80s movies that held up over time

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: 80s movies that held up over time

Post by Heston »

Just out of the 80s (1990) but I loved Flatliners at the time but saw it recently and was nowhere near as good as I remembered.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

matedog wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 3:18pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 2:42pm
I still enjoy The Lost Boys. "They're only noodles, Michael." A friend of mine occasionally quotes that line when handing me a plate of pasta.

And The Legend of Billie Jean, mostly because of Helen Slater but also Pat Benatar's "Invincible" in the soundtrack. The whole soundtrack is pretty decent actually.
Oh shit yeah Lost Boys is great. Just the sweaty sax guy has aged poorly.
Ha! Yeah, I could do without the sweaty sax guy. Tim Cappello, worked with Tina Turner in the 80s and 90s. Apparently he's known for performing with that look, so it wasn't just for the movie. Wouldn't be surprised if he's credited as "sweaty sax guy" in the closing credits.

The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kimmelweck wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 3:51pm
matedog wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
I still enjoy The Lost Boys. "They're only noodles, Michael." A friend of mine occasionally quotes that line when handing me a plate of pasta.

And The Legend of Billie Jean, mostly because of Helen Slater but also Pat Benatar's "Invincible" in the soundtrack. The whole soundtrack is pretty decent actually.
Ha! Yeah, I could do without the sweaty sax guy. Tim Cappello, worked with Tina Turner in the 80s and 90s. Apparently he's known for performing with that look, so it wasn't just for the movie. Wouldn't be surprised if he's credited as "sweaty sax guy" in the closing credits.

😂

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

FarawayTowns wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 3:19pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Agreed I think The Lost Boys holds up pretty well. However much to my shame I only saw it for the time when it was on TV during the spring UK lockdown.
Had intended to watch it for years but never got round to it. Enjoyable watch.
I saw it in 1987 at the cinema when it first came out. Definitely a fun movie.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kimmelweck wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 3:56pm
FarawayTowns wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Agreed I think The Lost Boys holds up pretty well. However much to my shame I only saw it for the time when it was on TV during the spring UK lockdown.
Granpa always cracks me up.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 3:57pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
"One thing I never could stand about Santa Carla - all the damned vampires." I paraphrase that line all the time, inserting just about any place for Santa Carla.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

You have to remember who directed it and how homoerotic the whole movie is. Then it makes more sense.

Legend of Billie Jean has a hell of a badass mid-movie Glow-Up for Helen Slater.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Wolter wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 4:05pm
matedog wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

You have to remember who directed it and how homoerotic the whole movie is. Then it makes more sense.

Legend of Billie Jean has a hell of a badass mid-movie Glow-Up for Helen Slater.
Agreed on your point about Helen Slater - I love that Joan of Arc scene. Also, took me years to realize Putter was the voice of Lisa Simpson (Yeardley Smith).

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Kimmelweck wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 4:16pm
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

Agreed on your point about Helen Slater - I love that Joan of Arc scene. Also, took me years to realize Putter was the voice of Lisa Simpson (Yeardley Smith).
I didn’t see it until fairly recently, so I knew instantly, but it blew my wife’s mind because she hadn’t seen it since before the Simpsons was a thing.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 1:48pm
I rewatched Trading Places the other day and it is still insanely, insanely good. Highest of recommendations for a rewatch, and it's Christmas-adjacent so tis the season and all that.
This is perhaps my favorite comedy of all time.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I have to say, re-watching Sixteen Candles and Revenge of the Nerds over the past few years was eye opening. The casual misogyny and racism is pretty striking, especially since these were movies I grew up with and watched over and over again.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kimmelweck wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 3:57pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
"One thing I never could stand about Santa Carla - all the damned vampires." I paraphrase that line all the time, inserting just about any place for Santa Carla.
Excellent. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Wolter wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 4:48pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

I didn’t see it until fairly recently, so I knew instantly, but it blew my wife’s mind because she hadn’t seen it since before the Simpsons was a thing.
I saw the movie pre-Simpsons and only found out a couple years ago when I read an interview with Smith and Slater. I also learned from the interview that Helen and Christian Slater are not related, and that both actresses found the guy who played Mr. Pyatt to be really creepy in real life too.

The only other movies I remember Helen Slater in were Supergirl and Secret of My Success (with Michael J. Fox). I’d say they didn’t age well, but they were pretty forgettable movies from the get-go. I've always associated the Yello song (Oh Yeah) with Secret of My Success though rather than Ferris Bueller’s Day Off because Aunt Vera was pretty hot.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 5:01pm
I have to say, re-watching Sixteen Candles and Revenge of the Nerds over the past few years was eye opening. The casual misogyny and racism is pretty striking, especially since these were movies I grew up with and watched over and over again.

Oh, that's a shot stolen from Night of the Hunter.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Kimmelweck wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 5:50pm
Wolter wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 4:48pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:

I saw the movie pre-Simpsons and only found out a couple years ago when I read an interview with Smith and Slater. I also learned from the interview that Helen and Christian Slater are not related, and that both actresses found the guy who played Mr. Pyatt to be really creepy in real life too.

The only other movies I remember Helen Slater in were Supergirl and Secret of My Success (with Michael J. Fox). I’d say they didn’t age well, but they were pretty forgettable movies from the get-go. I've always associated the Yello song (Oh Yeah) with Secret of My Success though rather than Ferris Bueller’s Day Off because Aunt Vera was pretty hot.
She was also in Ruthless People, a movie I forgot about until my wife showed it to me for our podcast.