The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 8:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 7:02pm
Ha! I'm usually good for one cold or flu per year. It fucks me up good for 48–72 hours, but then I'm good for the rest of the year. (Search for "Kent McCord" here for one time when I got the flu and had some interesting hallucinations.)
Jeez, that sounds awful. :lol: Just spent the last hour or so doing searches and catching up on IMCT’s flu history. So yeah, I think I’ll get the flu shot every year. You know…to go along with my usual immunity-boosting daily spoonful of dirt.
Kent McCord be with you, my son. :ugeek:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kimmelweck wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 8:12pm
revbob wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 7:52pm
Ive not had the flu since middle school and never got the vaccine until recently. I wasnt opposed just never got around to it. But I got it last year realizing if I didn't I was no better than these assholes who dont want to get the covid shot. I thought am I not getting the flu because my immune system was so hardy or because I was basically piggy backed off the people who did get a flu shot. So Ive gotten it the past two years. Getting the shingles vax too because that shit is brutal and dont ever want to experience it again.
Yeah they had the shingles vax at the pharmacy too but I figured 2 shots, and 2 sets of paperwork, were enough for one trip. Never had shingles but I’ve heard it sucks.
One of my top 3 miserable medical related experiences. I was in constant pain and asprin/tylnol/advil did fuck all. I was constantly in the verge of tears from the pain. Probably my worst experience now that I think about it as it lasted several days

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 8:30pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:
Ive not had the flu since middle school and never got the vaccine until recently. I wasnt opposed just never got around to it. But I got it last year realizing if I didn't I was no better than these assholes who dont want to get the covid shot. I thought am I not getting the flu because my immune system was so hardy or because I was basically piggy backed off the people who did get a flu shot. So Ive gotten it the past two years. Getting the shingles vax too because that shit is brutal and dont ever want to experience it again.
Yeah they had the shingles vax at the pharmacy too but I figured 2 shots, and 2 sets of paperwork, were enough for one trip. Never had shingles but I’ve heard it sucks.
One of my top 3 miserable medical related experiences. I was in constant pain and asprin/tylnol/advil did fuck all. I was constantly in the verge of tears from the pain. Probably my worst experience now that I think about it as it lasted several days
I recall my grandfather had it as well as a couple of guys I worked with, no thanks! Got our first shot a couple of months ago, actually got a call from the pharmacy today asking if we were ready to come in for the second one, but I told them we're waiting until after the holidays. Had some chills and aches the first night, kind of run down the following morning, but I attribute that to having slept poorly due to the chills.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:
Yikes. Is that an annual/seasonal vaccine or more of a one-time thing?
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kimmelweck wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 9:58pm
revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:
It looks like its good for about 5 years.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 10:04pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:
Ah, cool, thanks. I'll have to put that one on my to do list.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kimmelweck wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 10:11pm
revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

Mine was bad but plenty get it worse. It was my right leg and up my side to my back. Completely missed my dick and balls thankfully. You can get it in your eye too.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 10:37pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:

Mine was bad but plenty get it worse. It was my right leg and up my side to my back. Completely missed my dick and balls thankfully. You can get it in your eye too.
Ouch. Was just looking into it and apparently the vaccine is not recommended until age 50. Not sure how strict that is, but it looks like I still have a few months to go before I can get it.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Not 100% on what shingles is exactly but bout 5 years ago I awoke middle of night with pain down my left side (wouldn't say excruciating but deeply uncomfortable) which I immediately took to be a heart attack oncoming. Anyway, I survived but has no chance of getting back to sleep and only relief I could find was to remain standing and stay still. When I did a google diagnosis, shingles seemed to tick a few boxes though I'd say it was a mild enough dose that dissipated to nothing more than a rash on my chest that was quite irritating but not painful.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kimmelweck wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 11:06pm
revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

Ouch. Was just looking into it and apparently the vaccine is not recommended until age 50. Not sure how strict that is, but it looks like I still have a few months to go before I can get it.
Yeah, that seems to be the magic number for that vax. That said I was like 48 when I got shingles.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 7:11am
Not 100% on what shingles is exactly but bout 5 years ago I awoke middle of night with pain down my left side (wouldn't say excruciating but deeply uncomfortable) which I immediately took to be a heart attack oncoming. Anyway, I survived but has no chance of getting back to sleep and only relief I could find was to remain standing and stay still. When I did a google diagnosis, shingles seemed to tick a few boxes though I'd say it was a mild enough dose that dissipated to nothing more than a rash on my chest that was quite irritating but not painful.
My understanding (from googling it just now) is that shingles is caused by the same virus that causes chicken pox (which I had when I was 10, almost 40 years ago). The virus stays with you but is dormant. With a healthy immune system, it is rarely an issue, but if the virus awakens it can cause a bout of shingles. It doesn’t seem to be especially contagious, but if someone who hasn’t had chicken pox should catch the virus from someone with shingles, they are likely to get chicken pox. Sounds like the shingles vax is a 2-dose thing (2-6 months apart), so I’ll probably shoot for getting the first round sometime next year, when I’m eligible to get it. Not sure if I should get a chicken pox vaccine too, since I already had chicken pox but it was a long time ago. Ugh. Maybe I’ll just try to find a human-sized hamster ball (preferably bullet-proof) and walk around in that.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kimmelweck wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 11:35am
Low Down Low wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 7:11am
My understanding (from googling it just now) is that shingles is caused by the same virus that causes chicken pox (which I had when I was 10, almost 40 years ago). The virus stays with you but is dormant. With a healthy immune system, it is rarely an issue, but if the virus awakens it can cause a bout of shingles. It doesn’t seem to be especially contagious, but if someone who hasn’t had chicken pox should catch the virus from someone with shingles, they are likely to get chicken pox. Sounds like the shingles vax is a 2-dose thing (2-6 months apart), so I’ll probably shoot for getting the first round sometime next year, when I’m eligible to get it. Not sure if I should get a chicken pox vaccine too, since I already had chicken pox but it was a long time ago. Ugh. Maybe I’ll just try to find a human-sized hamster ball (preferably bullet-proof) and walk around in that.
Ah ok, never knew both those things were related. Never had the chickenpox or at least have no recollection of having had anyway.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

This was news to me, but 84.4% of adults in the US have at least one dose of vaccine (72% fully, 30% w/booster). The anti-vax people are so loud and congregated that it's easy to lose track the bulk of the country is doing pretty good.

Source: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... rate-total
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 1:35pm
This was news to me, but 84.4% of adults in the US have at least one dose of vaccine (72% fully, 30% w/booster). The anti-vax people are so loud and congregated that it's easy to lose track the bulk of the country is doing pretty good.

Source: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... rate-total
That's pretty good, for quite a while it's been stuck in the mid to upper 60% range. I know we're not likely to ever see 100%, but I'd be thrilled if we could hit 85% - 90%.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 8:55am
Kimmelweck wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 11:06pm
revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:

Yeah, that seems to be the magic number for that vax. That said I was like 48 when I got shingles.
My grandpa had it, I'm going to have to look up and see if its probability is genetic at all.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc