Furloughed...

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Furloughed...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 May 2020, 6:43pm
Agreed. I read this article: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/an ... r-spending and it touches on how we got to where we're at. There is one quote that sums me up very well right now:

“I want just enough of an income and just enough health insurance that I don’t have to check my bank account on a daily basis. I just want to be comfortable and content.”

I know there are many, many people who have less and just want enough clean water, freedom, and so on...but it's still crazy that in the United States this statement can be made by so many and feel so far off.
The historian who inspired me to treat history critically used to say "Roast beef or revolution." As long as people can be persuaded to think they have enough to get by, the impulse to change is hard to implant. It's a bizarre situation where people are taught to think they can have more and more, yet it's never delivered upon and they nevertheless lower expectations.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2020, 6:35pm
revbob wrote:
20 May 2020, 6:01pm
I refuse to use the camera on my work computer. I say its broken. And definitely tune out a lot of meetings but sooner or later I hear my name mentioned and I have to make up an excuse for someone to repeat the question. The problem is during each meeting Im getting calls, texts emails etc the whole damn time. And then there's IMCT... :shifty:
I assume we're properly prioritized. Sorry that your problem is burning down the company, but Wally is cheating to keep Sabbath off our hypothetical album!
I dont quite vocalize it that way.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 May 2020, 7:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I refuse to use the camera on my work computer. I say its broken. And definitely tune out a lot of meetings but sooner or later I hear my name mentioned and I have to make up an excuse for someone to repeat the question. The problem is during each meeting Im getting calls, texts emails etc the whole damn time. And then there's IMCT... :shifty:
I assume we're properly prioritized. Sorry that your problem is burning down the company, but Wally is cheating to keep Sabbath off our hypothetical album!
"I'll look into it and get back to you."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2020, 7:19pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Thats the perfect answer. "I dont know but I'll find out" has gotten me out of many potential jams.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 May 2020, 7:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2020, 7:19pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Thats the perfect answer. "I dont know but I'll find out" has gotten me out of many potential jams.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
20 May 2020, 5:29pm
101Walterton wrote:
20 May 2020, 4:29pm
That’s shit but good as well that you can keep an income until July at least.
Obviously no one knows when this vaccine will be confirmed / available etc.. but surely as soon as it is a lot of industries will very quickly need to get back up to speed to be able to operate and will have to recruit all these jobs again.
What will be interesting is how companies rethink the office thing. My job went from people having their own cubes about 5 feet or so high to the open office format. Open office config is a mess with constant distractions and also better for spreading germs.
After the Christchurch earthquake the CBD was completely flattened and all business obviously had to relocate to suburbs/ home etc..
10 years on and they can’t finance / re build the CBD as companies realise there are better ways to work.
I suspect the same will happen with work from home.
Why pay expensive rent when there are better / cheaper ways to work with more productivity time and less staff absenteeism ( proven stat).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
20 May 2020, 9:28pm
After the Christchurch earthquake the CBD was completely flattened and all business obviously had to relocate to suburbs/ home etc..
10 years on and they can’t finance / re build the CBD as companies realise there are better ways to work.
Why pay expensive rent when there are better / cheaper ways to work with more productivity time and less staff absenteeism ( proven stat).
My nephew has a small high tech design company and he's found that all of his employees have been quite happy working from home, so he and his partner are seriously questioning renewing the lease on their fairly expensive workplace when it comes up. They could take some of the savings and apply it to salaries.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2020, 6:23am
101Walterton wrote:
My nephew has a small high tech design company and he's found that all of his employees have been quite happy working from home, so he and his partner are seriously questioning renewing the lease on their fairly expensive workplace when it comes up. They could take some of the savings and apply it to salaries.
The only downside I can see is what happens when you have new staff?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
21 May 2020, 6:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2020, 6:23am
101Walterton wrote:
The only downside I can see is what happens when you have new staff?
First guess is mentoring at certain people's homes for a couple weeks before they graduate to working at their own home. But, yeah, that would be a challenge.

Meanwhile, speaking of NZ and longer-term effects on labour: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... es-popular

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I don't really like working from home all the time. It sounded better in theory than in practice for me. Home feels less like home.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 May 2020, 7:29am
I don't really like working from home all the time. It sounded better in theory than in practice for me. Home feels less like home.
I can see that, if you have a strong sense of separate spheres. Are you someone who has to dress in office clothes to get in the right work mindset?

(Tangential: I must say that I'm amazed by how many people seemingly stay in their pajamas all day to work. They might have on a pressed shirt for their video meetings, but pajamas below. I had no idea people loathed pants so much.)

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

revbob wrote:
Same here. I'm kinda glad regular lessons have started again, in spite of all the restrictions. In fact, those smaller groups are a real treat.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2020, 7:57am
revbob wrote:
I can see that, if you have a strong sense of separate spheres. Are you someone who has to dress in office clothes to get in the right work mindset?

(Tangential: I must say that I'm amazed by how many people seemingly stay in their pajamas all day to work. They might have on a pressed shirt for their video meetings, but pajamas below. I had no idea people loathed pants so much.)
No I can wear anything. But the physical separation is important. When I am at the office I have to leave at some point and go home. There's a hard stop. That no longer exists. The morning and evening commute serves as a reset too. I do a morning commute most days still.

Im not the type to sit around in my sleeping clothes either and dont participate in the video portion of video calls. We've suspended video for now too because it uses too much VPN bandwidth.

Working from home when I need to is a good thing but Im still adjusting to all the fucking time. Word is some will be called back in the office by early June.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 May 2020, 8:06am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

No I can wear anything. But the physical separation is important. When I am at the office I have to leave at some point and go home. There's a hard stop. That no longer exists. The morning and evening commute serves as a reset too. I do a morning commute most days still.
The Boss leans in your direction. She prefers to work in her office on campus and when she's at home she rarely deals with work stuff (maybe a few emails). She wants that distinction between work life and home life. I prefer working at home because of the privacy and comfort level—this is my space and can act however I want.
Im not the type to sit around in my sleeping clothes either and dont participate in the video portion of video calls. We've suspended video for now too because it uses too much VPN bandwidth.

Working from home when I need to is a good thing but Im still adjusting to all the fucking time. Word is some will be called back in the office by early June.
Campus is still off-limits—you have to get special temporary passes to be there—and nobody knows when that'll be lifted. As soon as possible, I know she'll be there. I think she also misses the daily walk.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2020, 8:13am
revbob wrote:
21 May 2020, 8:06am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

The Boss leans in your direction. She prefers to work in her office on campus and when she's at home she rarely deals with work stuff (maybe a few emails). She wants that distinction between work life and home life. I prefer working at home because of the privacy and comfort level—this is my space and can act however I want.

Campus is still off-limits—you have to get special temporary passes to be there—and nobody knows when that'll be lifted. As soon as possible, I know she'll be there. I think she also misses the daily walk.
I guess it also depends on how much your job is hours dictated I.e. strictly 8-4 / 9-5 etc.. or more fluid to communicate with others outside traditional hours.