The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 4:38pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 May 2020, 4:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 4:13pm
WestwayKid wrote:
26 May 2020, 3:50pm
There is a popular tourist area just across the Wisconsin border from Illinois called Lake Geneva. By all accounts it was packed this past weekend: restaurants, beaches, shops. It's hard to get a read on how people will react now that things are opening back up. My neighbors are a couple in their late 70's and talking to the wife on Friday morning she was very excited to be able to go out to their favorite bar that night. I feel like in states/areas that were hard hit the response time might be slower, but in a place like Wisconsin it might move quicker.
More curious to me is how people respond when the next wave hits. Do people shrug their shoulders and say dem's da breaks, or does it make people think, "Oh yeah, that's why we quarantined"?
What concerns me is that any future wave or new pandemic (highly likely) will never get the same compliance even this one got. It worked here because people were compliant but they are over it and I don’t think in a year, 2 years or whenever you will get the same response. It will be remembered as OTT.
If the other option is widespread death, you think people will just throw up their hands and say, "Oh well, guess I'll die"? Maybe that will happen, but I hope we're not that fatalistic/suicidal. Human beings are hardwired to be really adaptable. I guess the question is whether we learn to adapt to restrictions or to the possibility of contracting a fatal virus by being in a crowd.
Yes but that didn’t happen ‘here’.
We had 21 deaths all traced to a very few clusters in particular 2 OAP homes. Not sure the connect is made to what happens overseas much in the same way as no one bats an eyelid at an Ebola outbreak in Rowanda.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
25 May 2020, 3:34pm
Pub’s open (with some restrictions) but despite my excitement and the fact it is less than 100m walk I didn’t go on the weekend in favour of a quite beer at home.
Just didn’t fancy the crowd or the constant reminder that we were still under restrictions. Would have seemed false.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
26 May 2020, 4:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
There is a popular tourist area just across the Wisconsin border from Illinois called Lake Geneva. By all accounts it was packed this past weekend: restaurants, beaches, shops. It's hard to get a read on how people will react now that things are opening back up. My neighbors are a couple in their late 70's and talking to the wife on Friday morning she was very excited to be able to go out to their favorite bar that night. I feel like in states/areas that were hard hit the response time might be slower, but in a place like Wisconsin it might move quicker.
More curious to me is how people respond when the next wave hits. Do people shrug their shoulders and say dem's da breaks, or does it make people think, "Oh yeah, that's why we quarantined"?
What concerns me is that any future wave or new pandemic (highly likely) will never get the same compliance even this one got. It worked here because people were compliant but they are over it and I don’t think in a year, 2 years or whenever you will get the same response. It will be remembered as OTT.
If the other option is widespread death, you think people will just throw up their hands and say, "Oh well, guess I'll die"? Maybe that will happen, but I hope we're not that fatalistic/suicidal. Human beings are hardwired to be really adaptable. I guess the question is whether we learn to adapt to restrictions or to the possibility of contracting a fatal virus by being in a crowd.
We had 21 deaths all traced to a very few clusters in particular 2 OAP homes. Not sure the connect is made to what happens overseas much in the same way as no one bats an eyelid at an Ebola outbreak in Rowanda.
Ah, I see. You were speaking specifically of NZ, not people more generally. I recall a comment when all this happened that the more successful the steps taken, the greater the inclination to say that it was all overblown and unnecessary. That would seem to apply to NZ, but you also benefit from the counter-example of how badly it's been handled in the US, Russia, UK, and Brazil. I still hope that people aren't that collectively prepared to risk their lives for luxury.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 5:00pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 May 2020, 4:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Ah, I see. You were speaking specifically of NZ, not people more generally. I recall a comment when all this happened that the more successful the steps taken, the greater the inclination to say that it was all overblown and unnecessary. That would seem to apply to NZ, but you also benefit from the counter-example of how badly it's been handled in the US, Russia, UK, and Brazil. I still hope that people aren't that collectively prepared to risk their lives for luxury.
From what I see in the news the UK seem over the lockdown (if they were ever compliant) despite death toll.
Seems the US are state by state depending on their own circumstance. Same as NZ people think in their own bubble.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

So Im seriously considering playing softball again this summer. I think being outside, wearing a mask can allow it to be safe. Am I just kidding myself?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 May 2020, 5:51pm
So Im seriously considering playing softball again this summer. I think being outside, wearing a mask can allow it to be safe. Am I just kidding myself?
Maybe. I'd do some research. But between mandatory masks and if your area isn't showing active cases, you'd probably be safe.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 6:06pm
revbob wrote:
Maybe. I'd do some research. But between mandatory masks and if your area isn't showing active cases, you'd probably be safe.
That's my rationale. I'll maybe get some good batting gloves too and bring hand sanitizer.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
It depends on how much people are resistant to taking orders, and also whether they think the threat is either real or warranted ("it's just like the flu"). It's not going to matter at all to a large number of people until somebody they know dies.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 May 2020, 7:19pm
It depends on how much people are resistant to taking orders, and also whether they think the threat is either real or warranted ("it's just like the flu"). It's not going to matter at all to a large number of people until somebody they know dies.
I suppose. Some people are especially local thinkers, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But that kind of behaviour certainly does increase the odds that they'll know someone who died. Again, tho, it's the chickens coming home to roost after decades of attacking the notion of a common civic culture, from both the left and the right. It's only a guess, but I think that's why Canada is handling this better than the US. Our civic culture isn't strong, but it's stronger than in the US, so people are more willing to check their individual wants for the good of the community.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 7:41pm
Kory wrote:
I suppose. Some people are especially local thinkers, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But that kind of behaviour certainly does increase the odds that they'll know someone who died. Again, tho, it's the chickens coming home to roost after decades of attacking the notion of a common civic culture, from both the left and the right. It's only a guess, but I think that's why Canada is handling this better than the US. Our civic culture isn't strong, but it's stronger than in the US, so people are more willing to check their individual wants for the good of the community.
Ive been lied to all these years?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Compared to you guys, it's strong. But we've also embraced degrees of neoliberalism and identity politics, and the expectation of giving a shit about your neighbour isn't what it used to be. I'm not even talking about "the good old days" like the 1940s or whatever. I can compare it to the 1980s and the erosion is noticeable.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:24pm
revbob wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Compared to you guys, it's strong. But we've also embraced degrees of neoliberalism and identity politics, and the expectation of giving a shit about your neighbour isn't what it used to be. I'm not even talking about "the good old days" like the 1940s or whatever. I can compare it to the 1980s and the erosion is noticeable.
But we straight up hate our neighbors.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Hello,

If it's in a league where all players are registered and known, contract tracing can help if someone contracts the virus. These situations are much more
directly addressed than random crowds - bars, concerts, etc.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
27 May 2020, 12:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Hello,

If it's in a league where all players are registered and known, contract tracing can help if someone contracts the virus. These situations are much more
directly addressed than random crowds - bars, concerts, etc.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
26 May 2020, 11:54pm
But we straight up hate our neighbors.
But what about all the yellow ribbon magnets on the cars?