
It really is amazing how commonplace it is now. A few months ago, most of us were avoiding it, but now it's just awash. Fingers crossed that it's a blessing that results in the long hoped for herd immunity and not something that ends up collapsing our various health care systems.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I'm down with it...but feel pretty much fine. An extended Christmas holiday is the bonus.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
06 Jan 2022, 1:06pm
I'm down with it...but feel pretty much fine. An extended Christmas holiday is the bonus.
Get better soon Guv'nor!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Get well soon, Hes!
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
You're double dipping on this covid stuff huh?

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
Sorry to hear that, hope you get to feeling better soon.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
Good health and quick, mate
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Heston wrote:
Get well soon. Laxgirl and I both got it but we are out of Covid jail now. She didn't have any symptoms, I had the sore throat/cold symptoms, so not too bad but ruined Christmas and the New Year holidays unfortunately.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Thanks guys. I seem to have timed this well if any time is a good time.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Get better, brother. We all know that you must succumb at my hands, with the sound of Swans the last you hear, not some dang bat virus. :cool: