The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
12 May 2021, 1:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 May 2021, 12:58pm
If you're correct, that does not bode well for dealing with climate change. And I mean dealing with it once a lot of options are no longer available.
Oh yeah, given the response to this pandemic, I've completely given up any hope that climate change is addressable at literally any point in the future no matter how bad anything gets. Our civilization is going to burn.

Faux Addendum: I mean, not really. I'm more optimistic than that, but I'm feeling sort of cynical this morning.
I'll take your pessimism. I would bet everything I had on it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 May 2021, 1:26pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
If you're correct, that does not bode well for dealing with climate change. And I mean dealing with it once a lot of options are no longer available.
Oh yeah, given the response to this pandemic, I've completely given up any hope that climate change is addressable at literally any point in the future no matter how bad anything gets. Our civilization is going to burn.

Faux Addendum: I mean, not really. I'm more optimistic than that, but I'm feeling sort of cynical this morning.
Whenever I'm prepared to surrender to pessimism, I remind myself that I've been wrong on a whole lot of things in my life. Not everything, of course, but enough not to be confident in my doomcasting.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 May 2021, 1:29pm
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Whenever I'm prepared to surrender to pessimism, I remind myself that I've been wrong on a whole lot of things in my life. Not everything, of course, but enough not to be confident in my doomcasting.
Conversely, I've found that expecting negatives outcomes usually turns out right. Especially when there's still money to be made and shareholders to placate.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Good news in the UK the other day, no deaths from Covid. About 70% of adults have had vaccine. The fucking NHS is the only good thing about England.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 May 2021, 2:51pm
Good news in the UK the other day, no deaths from Covid. About 70% of adults have had vaccine. The fucking NHS is the only good thing about England.
Those numbers are fantastic.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 May 2021, 2:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Conversely, I've found that expecting negatives outcomes usually turns out right. Especially when there's still money to be made and shareholders to placate.
Perhaps, but I've come to prefer to emphasize our better natures. I'm wrong a lot of the time, but I take little satisfaction in being right about people doing awful things.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 May 2021, 3:30pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:

Perhaps, but I've come to prefer to emphasize our better natures. I'm wrong a lot of the time, but I take little satisfaction in being right about people doing awful things.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the feeling. It just happens too often for me to ignore.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 May 2021, 3:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 May 2021, 3:30pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the feeling. It just happens too often for me to ignore.
And it's basically my nature to be pessimistic or cynical. But I've made the decision to ignore it as much as possible.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
12 May 2021, 12:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 May 2021, 12:48pm
That's a curious hypothetical. If researchers concluded that, in essence, nope, a vaccine was beyond the capabilities of science, what would we as a species do? Would we adopt some kind of permanent mask culture to minimize infection or would we go full Darwin and let perish those who are going to perish?
Absolutely we would have gone full Darwin, at least in the US. I mean, half the country wanted/wants to do that when we actually have a vaccine. If the public was told "there is no vaccine, we need to modify our behavior forever" people would just get used to the idea that you're basically a sacrifice to the virus at age 65.
I'm afraid we'd have all been domed to extinction had the US government not forced some policies, as unpleasant as they may have been, with masks and closures. The real shame is the anti-vaxxers / team flat earth types are likely to hinder us in achieving herd immunity. Bottom line, their stubbornness is going to make this thing drag on and on and on.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Sparky wrote:
12 May 2021, 4:52pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's a curious hypothetical. If researchers concluded that, in essence, nope, a vaccine was beyond the capabilities of science, what would we as a species do? Would we adopt some kind of permanent mask culture to minimize infection or would we go full Darwin and let perish those who are going to perish?
Absolutely we would have gone full Darwin, at least in the US. I mean, half the country wanted/wants to do that when we actually have a vaccine. If the public was told "there is no vaccine, we need to modify our behavior forever" people would just get used to the idea that you're basically a sacrifice to the virus at age 65.
I'm afraid we'd have all been domed to extinction had the US government not forced some policies, as unpleasant as they may have been, with masks and closures. The real shame is the anti-vaxxers / team flat earth types are likely to hinder us in achieving herd immunity. Bottom line, their stubbornness is going to make this thing drag on and on and on.
I was reading that we're already past the point that we could have achieved herd immunity. It's supposedly too late now, though that was just one article.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I get jab 2 tomorrow.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 May 2021, 6:28pm
I get jab 2 tomorrow.
The idea of you with invulnerability is alarming. Will you be able to risk the temptation to commit evil?

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kory wrote:
12 May 2021, 5:53pm
Sparky wrote:
12 May 2021, 4:52pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I was reading that we're already past the point that we could have achieved herd immunity. It's supposedly too late now, though that was just one article.
I may have just read the same article online at the New York Times site. They seem to believe that we'll never reach it in the US, but with vaccinations it would become a "controllable threat", I guess somewhat like the flu each winter, except the COVID would be year round.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 May 2021, 6:48pm
revbob wrote:
I get jab 2 tomorrow.
The idea of you with invulnerability is alarming. Will you be able to risk the temptation to commit evil?
No more, no less than before

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 May 2021, 7:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 May 2021, 6:48pm
revbob wrote:
I get jab 2 tomorrow.
No more, no less than before
The Ben and Jerry Guardians of Justice will remain vigilant.