The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Post by Silent Majority »

"Dead, probably."
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I've seen a subtle, yet noticeable shift away from COVID coverage in our local news outlets. They're still there, but they make up far less of the headlines than before. Even daily case updates no loner appear to carry much weight. The virus is obviously still out there, but I'm curious about the shift. COVID fatigue? A desire to return to normal? An acceptance that this thing is just going to be here? I don't mind it. I was definitely getting worn out by the constant reporting.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

WestwayKid wrote:
25 May 2020, 12:54pm
I've seen a subtle, yet noticeable shift away from COVID coverage in our local news outlets. They're still there, but they make up far less of the headlines than before. Even daily case updates no loner appear to carry much weight. The virus is obviously still out there, but I'm curious about the shift. COVID fatigue? A desire to return to normal? An acceptance that this thing is just going to be here? I don't mind it. I was definitely getting worn out by the constant reporting.
It hampers money making
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
25 May 2020, 2:25pm
WestwayKid wrote:
25 May 2020, 12:54pm
It hampers money making
Plus the essence of commercial media is spectacle and passivity. And anything we become used to is not spectacular. Gotta keep moving on to new distractions that outrage and amuse, but nevertheless confirm spectatorship.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Pub’s open (with some restrictions) but despite my excitement and the fact it is less than 100m walk I didn’t go on the weekend in favour of a quite beer at home.
Just didn’t fancy the crowd or the constant reminder that we were still under restrictions. Would have seemed false.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

101Walterton wrote:
25 May 2020, 3:34pm
Pub’s open (with some restrictions) but despite my excitement and the fact it is less than 100m walk I didn’t go on the weekend in favour of a quite beer at home.
Just didn’t fancy the crowd or the constant reminder that we were still under restrictions. Would have seemed false.
I'm taking the 'you first' approach to going out again. The pub will be there when I decide to go in on a random Tuesday at 4pm a month or two.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 May 2020, 6:20pm
101Walterton wrote:
I'm taking the 'you first' approach to going out again. The pub will be there when I decide to go in on a random Tuesday at 4pm a month or two.
A friend emailed a few days ago to see if I'd be up for drinks in a few weeks if things have opened up. I'm skeptical that they will be, but even so I'm not terribly keen on venturing out, especially the way people have been behaving as restrictions have eased. Much rather sit in the back yard with him than head to a bar.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2020, 6:41pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
A friend emailed a few days ago to see if I'd be up for drinks in a few weeks if things have opened up. I'm skeptical that they will be, but even so I'm not terribly keen on venturing out, especially the way people have been behaving as restrictions have eased. Much rather sit in the back yard with him than head to a bar.
Yeah right now that would be my preference too especially with the nice weather.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
25 May 2020, 6:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Yeah right now that would be my preference too especially with the nice weather.
I think there is a misconception among business people that with the quarantine lifted that things will just go back to the way they were. They won't.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 May 2020, 7:04pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I think there is a misconception among business people that with the quarantine lifted that things will just go back to the way they were. They won't.
I would like a lot of things to go back to the way they were but this isnt a binary thing. You can't just declare everything safe because thats how people want it. 100,000 dead in this country in six months is a lot

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 May 2020, 7:04pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I've read predictions that upwards of 75% of bars and restaurants won't return—partly being compromised these past few months, but partly going forward people's disinclination to go out (at least until/if a vaccine emerges). Our previous unconscious sense of safety in numbers has been kicked in the gut and it's going to be a long time for that to go away. Predicting that the 2020s will be the agoraphobic decade isn't the craziest thing.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

There is a popular tourist area just across the Wisconsin border from Illinois called Lake Geneva. By all accounts it was packed this past weekend: restaurants, beaches, shops. It's hard to get a read on how people will react now that things are opening back up. My neighbors are a couple in their late 70's and talking to the wife on Friday morning she was very excited to be able to go out to their favorite bar that night. I feel like in states/areas that were hard hit the response time might be slower, but in a place like Wisconsin it might move quicker.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 May 2020, 3:50pm
There is a popular tourist area just across the Wisconsin border from Illinois called Lake Geneva. By all accounts it was packed this past weekend: restaurants, beaches, shops. It's hard to get a read on how people will react now that things are opening back up. My neighbors are a couple in their late 70's and talking to the wife on Friday morning she was very excited to be able to go out to their favorite bar that night. I feel like in states/areas that were hard hit the response time might be slower, but in a place like Wisconsin it might move quicker.
More curious to me is how people respond when the next wave hits. Do people shrug their shoulders and say dem's da breaks, or does it make people think, "Oh yeah, that's why we quarantined"?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 4:13pm
WestwayKid wrote:
More curious to me is how people respond when the next wave hits. Do people shrug their shoulders and say dem's da breaks, or does it make people think, "Oh yeah, that's why we quarantined"?
What concerns me is that any future wave or new pandemic (highly likely) will never get the same compliance even this one got. It worked here because people were compliant but they are over it and I don’t think in a year, 2 years or whenever you will get the same response. It will be remembered as OTT.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
26 May 2020, 4:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 4:13pm
WestwayKid wrote:
What concerns me is that any future wave or new pandemic (highly likely) will never get the same compliance even this one got. It worked here because people were compliant but they are over it and I don’t think in a year, 2 years or whenever you will get the same response. It will be remembered as OTT.
If the other option is widespread death, you think people will just throw up their hands and say, "Oh well, guess I'll die"? Maybe that will happen, but I hope we're not that fatalistic/suicidal. Human beings are hardwired to be really adaptable. I guess the question is whether we learn to adapt to restrictions or to the possibility of contracting a fatal virus by being in a crowd.