Furloughed...

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Furloughed...

Post by Kory »

Good luck Flexer, keep us updated.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Thanks all. I haven't really been able to figure out what, if anything, I'm eligible for. Since I was laid off from "regular" employment about a year ago, the system doesn't seem to consider me a contract worker so the system seems to think if ineligible for some recently instituted contract worker benefits (including a job being eliminated before it's started) but when I try to apply through regular unemployment it doesn't seem to accept my change in status from full-time worker to freelance contractor, either. Unemployment phone lines are also, unsurprisingly, constantly jammed so I'm not entirely sure what to do (if anything! I mean, I'm still doing some work so I'm not sure if I'd get anything even if I can figure all this out).

Anyways, the means-tested government apparatus works great.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 3:39pm
Well, my job that I was supposed to start in March has finally been eliminated (or near eliminated) as the funders of the organization wanted a major restructuring of their financial commitments given the collapse of society. There might be a small contract still available for me when all said and done (and I have a bit of other work now), but not holding my breath.

Since the job never actually started, I don't seem to be eligible for any kind of unemployment benefit, rather unfortunately. Too bad since when I took that job I passed up some other contract work I could be doing now.
Really sorry to hear this. It's a strange world we find ourselves in. It's really lousy that anyone would not be eligible for unemployment right now. My sister (who is a self-employed hair stylist) only become eligible this week. She hasn't worked in a month since they shut all of the salons down. It blew my mind that I could file, but she could not simply because she works for herself. The state finally passed legislation to rectify this.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Well, I've been furloughed, too.

Since mid-March, actually.

Thank Og I've got a sugar momma.

The day drinking has been kinda nice, though. :scared:

Maybe I'll stumble over to the Shamerd my assgerfed thread now ...
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

It's been 2 weeks since I was placed on furlough. 6 weeks to go (I hope). It's been hard to feel like myself since I stopped working. I struggle with the uncertainty of the future: will my job bring me back? I've been thinking about this a lot and I think this is a real struggle for many white Americans. We do not know how to deal with uncertainty. It really throws us off of our game because we're used to feeling certain about things. This is a reality that people of color face every day in this country. The truly marginalized exist in a world of uncertainty. This has definitely been an interesting lesson for me.

I'm filling up my days the best I can. The weather in Wisconsin has been lousy. We've had a handful of decent days, but most have been cold and damp (like today). I've been putting in 4-5 hours every day learning HTML and CSS. I'm making some decent progress and really enjoying it. I didn't think I had the mind for any type of coding, but this has really clicked and combined with my graphic design skill set I'm hoping I can do something with all of this once the world gets back to normal. It helps with the uncertainty because I feel like I'm doing something to help steer my career destiny.

Other than that, it's nice getting extra time with the kids and my partner. I miss being able to go out. I'm very much a people person, but I'm doing my part to flatten the curve. The governor says we can start opening up once the numbers start trending down and restaurants are in the first phase. This would be good for me as my job is directly connected to that segment. I have not gotten any unemployment, yet. I'm all signed up and was able to claim last week, but the rule had always been that you had to wait a week before you could get any cash. This was just changed, so I will get it all retroactively, but for now nothing.

I really hope to get back to normal. There has been good and bad parts of this experience. I like getting to sleep in every morning. I like having time for learning and hobbies and projects. I like the extra time with loved ones.

Anyway, hope you are all doing as well as can be.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Spiff wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 11:44am
Well, I've been furloughed, too.

Since mid-March, actually.

Thank Og I've got a sugar momma.

The day drinking has been kinda nice, though. :scared:

Maybe I'll stumble over to the Shamerd my assgerfed thread now ...
Yeah, that helps... ;)

The day drinking has been nice. I spent Tuesday afternoon outside and put away a 6-pack of Lakefront Double IPA while I worked. I was definitely in a great mood when I came back in.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

5 weeks in, about 3 to go. I really do miss working. Still no idea how this will play out. We're slowly opening restaurants back up. Most of the state can open right now (with guidelines). Milwaukee County (biggest in the state) has restrictions in place through 11:59 PM on Thursday and then they can open restaurants.

I'm really struggling with my feelings at the moment. I'm torn between wanting things to open back up so that I can go back to work and wanting to keep flattening the curve. I'd like to keep my health insurance (I'm also responsible for 2 young ones) and not deplete my savings and my retirement and pay my mortgage, but I also understand the risk of opening up too quickly.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Getting gently laid off. As soon as the company have to start paying me, I'm out of work. Hopefully furlough scheme will go on til I qualify for a state pension.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 May 2020, 10:59am
Getting gently laid off. As soon as the company have to start paying me, I'm out of work. Hopefully furlough scheme will go on til I qualify for a state pension.
Shit—I'm so sorry to hear this. Is this COVID related? I know you thought you were getting the ax before and that turned into a promotion, so was that assumption still correct (indirectly) or have present events altered things again?
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2020, 11:10am
Silent Majority wrote:
Shit—I'm so sorry to hear this. Is this COVID related? I know you thought you were getting the ax before and that turned into a promotion, so was that assumption still correct (indirectly) or have present events altered things again?
Yup, it's the rona. The hotel chain I worked for is projecting a 15% occupancy rate going forward and they gotta cut heads.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
Fuck, so sorry brother. This shit blows.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Flex wrote:
20 May 2020, 11:18am
Silent Majority wrote:
Fuck, so sorry brother. This shit blows.
Thank you, I appreciate that. I'm in a much luckier position than some. Ni and I will be alright. I'm going to continue to enjoy my life of leisure for now, running, working on my allotment and writing, just with an hour set aside every day to hunt for jobs. Looks like the state will keep paying me at 80% til July. Got the luxury of a few months breathing space.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

That sucks, James.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
I first read this as prison.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Silent Majority wrote:
This is really crummy news. Sorry to hear you've got to deal with this.