Furloughed...

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Furloughed...

Post by WestwayKid »

Well, I got the call yesterday. I am furloughed 4-10 through 6-10. A nice unpaid leave of absence. I honestly didn't see it coming. I figured marketing was a critical component right now, but the closure of area restaurants has hit my company pretty hard.

If things turn around, I could get called back sooner. I'm obviously hoping for that. It's been interesting to go through the process. I'm not allowed to do any type of work for the company. They've locked me out of the network. I'm not allowed to seek outside employment. I get to keep my health benefits.

I am allowed to file for temporary unemployment, which I've done. Knock on wood, but financially I should be okay to weather this. A few things need to fall into place, but I'm hoping to avoid any roadblocks.

The biggest thing is just the mental and emotional gut punch. It's been hard going from what felt like a key cog in the machine to being on the bench. All of the projects I was involved in are now just set aside. I feel awkward because I'm suddenly just off the radar (though I assume people know where I've gone). I also feel a little embarrassed that I wasn't deemed essential enough to avoid being furloughed.

I'm hanging in there. I'll be okay. It will take a day or two to process, but I'm aware of my blessings and I know sooner or later (sooner, I hope) things will get back to normal.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Furloughed...

Post by Heston »

I'm working 17.5 hours a week instead of my usual 37 for full pay, so I can't really complain. To be honest I would rather be safe in the house but I'm looked upon as a key worker so I suppose I have to do my bit.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Hoping the best for you, of course, and that you can make the best of all this.
WestwayKid wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 3:57pm
Well, I got the call yesterday. I am furloughed 4-10 through 6-10.
What do those numbers mean?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

WestwayKid wrote:
Well, I got the call yesterday. I am furloughed 4-10 through 6-10. A nice unpaid leave of absence. I honestly didn't see it coming. I figured marketing was a critical component right now, but the closure of area restaurants has hit my company pretty hard.

If things turn around, I could get called back sooner. I'm obviously hoping for that. It's been interesting to go through the process. I'm not allowed to do any type of work for the company. They've locked me out of the network. I'm not allowed to seek outside employment. I get to keep my health benefits.

I am allowed to file for temporary unemployment, which I've done. Knock on wood, but financially I should be okay to weather this. A few things need to fall into place, but I'm hoping to avoid any roadblocks.

The biggest thing is just the mental and emotional gut punch. It's been hard going from what felt like a key cog in the machine to being on the bench. All of the projects I was involved in are now just set aside. I feel awkward because I'm suddenly just off the radar (though I assume people know where I've gone). I also feel a little embarrassed that I wasn't deemed essential enough to avoid being furloughed.

I'm hanging in there. I'll be okay. It will take a day or two to process, but I'm aware of my blessings and I know sooner or later (sooner, I hope) things will get back to normal.
Just don't take it personally and try and use the two months positively. Maybe it creates an opportunity to do or learn something.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 4:25pm
WestwayKid wrote:
April 10 through June 10, though they could call me back sooner.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

laxman wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 4:31pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Just don't take it personally and try and use the two months positively. Maybe it creates an opportunity to do or learn something.
Great point. I’ll definitely be using my time constructively. I’m going to paint and probably take some online graphic design courses to improve my skill set. Also looking at social media courses.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 4:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Oh, duh.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 4:38pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Oh, duh.
They sent me a certified letter this morning with all the details. I have 24 hours to respond once they call me back or else they consider I have vacated my position.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 4:36pm
laxman wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 4:31pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Great point. I’ll definitely be using my time constructively. I’m going to paint and probably take some online graphic design courses to improve my skill set. Also looking at social media courses.
That sounds good to me, best of luck.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 4:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Oh, duh.
They sent me a certified letter this morning with all the details. I have 24 hours to respond once they call me back or else they consider I have vacated my position.
Jees not long, imagine if you were in bed with some kind of virus??

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

With Furlough how much of your usually salary do you get?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 4:52pm
WestwayKid wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 4:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Oh, duh.
Jees not long, imagine if you were in bed with some kind of virus??
Dammit, you beat me to my response!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 4:53pm
None of it.

They told me to file for temporary unemployment.

God bless America.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 5:02pm
101Walterton wrote:
None of it.

God bless America.
So basically they just hold your job open (if there is one to go back to) and you are eligible for the dole?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 5:02pm
101Walterton wrote:
None of it.

God bless America.
Oh, I thought you got 80% of your wage. That's sad to hear mate, hope you get sorted.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board