RIP 101 Walterton

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: RIP 101 Walterton

Post by Heston »

gkbill wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 4:49pm
Hello,

I am sitting here trying to take it in. What a shame for his family. I, along with everyone here I'm guessing, had no idea. Given what I knew of him, he wouldn't want us to know. It's a testament to his character that he "wouldn't want to burden us" with the knowledge he had been battling cancer - as others have stated, I wish I had the chance to thank him for his friendship. I'm still stunned.

RIP, good man.
Yes, everyone can do things differently, but I think that's actually a brave decision. Maybe this place was a release for him, I'd like to think so.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I sent her a message via instagram. I don't think you need to be connected to send/receive messages like you do on FB. I just mentioned he was a good friend from "a music message board" to leave it somewhat vague and that we were all shocked and saddened. I mentioned how well liked he was and how he spoke of her frequently and proudly. I'll let you know if I hear back.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Giving Barny's Desert Island Discs a spin tonight. Like Westway said, I've only known the man a fraction of the time you lot have but I classed him as a mate and I'll miss him greatly here.

Tube Station - The Jam
Albion - Babyshambles
Disappear - Madness
Liquidator - Harry J All Stars
Drive In Saturday - Bowie
The Boy Looked At Johnny - Libertines
West One - The Ruts

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 5:09pm
I sent her a message via instagram. I don't think you need to be connected to send/receive messages like you do on FB. I just mentioned he was a good friend from "a music message board" to leave it somewhat vague and that we were all shocked and saddened. I mentioned how well liked he was and how he spoke of her frequently and proudly. I'll let you know if I hear back.
Thanks for doing that. It sounds like you approached it with the right discretion and tone.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BitterTom wrote:
Giving Barny's Desert Island Discs a spin tonight. Like Westway said, I've only known the man a fraction of the time you lot have but I classed him as a mate and I'll miss him greatly here.

Tube Station - The Jam
Albion - Babyshambles
Disappear - Madness
West One - The Ruts
Some really good tracks on this list!!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
Excellent, many thanks for this Andrew.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:

Tube Station - The Jam
Albion - Babyshambles
Disappear - Madness
West One - The Ruts
Going on right now! I've had a couple of unscheduled drinks and I'm still kind of feeling quite emotional about this as it was so out of the blue. He was still what I'd call a really good mate, regardless of being on another continent.

Alyssa
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Alyssa »

IMCT will not be the same without 101. I’ve been a member (on and off) for 17 years or so and his posts were always memorable. We’ve definitely lost a core member of the community. Rest In Peace 101.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 5:43pm
BitterTom wrote:

Tube Station - The Jam
Albion - Babyshambles
Disappear - Madness
West One - The Ruts
Going on right now! I've had a couple of unscheduled drinks and I'm still kind of feeling quite emotional about this as it was so out of the blue. He was still what I'd call a really good mate, regardless of being on another continent.
I think we should all have a few unscheduled drinks in his honor tonight. Such a kind, funny man. I've never been part of an online community as long as I've been a part of IMCT. Not just that, but to be part of an online community where I check in every day - usually several times a day. It's because this is a group of legit good people who I like hanging out with. Despite being scattered across the globe, I feel like I've gotten to know all you guys and gals. I never had the privilege of meeting Barny in the flesh (and New Zealand feels like a million miles away from Wisconsin), but I feel like I knew him. I enjoyed hearing not just about opinions on music, but his thoughts on life. I liked hearing his stories and about his kids and so on. I feel the same way about all of you.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I don't see that chat room anymore. Was thinking we could do a hang.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Set up a Zoom?

edit: I can host it if people want. Maybe Friday or Saturday works best for everyone?
Last edited by Dr. Medulla on 07 Oct 2020, 7:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Incredibly sad news - such a kind person, great taste in music, way too young... RIP

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Someone I know, who had just lost her husband to lung cancer, shared a tidbit of his and why he never told people he had cancer: (paraphrase) when you tell others you have cancer they stop seeing the person and only see the cancer.

As someone else said, maybe this was the place be could step away from that for a while.

To share one of the things I remember most about Wallie was the pie / lid thread. And I loved how proud he was of his daughter.

Anyway, fuck 2020.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

It's so weird how it becomes more real as the day goes along. Partly because you've been thinking about it all day, but also missing his presence when he would have posted from the future.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

Mimi wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 7:36pm
Someone I know, who had just lost her husband to lung cancer, shared a tidbit of his and why he never told people he had cancer: (paraphrase) when you tell others you have cancer they stop seeing the person and only see the cancer.

As someone else said, maybe this was the place be could step away from that for a while.

To share one of the things I remember most about Wallie was the pie / lid thread. And I loved how proud he was of his daughter.

Anyway, fuck 2020.
Your first point is very valid and quite thought provoking. If this was a place where Barny could step away then I'm glad to have been part of it. :approve:

Haha, the pie thread. Someone is gonna have to dig that out. Who is good at searches on here?

And lastly, it is very sad he may not be around to watch his daughter achieve her full potential.