The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Hard to believe but with students back on campus, there’s been a huge uptick in cases (you don’t say!). My dean, because of participation in various welcome back activities with students, got it again and is in rough shape (comparable, seemingly, to Beaneater’s bout). Even tho I don’t mask up on campus, the ones who still do seem like the smart ones to me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 9:49pm
Hard to believe but with students back on campus, there’s been a huge uptick in cases (you don’t say!). My dean, because of participation in various welcome back activities with students, got it again and is in rough shape (comparable, seemingly, to Beaneater’s bout). Even tho I don’t mask up on campus, the ones who still do seem like the smart ones to me.
I took my risks and ultimately my card came up. I've give up on masking unless required. I'm more apt to flee a situation than fish out a mask.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I do not leave the house without an N-95 on my face and a regular paper mask in my pocket just in case. I feel for anyone who gets it, it sure sounds like no fun at all. I'm vaxxed and all but I wear a mask now as the norm and it doesn't bother me a bit. Yes, it sucks, but it sure beats the alternative.

Besides, it helps break up the monotony of my face. :rolleyes:
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 11:11pm
I do not leave the house without an N-95 on my face and a regular paper mask in my pocket just in case. I feel for anyone who gets it, it sure sounds like no fun at all. I'm vaxxed and all but I wear a mask now as the norm and it doesn't bother me a bit. Yes, it sucks, but it sure beats the alternative.

Besides, it helps break up the monotony of my face. :rolleyes:
:lol: What a pithy phrase!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I don't really wear a mask for myself anymore, but usually just to stop myself from spreading to anyone else who's more likely to be heavily affected.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Here's an interesting (to me, anyways) nugget: I've mentioned my public health policy friend a time or two on here (I've found her analysis and recommendations have been about as spot on as anyone's). We were catching up the other day and she relayed that she got covid for the first time herself recently and was asking her colleagues in the CDC about proper quarantine and masking procedures. Anyways, per her CDC contacts the reason the recommendation for the new(er) guidance of 5 days of isolation and then, even if you're testing positive, you can return to the world (masked until symptoms and testing resolve) is because the testing they've done on infected folks shows that by day 5 your airborne viral load is so small the chances of you infecting someone else are negligible.

Now, leaving aside whether that's correct or not (I don't actually think the CDC would just straightforwardly make that up but outputs can only be as good as inputs and so forth), this is literally the first time I've heard that's the reason for the change in public health guidance. And I don't exclusively get my news from twitter where people are inclined to posit that all recommendations outside of total global lockdown are done exclusively to murder us all for capitalism and any evidence to the contrary will be suppressed for maximal engagement, I watch like the regular news and stuff too and get updates from the state public health department as so forth, so I think I'd have heard this reasoning before. It just shows, at a minimum, what a colossal clusterfuck the messaging has been on public health guidance.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 1:12pm
I don't really wear a mask for myself anymore, but usually just to stop myself from spreading to anyone else who's more likely to be heavily affected.
But now they wont catch your infectious smile.

Ill get my coat.

BostonBeaneater

Flex wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 1:56pm
Here's an interesting (to me, anyways) nugget: I've mentioned my public health policy friend a time or two on here (I've found her analysis and recommendations have been about as spot on as anyone's). We were catching up the other day and she relayed that she got covid for the first time herself recently and was asking her colleagues in the CDC about proper quarantine and masking procedures. Anyways, per her CDC contacts the reason the recommendation for the new(er) guidance of 5 days of isolation and then, even if you're testing positive, you can return to the world (masked until symptoms and testing resolve) is because the testing they've done on infected folks shows that by day 5 your airborne viral load is so small the chances of you infecting someone else are negligible.

Now, leaving aside whether that's correct or not (I don't actually think the CDC would just straightforwardly make that up but outputs can only be as good as inputs and so forth), this is literally the first time I've heard that's the reason for the change in public health guidance. And I don't exclusively get my news from twitter where people are inclined to posit that all recommendations outside of total global lockdown are done exclusively to murder us all for capitalism and any evidence to the contrary will be suppressed for maximal engagement, I watch like the regular news and stuff too and get updates from the state public health department as so forth, so I think I'd have heard this reasoning before. It just shows, at a minimum, what a colossal clusterfuck the messaging has been on public health guidance.
The political climate in this country is so fucked up that if the CDC could wave a magic wand that cured covid and put $10k in everyones' bank account there would still be 30% of the populating tossing a hissy fit about it.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Got my booster and flu shot at the same time yesterday. The arm that the flu shot was in is killing me, the covid is fine. And I was just a bit tired last night, but no other symptoms. In case anyone is wavering, it's not a biggie.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 6:49pm
Got my booster and flu shot at the same time yesterday. The arm that the flu shot was in is killing me, the covid is fine. And I was just a bit tired last night, but no other symptoms. In case anyone is wavering, it's not a biggie.
I signed up for flu and shingles today but first appt wasn't until the 8th. I might be wrong but I fear shingles more than covid.

BostonBeaneater

revbob wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 7:15pm
JennyB wrote:
I signed up for flu and shingles today but first appt wasn't until the 8th. I might be wrong but I fear shingles more than covid.
I am getting my flu shot next week as part of my annual physical. I might demand a shingles shot. I asked last year and he said to wait until I'm 50. My buddy, also 47, just got shingles and the reports were not good. Lot's of pain.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 9:58pm
revbob wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I am getting my flu shot next week as part of my annual physical. I might demand a shingles shot. I asked last year and he said to wait until I'm 50. My buddy, also 47, just got shingles and the reports were not good. Lot's of pain.
I got it at just about your age and yeah it was painful. Constantly fighting back tears painful. And mine was just my right side. I didn't get it in my eye or some other sensitive areas.

BostonBeaneater

revbob wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 7:55am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I got it at just about your age and yeah it was painful. Constantly fighting back tears painful. And mine was just my right side. I didn't get it in my eye or some other sensitive areas.
Was it the rash that hurt or was there a deeper inside you pain too?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 9:29am
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
JennyB wrote:
All of us on this forum have deeper inside of us pain.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 9:29am
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
JennyB wrote:
The pain started before the rash appeared and yeah it felt like more than surface pain.