What's the first thing...?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: What's the first thing...?

Post by Mimi »

Wolter wrote:
14 May 2020, 12:23pm
My honest answer is going to sound so mundane, but once I feel safe enough, it will be great to take my older son somewhere for lunch and to play in public while my younger one naps.
No, going to the bookstore is mundane. This is life. And it's sweet.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 May 2020, 1:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2020, 1:22pm
On the other side of things, I'm gonna miss not having to come up with excuses not to go out. :meh:
Indeed, I'm a little anxious about me still being tentative and friends putting on the peer pressure. I'm not convinced that once things are a bit more normal, people aren't going to just slide back into their usual patterns and let this whole thing fade from memory. Masks are going to be important in the future for mitigating future issues, but I'm concerned that this time isn't really going to drive that home to a lot of people.
I've mentioned this before, but taking history as a guide of sorts, society's don't leave crises and return to things the way they were before the crisis. Not everything changes, of course, but not all old behaviours, attitudes, values, and senses of possibility are restored. It just doesn't happen. Human beings are adapters. We can't know with any certainty what those changes will be, but it seems likely that it will revolve around social interaction and work life. The new normal of our quarantined lives will spill over.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2020, 1:49pm
Kory wrote:
14 May 2020, 1:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
On the other side of things, I'm gonna miss not having to come up with excuses not to go out. :meh:
Indeed, I'm a little anxious about me still being tentative and friends putting on the peer pressure. I'm not convinced that once things are a bit more normal, people aren't going to just slide back into their usual patterns and let this whole thing fade from memory. Masks are going to be important in the future for mitigating future issues, but I'm concerned that this time isn't really going to drive that home to a lot of people.
I've mentioned this before, but taking history as a guide of sorts, society's don't leave crises and return to things the way they were before the crisis. Not everything changes, of course, but not all old behaviours, attitudes, values, and senses of possibility are restored. It just doesn't happen. Human beings are adapters. We can't know with any certainty what those changes will be, but it seems likely that it will revolve around social interaction and work life. The new normal of our quarantined lives will spill over.
I guess I'm biased because only about 1/10 people here wear masks even now.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
14 May 2020, 2:33pm
Our county finally made it mandatory in public indoor spaces and I'd say adoption is now somewhere up to like 85%-90%. Good to see people locally getting with the program, although the implication people aren't doing this shit without a central authority telling them they have to is itching at the back of my brain to suss out over time.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm (hopefully) going to be milking this for years to get out of work functions.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Beer garden.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
14 May 2020, 2:40pm
Kory wrote:
14 May 2020, 2:33pm
Our county finally made it mandatory in public indoor spaces and I'd say adoption is now somewhere up to like 85%-90%. Good to see people locally getting with the program, although the implication people aren't doing this shit without a central authority telling them they have to is itching at the back of my brain to suss out over time.
There seems to be a lot of deterrents, either in the sense of the public embarrassment of wearing something unconventional, or the implication that the people wearing masks definitely ARE sick. We need to reduce the stigma before people will volunteer in higher numbers. Of course there's also that group that think even the suggestion of a mask even existing is the epitome of tyranny.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
14 May 2020, 2:48pm
There seems to be a lot of deterrents, either in the sense of the public embarrassment of wearing something unconventional, or the implication that the people wearing masks definitely ARE sick. We need to reduce the stigma before people will volunteer in higher numbers. Of course there's also that group that think even the suggestion of a mask even existing is the epitome of tyranny.
Since you bring it up, I'll link to an article I read this morning positing that the social shaming/stigmatization of non-mask-wearing (and non-distancing behavior) is probably counterproductive: https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2020/5/14 ... oronavirus

I've been super guilty of the shaming bit myself, but have been trying to just talk to the (few) people I know who don't take this as seriously in good faith.

I think the answer is just trying to create as consistent a message from "authorities" (scientific, government, social leaders, etc.) as possible and have that be positively reinforced within our peer networks. Not that that will create 100% compliance, but I don't think the fragmented messaging combined with social stigmatization seems to really do the trick, either.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
14 May 2020, 2:52pm
Kory wrote:
Since you bring it up, I'll link to an article I read this morning positing that the social shaming/stigmatization of non-mask-wearing (and non-distancing behavior) is probably counterproductive: https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2020/5/14 ... oronavirus

I've been super guilty of the shaming bit myself, but have been trying to just talk to the (few) people I know who don't take this as seriously in good faith.

I think the answer is just trying to create as consistent a message from "authorities" (scientific, government, social leaders, etc.) as possible and have that be positively reinforced within our peer networks. Not that that will create 100% compliance, but I don't think the fragmented messaging combined with social stigmatization seems to really do the trick, either.
Well, nothing makes a certain kind of person want to resist more than being scolded (good article, btw), but I agree a unified message (and some goddamn mass testing for fuck's sake) is going to be the way out of this. It's too bad it's a pipe dream with the polarization of this country between people that are normal and people that believe in chemtrails.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Kory wrote:
14 May 2020, 3:19pm
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:

Well, nothing makes a certain kind of person want to resist more than being scolded (good article, btw), but I agree a unified message (and some goddamn mass testing for fuck's sake) is going to be the way out of this. It's too bad it's a pipe dream with the polarization of this country between people that are normal and people that believe in chemtrails.
That made me giggle like an idiot.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Mimi wrote:
14 May 2020, 3:21pm
Kory wrote:
14 May 2020, 3:19pm
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:

That made me giggle like an idiot.
If I can make one person's Thursday brighter, I'll consider it a success.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:

For shaming to work as a tool of behaviour modification, there has to be a shared culture—shared goals and values, where the loss of respect from a peer really does sting. In a pluralist society like the US (or Canada), it can't work on a large scale. Yet another effect of the decline of a common civic culture. Amongst smaller groups, particularly voluntary associations like IMCT, yeah, it could work.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

We are now at Level 2 since Wednesday.
I don’t think I have done anything yet I wasn’t previously allowed to do?
I am meeting with friends who are coming up to their apartment on Saturday so will have drinks with them.
Will be first time inside someone else’s home or meeting someone outside of our ‘bubble’ since lockdown. Will feel weird.

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

Mimi wrote:
14 May 2020, 10:14am
JennyB wrote:
14 May 2020, 10:14am
Go to a movie.
That.
Me too.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

You can put a mask on me out of my cold dead hands.