Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Flex »

beanie needs to close down his kissing booth, sad to say
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 10:33pm
I see numbers are creeping back up in Mass. Stay safe Beaneater.
I'm glad I went to the Cape when I did. It's been a total shitshow down there, parties and drinking and all that. Besides my wife I don't think I come within 10 feet of more that 3-4 other people a month. I don't trust most people, never have. It's not that I think they're bad, just really fucking dumb.

BostonBeaneater

Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 10:52pm
beanie needs to close down his kissing booth, sad to say
The Fair must go on.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Now they're talking about face shields and goggles for extra protection.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Two cruise ships hit by coronavirus weeks after industry restarts...

Who would go on one of these death barges at this point?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 11:22am

I imagine there are some good deals to be had, and if you know that it's all a big hoax/no worse than the flu, hey, a bargain is a bargain. I mean, hell, the cruise industry relies on people ignorant of health risks anyway, so …
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 12:11pm
revbob wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 11:22am

I imagine there are some good deals to be had, and if you know that it's all a big hoax/no worse than the flu, hey, a bargain is a bargain. I mean, hell, the cruise industry relies on people ignorant of health risks anyway, so …
I was disgusted by cruise ships long before this. Who gets on these filth tubs. Even the toilets at Port Authority can catch some fresh air from 9th Ave. The inside of those boats are blocks from the breeze and loaded with recycled poo water. I can't even think about a cruise ship without retching.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater

It's really a war against stunning stupidity.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 10:46pm
Notice when the guy goes to call the cops the BF speaks up and says the cops are gonna come and you dont want that AGAIN. So she's done this shit before.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 7:19am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 10:46pm
Notice when the guy goes to call the cops the BF speaks up and says the cops are gonna come and you dont want that AGAIN. So she's done this shit before.
I don't think anyone deserves to catch COVID, but some people deserve to catch COVID.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 7:04pm
They gave us 2 options: full time virtual or in person Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday (with no school Wednesday so they can do a deep clean). We chose the virtual option. It means a lot more work on our end, but it just made more sense. We're not doomsday COVID types, but I do feel like schools very well might be the next hotbed. This initial phase will last 2 months and then the district will assess again.

The crazy thing is that it feels like every district in the county is doing it differently. We have a handful that are completely open for business. I think those districts (many are in very white, solidly Conservative areas) are going to face a rude awakening the first time someone comes down with COVID and they have to scramble to shut down.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 8:19am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 7:04pm
They gave us 2 options: full time virtual or in person Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday (with no school Wednesday so they can do a deep clean). We chose the virtual option. It means a lot more work on our end, but it just made more sense. We're not doomsday COVID types, but I do feel like schools very well might be the next hotbed. This initial phase will last 2 months and then the district will assess again.

The crazy thing is that it feels like every district in the county is doing it differently. We have a handful that are completely open for business. I think those districts (many are in very white, solidly Conservative areas) are going to face a rude awakening the first time someone comes down with COVID and they have to scramble to shut down.
Yeah the schools will be the new breeding ground.

This is the time to consider a full nationwide 2 week quarantine period.

This would require the gov actually taking care of some of its citizens tbough.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:

Your caution is quite sensible. You're right that it's more work, but the risk otherwise makes it worthwhile. It's crazy how many schools—I'm thinking mainly of universities now—in the US who didn't consider the idea of not having in-person classes this fall and are now scrambling as faculty members rebel. Like, who could have foreseen that, duh. My school was having these conversations in April. Tho there haven't been discussions about how classes are going to be handled in the Winter term, I've already decided that if I can teach online, I'm going to (and I'd be surprised if they don't give us the option). The virus has made its way thru old age homes and is now finding viability in young people who, like most young people, think they're invincible and do stupid things, especially while drinking or puffing. Why the hell would I want to subject myself to being in the presence of hundreds and hundreds of them if I don't have to?

The curious thing is that I'm not especially worried about becoming infected and dying. If it happens, there you go—I've gotten my share out of this life. But I don't need to possibly infect others and/or put them at risk by being present. And I really don't want to get infected and have my health compromised for the rest of my life—that's worse than dying for me.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 9:29am
WestwayKid wrote:

Your caution is quite sensible. You're right that it's more work, but the risk otherwise makes it worthwhile. It's crazy how many schools—I'm thinking mainly of universities now—in the US who didn't consider the idea of not having in-person classes this fall and are now scrambling as faculty members rebel. Like, who could have foreseen that, duh. My school was having these conversations in April. Tho there haven't been discussions about how classes are going to be handled in the Winter term, I've already decided that if I can teach online, I'm going to (and I'd be surprised if they don't give us the option). The virus has made its way thru old age homes and is now finding viability in young people who, like most young people, think they're invincible and do stupid things, especially while drinking or puffing. Why the hell would I want to subject myself to being in the presence of hundreds and hundreds of them if I don't have to?

The curious thing is that I'm not especially worried about becoming infected and dying. If it happens, there you go—I've gotten my share out of this life. But I don't need to possibly infect others and/or put them at risk by being present. And I really don't want to get infected and have my health compromised for the rest of my life—that's worse than dying for me.
The new fad for the rich in the northeast is to buy a teacher for your neighborhood and host a proxy school in the three car garage.

My sister is slated to start teaching kindergarten in two weeks and there is no decent plan yet.