Any of you ever ordered glasses online?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Any of you ever ordered glasses online?

Post by Mimi »

What was your experience?

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Any of you ever ordered glasses online?

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Mimi wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 8:55am
I have. I've gotten two pairs from https://www.framesdirect.com/ and have had a good experience. You need to get a copy of your prescription to either upload or key in. I did not know my pupil distance so the person from the lab reached out to me and had me send a phot in of me holding a CD to the tip of my nose so she could get the right measure. They are not the cheapest out there but the quality and services was well worth it.

I used GlassesDirect a few years ago when I was fairly broke and got a flimsy pair for like $100 and they just lasted like a year. My FramesDirect specs cost me like $250 (with rx lenses) and they're great and a year on they are holding up well. I should say that I paid up for the super thin lenses as I have a strong prescription and that bumped my price up like $75.

BostonBeaneater

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 11:12am
Mimi wrote:
I have. I've gotten two pairs from https://www.framesdirect.com/ and have had a good experience. You need to get a copy of your prescription to either upload or key in. I did not know my pupil distance so the person from the lab reached out to me and had me send a phot in of me holding a CD to the tip of my nose so she could get the right measure. They are not the cheapest out there but the quality and services was well worth it.

I used GlassesDirect a few years ago when I was fairly broke and got a flimsy pair for like $100 and they just lasted like a year. My FramesDirect specs cost me like $250 (with rx lenses) and they're great and a year on they are holding up well. I should say that I paid up for the super thin lenses as I have a strong prescription and that bumped my price up like $75.
Wow. That is expensive. Zenni seems to be cheap, but it might be a bait and switch. I'll dig deeper into Frames Direct and see if I can find something. I had never heard of this site so thankies.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

The woman convinced me to buy some warby parker glasses. They send you frames to try, you pick the one you like and then they so your glasses for you. They don't take vision insurance upfront but (at least with our insurance) we could submit for reimbursement afterwards.

Might be too much of a "millennial" company for folks around here, but the quality seems pretty good to me and the glasses are stylish.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 11:51am
Might be too much of a "millennial" company for folks around here, but the quality seems pretty good to me and the glasses are stylish.
Avocado toast or facial hair required?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
The woman convinced me to buy some warby parker glasses. They send you frames to try, you pick the one you like and then they so your glasses for you. They don't take vision insurance upfront but (at least with our insurance) we could submit for reimbursement afterwards.

I've used them in the past and would recommend them. The process was pretty seamless. They also have standalone stores. I thought the quality was good and the pricing was decent.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

BostonBeaneater

Mimi wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 11:48am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Wow. That is expensive. Zenni seems to be cheap, but it might be a bait and switch. I'll dig deeper into Frames Direct and see if I can find something. I had never heard of this site so thankies.
Most of that was for my lenses. I’m blind.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Flex wrote:

I looked at their site months ago and didn't notice the type of frames I like, but upon closer inspection I see they have some lighter weight ones. Cool.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 3:36pm
Mimi wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Same. I see you. You're blurry, but I see you.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I did warby Parker for my last pair and I liked it fine. The only reason I didn’t do it this time is they were my first progressive lenses and I was leery of the extra step.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Wolter wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 7:28pm
I did warby Parker for my last pair and I liked it fine. The only reason I didn’t do it this time is they were my first progressive lenses and I was leery of the extra step.
How are you handling the progressive lenses?

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Mimi wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 7:38am
Wolter wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 7:28pm
How are you handling the progressive lenses?
It took a week or so to adjust, but I love them now. It’s nice to be able to see things a foot from my face again.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Mimi wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 4:57pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Mimi wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Mimi wrote:

This sounds like me. My prescription hasn't changed much in the past decade, but this year my near vision declined. I had just turned 43 and my eye doctor said most people hit a point in their early 40's when their near vision starts going (I'm near sighted)...so progressive lenses are in my future.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 9:47am
Mimi wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 4:57pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Mimi wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

This sounds like me. My prescription hasn't changed much in the past decade, but this year my near vision declined. I had just turned 43 and my eye doctor said most people hit a point in their early 40's when their near vision starts going (I'm near sighted)...so progressive lenses are in my future.
Yeah. Mine basically told me “this happens to pretty much everyone. You can either do reading glasses or progressive lenses.” I chose the latter after unofficially doing the former for about 6 months.