The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Post by Marky Dread »

weller259 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 4:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 4:17pm
weller259 wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 4:03pm
Wow. Thank you, all, for your very kind words, I greatly appreciate them.
That's the thing about life, sometimes you have to make a choice that changes everything. Then you must live with the consequences.

Then again, i'm a life-long New York Jets fan, so I do know a bit about long-term suffering. lol.

Again, I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you for your kind wishes and words. I am humbled by them, and truly grateful for them.
You're a good geezer so no need to feel humble. It takes a lot in this life to be committed and put yourself second. You done good mate.

Can I ask is the "Weller" your surname or a nod to an old mod we all know?
the "Weller259" was one of the first internet identities/screen names I made when I first got on AOL wayyy back when, as a sort of secondary email address (I was not internet-savvy at that time) and when I joined the precursor to this site I decided to use that. Totally due to Paul Weller of the Jam who I have always really liked. It is not my surname or anything cool like that, lol.
Thank you for your kind words, Marky. I am very grateful.
Cheers for the info. The reason for asking is because I'm currently working on a load of unreleased Jam demos. I'll get them to you when I'm finished.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

revbob wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 4:36pm
weller259 wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 4:42pm
Yes, I am paying the price for that now (and every day) in my life, but I know in my heart and soul that I did the right thing by her and I have no regrets about how my decision made her last 15+ years happy ones for her. That outweighs the regrets I have about how my choice affected my life.
Great work. The price you would be paying had you made the other choice would no doubt have no doubt been unbearable.
Yes, I realized I would never have been able to live with myself had I chosen differently. Nowadays when people ask me why I am not married or have a successful career or profession I say something flippant like "I'm hoping to win the Megaball jackpot" and that usually ends the conversation thread, lol.
It would be nice to have a wife and kids, and a successful career, but I did what my heart told me to do and I always follow my heart in life, for better or worse.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back in the winter, I was asked about my teaching preferences for 2021/22. I knew the university was hoping to bring back a limited number of in-person classes, but I figured it'd be for the sciences, where physical presence matters more. So I said that I didn't care one way or another (besides, I'm a sessional instructor, so I never feel I'm in a position to say I won't do this or that, y'know?). Much to my surprise, I'm teaching in-person this fall. Partly, anyway. One-quarter of the students will be allowed in the room, the others have to watch online. Which means I'll have about ten or eleven people in a room that holds 75. Still, I'm looking forward to being in the same room with students—nothing beats that kind of proximity. My only hesitation is how to run discussions, but I'll be sitting in on a training webinar next week for the bimodal system. If the first discussion bombs, I figure I'll tell everyone that we're doing the other couple online exclusively.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 2:41pm
Back in the winter, I was asked about my teaching preferences for 2021/22. I knew the university was hoping to bring back a limited number of in-person classes, but I figured it'd be for the sciences, where physical presence matters more. So I said that I didn't care one way or another (besides, I'm a sessional instructor, so I never feel I'm in a position to say I won't do this or that, y'know?). Much to my surprise, I'm teaching in-person this fall. Partly, anyway. One-quarter of the students will be allowed in the room, the others have to watch online. Which means I'll have about ten or eleven people in a room that holds 75. Still, I'm looking forward to being in the same room with students—nothing beats that kind of proximity. My only hesitation is how to run discussions, but I'll be sitting in on a training webinar next week for the bimodal system. If the first discussion bombs, I figure I'll tell everyone that we're doing the other couple online exclusively.
Hello,

This past semester, we were hybrid for lecture classes - half of the class came on Tuesdays, the other half was attending via Zoom; reverse the roles on Thursdays. Make sure you have a second (or third) monitor to view students. Make sure they activate their cameras. Use your monitors to watch and speak with students on Zoom. Some faculty here forget remote students and only speak with students in the room. You may be able to get conversations with some on Zoom - kind of the same as face-to-face students. If you are not using a powerpoint, you can try putting the thumbnails of students on Zoom on your big screen in the lecture hall and having a discussion among students both remote and in the room. I tried this and the logistics worked but overall I didn't think it was worth attempting. Breakout rooms work best when you have a facilitator in each room based on my experiences. I've only used breakout rooms a few times as I don't have teaching assistants or facilitators.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 3:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 2:41pm
Hello,

This past semester, we were hybrid for lecture classes - half of the class came on Tuesdays, the other half was attending via Zoom; reverse the roles on Thursdays. Make sure you have a second (or third) monitor to view students. Make sure they activate their cameras. Use your monitors to watch and speak with students on Zoom. Some faculty here forget remote students and only speak with students in the room. You may be able to get conversations with some on Zoom - kind of the same as face-to-face students. If you are not using a powerpoint, you can try putting the thumbnails of students on Zoom on your big screen in the lecture hall and having a discussion among students both remote and in the room. I tried this and the logistics worked but overall I didn't think it was worth attempting. Breakout rooms work best when you have a facilitator in each room based on my experiences. I've only used breakout rooms a few times as I don't have teaching assistants or facilitators.
Unfortunately I have zero knowledge of how the tech will work in these rooms beyond there being a camera. I assume that's what this webinar will cover, but until I do it I don't know. My hope is that it's Zoom or Teams or whatever and I'll have a devoted monitor for that, to see if someone has their virtual hand-up (ideally that monitor will be hanging from the ceiling rather than the one at the podium, so I can keep looking at the room rather than down at the podium monitor). A colleague has heard that each room will have an assigned tech person to handle all this, but I'm skeptical. That's a lot of people for the university to hire. It's all an adventure and it'll undoubtedly go smoother than any of my anxieties.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

And now I've learned that maybe I will get some in-class assistance. Funding is being provided for TA's to do in-class tech hoo-ha. I don't know whether I'll be eligible because the course wouldn't normally be eligible for a TA—class size reasons—but I've made inquiries.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 2:29pm
And now I've learned that maybe I will get some in-class assistance. Funding is being provided for TA's to do in-class tech hoo-ha. I don't know whether I'll be eligible because the course wouldn't normally be eligible for a TA—class size reasons—but I've made inquiries.
Hello,

Unless you're planning on using the TA for actual instruction (e.g., lead discussion groups), you generally only need them for the first two weeks or so. In the few instances I've had TA's, they would end up bringing reading for their classes into my class.

Before anyone comments - yes, I used an abbreviation. TA (or GA - more common in athletics) is pretty standard in education.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Get me 6 figures and I'll be your Tech Boy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 2:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Unless you're planning on using the TA for actual instruction (e.g., lead discussion groups), you generally only need them for the first two weeks or so. In the few instances I've had TA's, they would end up bringing reading for their classes into my class.

Before anyone comments - yes, I used an abbreviation. TA (or GA - more common in athletics) is pretty standard in education.
These TAs, as I gather, are only available for classroom use (34 hours). I expect I'd only use them to monitor the virtual class—handle the chat, whether there are questions, etc. Leading discussions wouldn't work because of the hour restrictions (i.e., no time allowance for them to do the reading). So, yeah, I would think they'd be there only so my eyes aren't trying to keep track of too many things. If I don't get a TA, meh, it's fine. Students have been pretty tolerant and forgiving of tech snafus and slowdowns.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Heston wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 7:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 7:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 6:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 5:55pm
Not wishing to miss the greater point of the story and being glad that Marky made it thru with health and humour improved, but … buying your second house at age 23? Are you a Nigerian prince?
Ha! more like an English pauper. I bought my first house at 20, second at 23 and third at 24. I lived in the 3rd house for 30 years. Then the relationship failed this time my ex went off with a police sergeant. So estate agents and policemen are not my favourite people.

I then moved in with my mum and stepfather to help out with his bad health. He sadly passed away Christmas before last. So just my mum and I now. I'm semi retired and haven't worked for the last three years.

May look for some part time work but not much need to as pretty secure financially. Still not quite that Nigerian prince.
The idea of buying a home at 20 is wild. We didn't buy our first until we were, I think, 31.

You're a damned good son for living with and caring for your mother. I'm not sure I could have done that.
I'm still renting at fucking 52. But I don't give a shit about money as long as I have enough to survive. My relationship of 9 years ended today but onwards and upwards. Who knows what life throws at you next? Grab the future by the face always.
Sorry to hear that, Heston.

The Future is Unwritten, as you said earlier in this thread.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mr. Lordi gets his shot.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 9:30am
https://i.redd.it/zliisa926xe71.jpg
Mr. Lordi gets his shot.
Hell yeah
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Spiff wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 4:15pm
Heston wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 7:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 7:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 6:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 5:55pm
Not wishing to miss the greater point of the story and being glad that Marky made it thru with health and humour improved, but … buying your second house at age 23? Are you a Nigerian prince?
Ha! more like an English pauper. I bought my first house at 20, second at 23 and third at 24. I lived in the 3rd house for 30 years. Then the relationship failed this time my ex went off with a police sergeant. So estate agents and policemen are not my favourite people.

I then moved in with my mum and stepfather to help out with his bad health. He sadly passed away Christmas before last. So just my mum and I now. I'm semi retired and haven't worked for the last three years.

May look for some part time work but not much need to as pretty secure financially. Still not quite that Nigerian prince.
The idea of buying a home at 20 is wild. We didn't buy our first until we were, I think, 31.

You're a damned good son for living with and caring for your mother. I'm not sure I could have done that.
I'm still renting at fucking 52. But I don't give a shit about money as long as I have enough to survive. My relationship of 9 years ended today but onwards and upwards. Who knows what life throws at you next? Grab the future by the face always.
Sorry to hear that, Heston.

The Future is Unwritten, as you said earlier in this thread.
Thanks mate, appreciated. I actually got asked out on a date last week and had a few drinks with her on Saturday. It went well so let's see what the future writes!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 11:58am
I actually got asked out on a date last week and had a few drinks with her on Saturday. It went well so let's see what the future writes!
[internal Heston monologue]: Don'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISS
Her: What are you thinking about?
Heston: Starship!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 12:16pm
Heston wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 11:58am
I actually got asked out on a date last week and had a few drinks with her on Saturday. It went well so let's see what the future writes!
[internal Heston monologue]: Don'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISSDon'ttalkaboutKISS
Her: What are you thinking about?
Heston: Starship!
:mrgreen:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board