Furloughed...

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Furloughed...

Post by JoseUnidos »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 9:07pm
JoseUnidos wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 8:58pm
Today's a good news/bad news kind of day. Good news - my furlough is over. Bad news - my position's been eliminated and I'm out of a job.
Shit, man, so sorry to hear that. Are there alternate job possibilities immediately apparent?
Not right now, which is fine. Kym wants me to hold off looking until the world goes back to normal a bit, and I agree. So maybe next summer? Maybe longer. We're fine until then at least. Thing is I'm 5 to 8 years away from retirement so I'm not looking to reinvent myself or pursue a new career. I'll take something that's stress-free, pays the bills & allows me time to make stuff. Anyway, that's what I'm thinking right now. I'm still trying to wrap around this. I told Kym today that I'm probably going to be a little weird for a while. On the plus side I've started a series of paintings that I'm pretty jazzed about. They're based on collages of old Archie comic book pages:
8BF17F6F-DCF0-4EB2-8E0C-6EA40869A9FB.jpeg
The Siren. 2020.
acrylic on canvas.
10 x 10"
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

JoseUnidos wrote:
Today's a good news/bad news kind of day. Good news - my furlough is over. Bad news - my position's been eliminated and I'm out of a job.
Fuck, sorry to hear this. But glad you seem to have a sensible plan to move forward.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JoseUnidos wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 9:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:
Shit, man, so sorry to hear that. Are there alternate job possibilities immediately apparent?
Not right now, which is fine. Kym wants me to hold off looking until the world goes back to normal a bit, and I agree. So maybe next summer? Maybe longer. We're fine until then at least. Thing is I'm 5 to 8 years away from retirement so I'm not looking to reinvent myself or pursue a new career. I'll take something that's stress-free, pays the bills & allows me time to make stuff. Anyway, that's what I'm thinking right now. I'm still trying to wrap around this. I told Kym today that I'm probably going to be a little weird for a while. On the plus side I've started a series of paintings that I'm pretty jazzed about. They're based on collages of old Archie comic book pages:

The Siren. 2020.
acrylic on canvas.
10 x 10"
I'm glad that you're treating all this with some enthusiasm about what else you can do that satisfies. Crisitunity, you know?

Are you still Etsying your stuff? Depending on cost and all that, I could be enticed again with these Archie-inspired pieces.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 10:04pm
JoseUnidos wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:

The Siren. 2020.
acrylic on canvas.
10 x 10"
I'm glad that you're treating all this with some enthusiasm about what else you can do that satisfies. Crisitunity, you know?

Are you still Etsying your stuff? Depending on cost and all that, I could be enticed again with these Archie-inspired pieces.
Thanks Doc, it's early days & a lot to process. I think being furloughed for so long will be a soft landing for this. I've gotten used to being home and found a routine that suits us. Honestly, I think it would've been a bigger adjustment if they'd called me back to work.

The Etsy thing has been on hiatus since covid but I'll likely revive it soon, maybe with the Archie stuff. I'll keep ya posted.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

JoseUnidos wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 10:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:

The Siren. 2020.
acrylic on canvas.
10 x 10"

Thanks Doc, it's early days & a lot to process. I think being furloughed for so long will be a soft landing for this. I've gotten used to being home and found a routine that suits us. Honestly, I think it would've been a bigger adjustment if they'd called me back to work.

The Etsy thing has been on hiatus since covid but I'll likely revive it soon, maybe with the Archie stuff. I'll keep ya posted.
Work is pretty overrated anyway.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JoseUnidos wrote:
Yeah, I understand that. Given my insular nature, there's a part of me that wouldn't mind teaching from home the rest of the way. Not a major part, but there is a part there.
Cool. :cool:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JoseUnidos wrote:
No!! That's awful.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I'm so sorry to hear this, but as someone who has one of your paintings, I can attest that they are rad. I love the new series.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Nov 2020, 1:33am
JoseUnidos wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The Siren. 2020.
acrylic on canvas.
10 x 10"

Work is pretty overrated anyway.
Agreed!

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

JennyB wrote:
20 Nov 2020, 2:48pm
I'm so sorry to hear this, but as someone who has one of your paintings, I can attest that they are rad. I love the new series.
Thanks! I feel like I have some momentum going with these so I'm thrilled to have the extended time to work on them. Each one takes about 4 days to do and I have ideas for about a hundred of them, so go go go!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Sorry to hear that, I hope it works out for the best.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak