Furloughed...

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Furloughed...

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2020, 6:48am
101Walterton wrote:
21 May 2020, 6:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2020, 6:23am
101Walterton wrote:
20 May 2020, 9:28pm
After the Christchurch earthquake the CBD was completely flattened and all business obviously had to relocate to suburbs/ home etc..
10 years on and they can’t finance / re build the CBD as companies realise there are better ways to work.
I suspect the same will happen with work from home.
Why pay expensive rent when there are better / cheaper ways to work with more productivity time and less staff absenteeism ( proven stat).
My nephew has a small high tech design company and he's found that all of his employees have been quite happy working from home, so he and his partner are seriously questioning renewing the lease on their fairly expensive workplace when it comes up. They could take some of the savings and apply it to salaries.
The only downside I can see is what happens when you have new staff?
First guess is mentoring at certain people's homes for a couple weeks before they graduate to working at their own home. But, yeah, that would be a challenge.

Meanwhile, speaking of NZ and longer-term effects on labour: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... es-popular
Strangely that hasn’t made much news here?? Due to geography a lot of NZ commerce is Internationally linked so can’t work off a 4 day week anyway.

Most of the talk is about introducing 1 long weekend to promote and kick start domestic tourism (economy) but business has already said they aren’t paying after the Covid losses so unless government pay??

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I've only got a fucking job interview on Tuesday and have to do it on Zoom. I don't even like talking to telephone answering machines. I'm gonna fuck this up!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
21 May 2020, 6:53pm
I've only got a fucking job interview on Tuesday and have to do it on Zoom. I don't even like talking to telephone answering machines. I'm gonna fuck this up!
You'll be fine. It's just like talking to someone a few feet away. Put yourself in that mindset and it becomes more easily conversational. If you can get up on a stage in front of several hundred people, you can have a conversation in front of a webcam.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2020, 6:56pm
Heston wrote:
You'll be fine. It's just like talking to someone a few feet away. Put yourself in that mindset and it becomes more easily conversational. If you can get up on a stage in front of several hundred people, you can have a conversation in front of a webcam.
I never thought of it that way but I'm more nervous for this than any gig. Just the whole stress of setting it up and being in an alien environment.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
21 May 2020, 7:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
I never thought of it that way but I'm more nervous for this than any gig. Just the whole stress of setting it up and being in an alien environment.
My suggestion would be to do a few zoom calls with people you know before then so you can be familiar with it (not that its hard).

You were born to sell pens so don't worry about it. :shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 May 2020, 7:21pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
My suggestion would be to do a few zoom calls with people you know before then so you can be familiar with it (not that its hard).

That's an excellent idea. I've got a buddy who's going to be distance teaching this summer and he's a serious technophobe. I suggested we test out Zoom for funzies, playing around with features, and he had to admit that it was pretty comfortable. I won't say he's looking forward to lecturing that way, but he's not dreading it now.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Good tip from Revbob, it is easy once done.
Get your preferred camera position sorted beforehand so you are comfortable with it and not worried about it. Suggest not too close give yourself some space.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
21 May 2020, 7:37pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Get your preferred camera position sorted beforehand so you are comfortable with it and not worried about it. Suggest not too close give yourself some space.
Its all part of prepping for the interview and you dont want to get hung up on the tech. You want to be focused on the interview itself.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
21 May 2020, 7:37pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Lighting is underappreciated. Less of a problem with Heston, having a proper head of hair, but those of us with more scalp can throw off a blinding glare if the lighting isn't right.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

It's getting towards the end of my furlough period (ends 2-weeks from today) and I'm not sure what to expect. Restaurants are opening back up which means business should be starting to pick back up for my company. I've heard nothing, however. No contact since early April (which I think is by design - they can't contact me unless they have info regarding my job).

I'm obviously hoping to get called back. The health insurance alone is so important (especially with 2 little ones). Anyway, I'm trying to not think about it too much. I know there are many out there worse off than me and I'm always trying to stay aware of my blessings.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 May 2020, 8:05pm
It's getting towards the end of my furlough period (ends 2-weeks from today) and I'm not sure what to expect. Restaurants are opening back up which means business should be starting to pick back up for my company. I've heard nothing, however. No contact since early April (which I think is by design - they can't contact me unless they have info regarding my job).

I'm obviously hoping to get called back. The health insurance alone is so important (especially with 2 little ones). Anyway, I'm trying to not think about it too much. I know there are many out there worse off than me and I'm always trying to stay aware of my blessings.
Hang in there man. It sounds like you were a valued employee.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
How'd it go brother?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
27 May 2020, 8:07pm
WestwayKid wrote:
27 May 2020, 8:05pm

Hang in there man. It sounds like you were a valued employee.
I'm trying. I keep reminding myself that I am a valued employee (at least I think I am/was). I'm the only person at my division who does what I do and I feel like I have a real grasp on the industry I work in. I've been there 14 years this July and when I got the "you're going on furlough" call both my boss and his boss really praised my skill set.

I deal with uncertainty, however, by filling in the empty space with assumptions. My assumptions typically veer down the worst case scenario path. I assume because I have not been called back, yet, that it means they're just waiting for the furlough to run out and then they'll clip me. Stuff like that. I recognize it's a pointless exercise on my part because I don't know what's happening.

I'm just staying busy and doing a little planning on the side: sharpening up certain skills, dusting off the resume. I'm taking the kids in for eye exams tomorrow just in case insurance becomes an issue.

Again, I recognize many people are far worse off than me and that I have a good chance of being called back...but I also know I'm going to feel unsettled until something happens.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
How'd it go brother?
I thought the interview went well but I never got the job.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
28 May 2020, 12:39am
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
How'd it go brother?
I thought the interview went well but I never got the job.
Shit sorry to hear that mate.