Furloughed...

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Furloughed...

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
28 May 2020, 2:17am
Heston wrote:
28 May 2020, 12:39am
revbob wrote:
27 May 2020, 8:07pm
Heston wrote:
21 May 2020, 7:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2020, 6:56pm

You'll be fine. It's just like talking to someone a few feet away. Put yourself in that mindset and it becomes more easily conversational. If you can get up on a stage in front of several hundred people, you can have a conversation in front of a webcam.
I never thought of it that way but I'm more nervous for this than any gig. Just the whole stress of setting it up and being in an alien environment.
How'd it go brother?
I thought the interview went well but I never got the job.
Shit sorry to hear that mate.
Well nothing ventured, nothing gained. Cheers mate.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
21 May 2020, 6:53pm
I've only got a fucking job interview on Tuesday and have to do it on Zoom. I don't even like talking to telephone answering machines. I'm gonna fuck this up!
You'll be fine. It's just like talking to someone a few feet away. Put yourself in that mindset and it becomes more easily conversational. If you can get up on a stage in front of several hundred people, you can have a conversation in front of a webcam.
I never thought of it that way but I'm more nervous for this than any gig. Just the whole stress of setting it up and being in an alien environment.
How'd it go brother?
That sucks, sorry to hear that

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
28 May 2020, 6:19am
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

How'd it go brother?
That sucks, sorry to hear that
Cheers Rev. I've still got a job so a lot of people are in a worse position than me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
21 May 2020, 6:53pm
I've only got a fucking job interview on Tuesday and have to do it on Zoom. I don't even like talking to telephone answering machines. I'm gonna fuck this up!
How'd it go brother?
Sorry that the result wasn't positive, but if you thought the experience went well, that's a good takeaway. Sometimes the other candidate is who they had in mind all along. :meh:
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2020, 7:22am
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

How'd it go brother?
Sorry that the result wasn't positive, but if you thought the experience went well, that's a good takeaway. Sometimes the other candidate is who they had in mind all along. :meh:
Indeed!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
28 May 2020, 9:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2020, 7:22am
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:

How'd it go brother?
Indeed!
I see interviewing as a skill. Its good to stay in practice.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 May 2020, 9:54am
I see interviewing as a skill. Its good to stay in practice.
Completely true, and I say this as someone not especially skilled in that area. However, as a comparable, in academia, being able to write grant proposal and (as a student) candidate's statements and thesis proposals is underappreciated. So many students applying to grad school figure their transcript is the alpha and omega of their application, but that candidate statement is the real meat. Can this person communicate? Do they have a clue what they want to do? Is this someone who would need a lot of hand holding? Likewise, I was amazed at how poorly my classmates' diss proposals were. Instead of thinking about persuading an imaginary skeptical but fair-minded judge, they just half-assed what they were going to do. It's a skill but too few realize they need to treat it that way.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Trying to patiently wait out these last few days. No word on my fate (initial furlough period ends on June 10).

Corporate marketing staff got info earlier this week: some had furlough extended, some being called back.

Since I work for one of our divisions, my fate is separate from the corporate team.

I’ve heard a few positive things. Business is apparently picking up. The division presidents are expressing optimism.

I have no clue how it will play out, however. I hope to get called back, but I’ll take an extension to my furlough.

It’s scary. As a single dad with 2 young kids the loss of health insurance really freaks me out. I’m rushing in all of their annual appointments (eye, dentist, etc) as fast as I can just in case.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 12:42pm
Trying to patiently wait out these last few days. No word on my fate (initial furlough period ends on June 10).

Corporate marketing staff got info earlier this week: some had furlough extended, some being called back.

Since I work for one of our divisions, my fate is separate from the corporate team.

I’ve heard a few positive things. Business is apparently picking up. The division presidents are expressing optimism.

I have no clue how it will play out, however. I hope to get called back, but I’ll take an extension to my furlough.

It’s scary. As a single dad with 2 young kids the loss of health insurance really freaks me out. I’m rushing in all of their annual appointments (eye, dentist, etc) as fast as I can just in case.
Fingers crossed for you mate snd good work on the medical appointments fill your boots.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 4:29pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Fingers crossed for you mate snd good work on the medical appointments fill your boots.
They gave me 30 more days (until July 10). I’m hoping business starts picking up.

I get to keep my health insurance (whew) and the combo of state unemployment and extra pandemic relief from the Feds I’m doing okay payroll wise.

30 extra days in the middle of summer is not a bad thing.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 5:16pm
101Walterton wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

They gave me 30 more days (until July 10). I’m hoping business starts picking up.

I get to keep my health insurance (whew) and the combo of state unemployment and extra pandemic relief from the Feds I’m doing okay payroll wise.

Great news 👍

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:

Thank goodness. The missus is on furlough currently and looking at it similarly - with the extra pandemic relief the pay isn't where it was but the decrease wasn't drastic and we still get health insurance - spending some prime summer time without having to be in an office or chained to a desk all day ain't bad. If the situation continues past the expiration of the pandemic relief, tho, it'll get dicey.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Good news

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 6:58pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Thank goodness. The missus is on furlough currently and looking at it similarly - with the extra pandemic relief the pay isn't where it was but the decrease wasn't drastic and we still get health insurance - spending some prime summer time without having to be in an office or chained to a desk all day ain't bad. If the situation continues past the expiration of the pandemic relief, tho, it'll get dicey.
Yup. As long as the extra Fed money is there I’m good. The extra time with my kids has been priceless. They’re 8 & 10 and the years where they actually want to spend time with me won’t be around forever.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 8:56pm
Flex wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 6:58pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Yup. As long as the extra Fed money is there I’m good. The extra time with my kids has been priceless. They’re 8 & 10 and the years where they actually want to spend time with me won’t be around forever.
Exactly. I loved having my 19 and 17 year old at home and I think they enjoyed it too. Wouldn’t have seen them otherwise.
Plus during Level 4 daughter asked me to go to her training with her for company which was real special.