The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Quite accidentally, The Boss and I got our third shot this afternoon, sneaking into the campus clinic without an appointment. I have this strange compulsion to install MS-DOS now …
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss is having a rough go with her booster, made worse by my Aryan DNA leaving me untouched again (slightly sore upper arm, but it didn't stop me from rowing this morning). I told her that as bad as the vaccine has been for her, it's a safe bet that actual covid would have killed her. She was only slightly amused.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 12:43pm
The Boss is having a rough go with her booster, made worse by my Aryan DNA leaving me untouched again (slightly sore upper arm, but it didn't stop me from rowing this morning). I told her that as bad as the vaccine has been for her, it's a safe bet that actual covid would have killed her. She was only slightly amused.
Son and wife got booster today. Waiting to see what mutations form.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 1:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I know that the Boss is just waiting for the next time I get sick so she can snicker at my decrepitude. It might be the only thing that's keeping her going.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 1:40pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I know that the Boss is just waiting for the next time I get sick so she can snicker at my decrepitude. It might be the only thing that's keeping her going.
No doubt she'll be right as rain by tomorrow. Whatever the fuck that means.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 3:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 1:40pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
No doubt she'll be right as rain by tomorrow. Whatever the fuck that means.
She had AZ for her first, which kicked her ass for a good 36 hours. Her second was Moderna, which just made her really sleepy. The booster was Moderna again, but this time she's back to being pummeled. (I had two doses of AZ and got Moderna yesterday; all three times I got a slightly sore arm but that was it.) I expect her to be well by tomorrow, but it might be a rough night.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 5:07pm
Quite accidentally, The Boss and I got our third shot this afternoon, sneaking into the campus clinic without an appointment. I have this strange compulsion to install MS-DOS now …
Glad you were able to get it early. I think unscheduled walk-ins are a good way to go with the booster, as there seems to be a reluctance to turn people away who actually want it.

Same here as far as side effects – just very mild shoulder soreness, like the first couple doses in April, which I again dulled with liberal amounts of wine. I mentioned in the other thread that I got the flu shot at the same time as the booster (on Dec. 1). Booster shoulder was just slightly worse than the flu shot shoulder, though I had to give them each a good poke to even tell. Both were back to normal by the next evening. I was expecting much worse as I hadn’t had a flu shot in a couple decades. I’ll be making a habit of getting a flu shot every year now, and probably earlier in the season.
Shoot straight for once, you Army pukes. - Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner, USAF

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 6:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Glad you were able to get it early. I think unscheduled walk-ins are a good way to go with the booster, as there seems to be a reluctance to turn people away who actually want it.

Same here as far as side effects – just very mild shoulder soreness, like the first couple doses in April, which I again dulled with liberal amounts of wine. I mentioned in the other thread that I got the flu shot at the same time as the booster (on Dec. 1). Booster shoulder was just slightly worse than the flu shot shoulder, though I had to give them each a good poke to even tell. Both were back to normal by the next evening. I was expecting much worse as I hadn’t had a flu shot in a couple decades. I’ll be making a habit of getting a flu shot every year now, and probably earlier in the season.
I've never had a flu shot. Much with everything else when it comes to my health, benign neglect. The Boss was rumbling on about getting a flu shot this year, but I wonder if these reactions will change her view.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 6:43pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've never had a flu shot. Much with everything else when it comes to my health, benign neglect. The Boss was rumbling on about getting a flu shot this year, but I wonder if these reactions will change her view.
Yeah I've always kinda blown it off and been fine. Feels good to have the extra layer of protection though. I figured I was already getting jabbed, might as well make it a double. I last had the flu around 2006-07 after ice-fishing with a friend and sitting together in a small hut for several hours. I think it was some kind of bird flu going around back then. We were both knocked on our asses for about 10 days. When I could finally keep food down again, I remember gobbling down a tv dinner like I was Steve McQueen in Papillon after he got out of 5 years of solitary confinement and low rations. Lying belly-down on the couch and shoveling green beans with cranberries into my mouth, and just feeling the vitamins and life force flow back into me. I blame my friend’s daughter, who was in elementary school at the time.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 6:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah I've always kinda blown it off and been fine. Feels good to have the extra layer of protection though. I figured I was already getting jabbed, might as well make it a double. I last had the flu around 2006-07 after ice-fishing with a friend and sitting together in a small hut for several hours. I think it was some kind of bird flu going around back then. We were both knocked on our asses for about 10 days. When I could finally keep food down again, I remember gobbling down a tv dinner like I was Steve McQueen in Papillon after he got out of 5 years of solitary confinement and low rations. Lying belly-down on the couch and shoveling green beans with cranberries into my mouth, and just feeling the vitamins and life force flow back into me. I blame my friend’s daughter, who was in elementary school at the time.
Ha! I'm usually good for one cold or flu per year. It fucks me up good for 48–72 hours, but then I'm good for the rest of the year. (Search for "Kent McCord" here for one time when I got the flu and had some interesting hallucinations.)

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 7:02pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 6:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Ha! I'm usually good for one cold or flu per year. It fucks me up good for 48–72 hours, but then I'm good for the rest of the year. (Search for "Kent McCord" here for one time when I got the flu and had some interesting hallucinations.)
Got our flu shots back around October, older neighbors of our were just sick for 2 weeks, so much so they got tested for COVID, turns out it's the flu going around.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Ive not had the flu since middle school and never got the vaccine until recently. I wasnt opposed just never got around to it. But I got it last year realizing if I didn't I was no better than these assholes who dont want to get the covid shot. I thought am I not getting the flu because my immune system was so hardy or because I was basically piggy backed off the people who did get a flu shot. So Ive gotten it the past two years. Getting the shingles vax too because that shit is brutal and dont ever want to experience it again.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 7:52pm
Ive not had the flu since middle school and never got the vaccine until recently. I wasnt opposed just never got around to it. But I got it last year realizing if I didn't I was no better than these assholes who dont want to get the covid shot. I thought am I not getting the flu because my immune system was so hardy or because I was basically piggy backed off the people who did get a flu shot. So Ive gotten it the past two years. Getting the shingles vax too because that shit is brutal and dont ever want to experience it again.
Yeah they had the shingles vax at the pharmacy too but I figured 2 shots, and 2 sets of paperwork, were enough for one trip. Never had shingles but I’ve heard it sucks.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 7:47pm
Got our flu shots back around October, older neighbors of our were just sick for 2 weeks, so much so they got tested for COVID, turns out it's the flu going around.
I think part of the Boss' rationale is that covid anxiety really affected her. I'm not exactly nonchalant about it—masks, vaccinations, all that—but it confirmed to me that I don't have a survive-at-all-costs instinct. If it's my time, so be it. (It's going to be a tragedy if I outlive her.) But the Boss does not want this thing, no way no how, and is seriously no bullshit with people that don't get vaccinated. I'm more in the contemptuous vein, if that's a distinction, but she seems more militant than me.
revbob wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 7:52pm
You're right about the social responsibility aspect and something I should do for that reason. Fuck you for having a more attuned conscience than me. :angry:

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 7:02pm
Jeez, that sounds awful. :lol: Just spent the last hour or so doing searches and catching up on IMCT’s flu history. So yeah, I think I’ll get the flu shot every year. You know…to go along with my usual immunity-boosting daily spoonful of dirt.