The Mark Trail Thread of Punching Justice and Smug Life Lessons

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: The Mark Trail Thread of Punching Justice and Smug Life Lessons

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 7:02pm
Wolter wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 6:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 6:15pm
Wolter wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 6:12pm
Here’s where I admit I just caught up and i...like it so far.
No snark here, but genuine curiosity: why?
It’s light and goofy. It’s playing with the idea of the stodgy old strip no one read except to dunk on it. It’s WKRP in the woods - a format change long overdue in the non-ironic newspaper strip world, and I guess I didn’t have enough ironic love for the old version to care.
Okay, fair enough, and I can, in the abstract, appreciate that kind of creative assault. But as an approach I'm not sure it isn't something that will kill it. Which seems an odd thing for a creator to do, to radically reimagine things in a way that sheds the original audience. I'm just skeptical that she can build an entirely new audience.
I’ve mostly seen positive response on twitter. Younger fans of comics seem to be taking to it more. But who knows.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 7:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 7:02pm
Wolter wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 6:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 6:15pm
Wolter wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 6:12pm
Here’s where I admit I just caught up and i...like it so far.
No snark here, but genuine curiosity: why?
It’s light and goofy. It’s playing with the idea of the stodgy old strip no one read except to dunk on it. It’s WKRP in the woods - a format change long overdue in the non-ironic newspaper strip world, and I guess I didn’t have enough ironic love for the old version to care.
Okay, fair enough, and I can, in the abstract, appreciate that kind of creative assault. But as an approach I'm not sure it isn't something that will kill it. Which seems an odd thing for a creator to do, to radically reimagine things in a way that sheds the original audience. I'm just skeptical that she can build an entirely new audience.
I’ve mostly seen positive response on twitter. Younger fans of comics seem to be taking to it more. But who knows.
If she pulls it off, even if I'm not likely to stick around, more power to her. Pulling off a radical renovation is a helluva creative coup.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

With Wolt here, I like the new strip.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 9:48pm
With Wolt here, I like the new strip.
If she can get a following good for her but so far I do not find it very interesting.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 8:17am
If she can get a following good for her but so far I do not find it very interesting.
Just from the point of an artist and the legacy of the character, why take on a strip that, seemingly, she finds lacking in every way. Imagine taking on Superman and deciding that all aspects of his private life are dumb and dispense with that, plus change him to an underwater detective. Maybe that proves to be really popular with some new fans even as plenty are turned off by such a radical change, but I'd ask why a writer/artist would want to take on a character if they don't care for the foundation of it all. Go create your own underwater detective character if that's your vision.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

The Mark Trail Thread of Millennial Laffs

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 8:50am
revbob wrote:
Just from the point of an artist and the legacy of the character, why take on a strip that, seemingly, she finds lacking in every way. Imagine taking on Superman and deciding that all aspects of his private life are dumb and dispense with that, plus change him to an underwater detective. Maybe that proves to be really popular with some new fans even as plenty are turned off by such a radical change, but I'd ask why a writer/artist would want to take on a character if they don't care for the foundation of it all. Go create your own underwater detective character if that's your vision.
I would imagine the main answer is "because my vision is a lot less likely to be published."
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 1:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I would imagine the main answer is "because my vision is a lot less likely to be published."
So back in the day Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath wanted to release a solo album. The label said no so it was released as a Black Sabbath album.

It was far from a Black Sabbath album and not very good as a whole either. Black Sabbath has so much to teach us.
Last edited by revbob on 21 Oct 2020, 3:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I agree, but I can't get behind that kind of opportunist position. Speaking more about comic book characters rather than comic strips, I'm in the camp of those who say that the writers and artists are caretakers of the characters. Tell your stories but don't do so in a way that respects notions of continuity, for both those who came before and will come after. If you can't tell the kind of stories you want within the parameters of those characters, be respectful enough not to do the work at all.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 2:27pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I agree, but I can't get behind that kind of opportunist position. Speaking more about comic book characters rather than comic strips, I'm in the camp of those who say that the writers and artists are caretakers of the characters. Tell your stories but don't do so in a way that respects notions of continuity, for both those who came before and will come after. If you can't tell the kind of stories you want within the parameters of those characters, be respectful enough not to do the work at all.
Did you mean to say disrespects?
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Spiff wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 4:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 2:27pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Did you mean to say disrespects?
Oof, yes. Or remove "don't" from that sentence. :oops:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Magazine chick looks drunk in panel two, what's in that mug?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 7:26am

So is panel 1 mocking animal rights supporters, too? And her teeth evolved into fangs in panel 2.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 7:51am
revbob wrote:

So is panel 1 mocking animal rights supporters, too? And her teeth evolved into fangs in panel 2.
Finally, a strip with the guts to go after people who dislike cultural appropriation.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:

Everyone in this new version of Mart Trail looks like they stepped out of 1996.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble