The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 May 2021, 6:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2021, 6:17pm
Kory wrote:
07 May 2021, 5:59pm
Sparky wrote:
07 May 2021, 5:56pm
I recall there was some talk here in the US a few months back about pushing out the 2nd does in order to get more 1st doses in arms, but I think they gave up on that plan after we got 3 suppliers in the game (Moderna, Pfizer, J&J).
Also, a bunch of idiots don't want to be vaxxed, so that would have been a waste anyway. So much for herd immunity, let's live with it forever because we can't force morons to do the right thing!
Can't help but think that the mouthbreathers changed the strategy. Why let the doses go to waste, so do the boosters sooner than later. And then, of course, when certain parts of the country recovers while others slug along because of new waves, they can posit conspiracy theories about how libruls are intentionally infecting real Americans.
It would be pretty genius if it was on purpose.
Save for in the fevered imagination of Satches, liberals are not nearly that clever.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 May 2021, 6:40pm
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.6022545
Ontario's tire fire burns strong. :rolleyes:
But you're still on for your second does in September?
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
11 May 2021, 6:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Funny, just got an email from the hospital saying that until things are clarified, the second dose is cancelled. For something four months away, tho, I'm not concerned about myself.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 May 2021, 6:58pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Funny, just got an email from the hospital saying that until things are clarified, the second dose is cancelled. For something four months away, tho, I'm not concerned about myself.
Wow, what a cluster fark. We tried and tried to get vaxed by the government run sites and struck out, wound up going through a pharmacy chain to get ours. Now that we've had 2 shots each, we're getting texts & emails telling us they're available and to schedule appointments.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
11 May 2021, 7:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 May 2021, 6:58pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wow, what a cluster fark. We tried and tried to get vaxed by the government run sites and struck out, wound up going through a pharmacy chain to get ours. Now that we've had 2 shots each, we're getting texts & emails telling us they're available and to schedule appointments.
This has been wholly wretched, and no surprise that the provinces with conservative governments have been the worst. For the past week, Alberta has had the worst infection rate in North America (I read that at one point its rate was worse than India, but can't confirm). When you elect people whose primary argument is that government doesn't work, you're completely fucked when you need government to work.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

For those not from here — the background to all this is that the provincial government is actively running a campaign to blame the federal government for everything going wrong.

This morning the provincial solicitor general told the press the province didn't have any more AZ coming in (basically); a few minutes later the federal government put out a release saying that in fact 660k+ were coming in over the next few weeks, plus 1m over June; the province hastily arranges a press conference in the afternoon on 30 minutes' notice announcing they wouldn't be giving out any AZ first doses anymore due to higher-than-expected blood clot stuff. So a lot of politics being played here.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Inder wrote:
11 May 2021, 7:24pm
For those not from here — the background to all this is that the provincial government is actively running a campaign to blame the federal government for everything going wrong.

This morning the provincial solicitor general told the press the province didn't have any more AZ coming in (basically); a few minutes later the federal government put out a release saying that in fact 660k+ were coming in over the next few weeks, plus 1m over June; the province hastily arranges a press conference in the afternoon on 30 minutes' notice announcing they wouldn't be giving out any AZ first doses anymore due to higher-than-expected blood clot stuff. So a lot of politics being played here.
No, I wasn't aware of that, what a mess.

We had something similar here in the States with a little thing called "Project Warp Speed", which sounds more like a Star Wars spin off. Turns out once the new administration took over, they found it was nothing more than a catch phrase, they then inherited a lot of heavy lifting that needed to be done in order to get the vaccines fully rolled out. It's not perfect, but given that mankind had never encountered this virus before, I'm very relieved with the progress that's been made in developing an effective vaccine and getting it distributed so quickly to the masses.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Sparky wrote:
11 May 2021, 7:37pm
Inder wrote:
11 May 2021, 7:24pm

No, I wasn't aware of that, what a mess.

We had something similar here in the States with a little thing called "Project Warp Speed", which sounds more like a Star Wars spin off. Turns out once the new administration took over, they found it was nothing more than a catch phrase, they then inherited a lot of heavy lifting that needed to be done in order to get the vaccines fully rolled out. It's not perfect, but given that mankind had never encountered this virus before, I'm very relieved with the progress that's been made in developing an effective vaccine and getting it distributed so quickly to the masses.
Definitely. I was of the mind that we were never actually going to get one—a lot of articles were musing on that idea. It would have made it a lot harder to make the decision of when to finally leave the house.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 May 2021, 12:42pm
Definitely. I was of the mind that we were never actually going to get one—a lot of articles were musing on that idea. It would have made it a lot harder to make the decision of when to finally leave the house.
That's a curious hypothetical. If researchers concluded that, in essence, nope, a vaccine was beyond the capabilities of science, what would we as a species do? Would we adopt some kind of permanent mask culture to minimize infection or would we go full Darwin and let perish those who are going to perish?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 May 2021, 12:48pm
Kory wrote:
That's a curious hypothetical. If researchers concluded that, in essence, nope, a vaccine was beyond the capabilities of science, what would we as a species do? Would we adopt some kind of permanent mask culture to minimize infection or would we go full Darwin and let perish those who are going to perish?
Well didn't we see how it would play out? At least for 9 months or so.

What would have been interesting is how it would have played out if it hadn't been politicized.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Most articles were proposing a combo of both. Given that masks aren't 100% effective, it's a bit of a given that we would eventually just have to let people get infected, intentionally or not. As it is, we're going to be living with it forever anyway since anti-vaxxers run the world.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Absolutely we would have gone full Darwin, at least in the US. I mean, half the country wanted/wants to do that when we actually have a vaccine. If the public was told "there is no vaccine, we need to modify our behavior forever" people would just get used to the idea that you're basically a sacrifice to the virus at age 65.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
12 May 2021, 12:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Absolutely we would have gone full Darwin, at least in the US. I mean, half the country wanted/wants to do that when we actually have a vaccine. If the public was told "there is no vaccine, we need to modify our behavior forever" people would just get used to the idea that you're basically a sacrifice to the virus at age 65.
If you're correct, that does not bode well for dealing with climate change. And I mean dealing with it once a lot of options are no longer available.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 May 2021, 12:58pm
If you're correct, that does not bode well for dealing with climate change. And I mean dealing with it once a lot of options are no longer available.
Oh yeah, given the response to this pandemic, I've completely given up any hope that climate change is addressable at literally any point in the future no matter how bad anything gets. Our civilization is going to burn.

Faux Addendum: I mean, not really. I'm more optimistic than that, but I'm feeling sort of cynical this morning.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!