The Kaleb Horton Deceased Latvian Foreign Minister Thread, 2021 edition

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: The Kaleb Horton Deceased Latvian Foreign Minister Thread, 2021 edition

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
24 Aug 2021, 3:08pm
tepista wrote:
24 Aug 2021, 2:03pm
i'm about to cry in the office.
Hold it together Tep.
I'm better now. But still sad
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 Aug 2021, 3:24pm
tepista wrote:
The best Stone.
By far.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

JennyB wrote:
24 Aug 2021, 6:33pm
Silent Majority wrote:
tepista wrote:
The best Stone.
By far.
Yup
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
24 Aug 2021, 8:03pm
JennyB wrote:
24 Aug 2021, 6:33pm
Silent Majority wrote:
tepista wrote:
The best Stone.
By far.
Yup
No contest.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Shocked, just saw the news about Charlie Watts, what a shame, RIP Charlie, you'll be missed. :cry:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Charlie Watts RIP. His low-key sense of class and style aswell as his impeccable musicianship just set the Stones apart.
Plus when he did get interviewed, he was witty as hell. His quip in the '25x5' doc about his 25 years with the Stones being '5 years playing, and 20 years hanging around' is brilliant.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

Charlie Watts is a really tough one to wrap my head around. Feels like the floodgates opening on the definitive end of monoculture. Over the next ten years, they're probably all gonna go. Dylan, McCartney, Bill Murray, Harrison Ford, Pacino, Nicholson, the rest of the Stones, it's gonna really suck.

It's tough to follow legitimate country music these days, where this already happened. Everybody's shuffled off by now except for crazy outliers like Bobby Bare and Willie Nelson. When Shaver and Tom T. Hall went, that was pretty much the end of the singers who were primarily songwriters. Rock's not far behind either.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

CorwoodRep wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 5:46pm
Charlie Watts is a really tough one to wrap my head around. Feels like the floodgates opening on the definitive end of monoculture. Over the next ten years, they're probably all gonna go. Dylan, McCartney, Bill Murray, Harrison Ford, Pacino, Nicholson, the rest of the Stones, it's gonna really suck.
That crossed my mind a couple days ago. When I saw Stones & Friends (Dylan, Neil Young, Macca, Floyd and the Who) at Desert Trip in 2016, Mick said "Welcome to the 'See 'em Before They Croak Tour'"
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 6:41pm
CorwoodRep wrote:
That crossed my mind a couple days ago. When I saw Stones & Friends (Dylan, Neil Young, Macca, Floyd and the Who) at Desert Trip in 2016, Mick said "Welcome to the 'See 'em Before They Croak Tour'"
Yeah its gonna happen and it's gonna suck to lose a lot of these but I feel it hurt more losing Joe, Lux and some others who were still making really good music to the end.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 8:49pm
tepista wrote:
CorwoodRep wrote:
Yeah its gonna happen and it's gonna suck to lose a lot of these but I feel it hurt more losing Joe, Lux and some others who were still making really good music to the end.
Yeah, that's where I am. There's an ocean of difference between the death of someone in their 50s and still actively creating and someone in their 70s or 80s where people are drawn to what they did when they were young. Certainly no disrespect or criticism to those who get bummed out when an old hero passes, but the loss of possibility just isn't there for me. The old guys have built their legacy and earned their reward, so to speak, there's little left to accomplish.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 8:58pm
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
CorwoodRep wrote:
Yeah, that's where I am. There's an ocean of difference between the death of someone in their 50s and still actively creating and someone in their 70s or 80s where people are drawn to what they did when they were young. Certainly no disrespect or criticism to those who get bummed out when an old hero passes, but the loss of possibility just isn't there for me. The old guys have built their legacy and earned their reward, so to speak, there's little left to accomplish.
Exactly. The unfortunate truth is we all are on borrowed time. Its the same with family and friends, I dont want to lose any of them but better 80 and a life well lived than 50 with more in the tank.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 9:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
CorwoodRep wrote:
Exactly. The unfortunate truth is we all are on borrowed time. Its the same with family and friends, I dont want to lose any of them but better 80 and a life well lived than 50 with more in the tank.
Hello,

I agree and disagree. I don't believe I'm on borrowed time. I've earned my time with a lot of sweat equity. I think the more you work and continually pursue things/goals/activities, the longer you can maintain a high quality of life.

After Bowie passed, I felt terrible as I had not seen him perform live. I could have seen the Pistols in Atlanta - too many regrets. There's a few bands I've put on a "I want to see them before they die" list. I hope AC/DC tours. I don't expect much beyond a pretty fun show - but I want to see them before someone passes.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 10:52pm
revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 9:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:

Hello,

I agree and disagree. I don't believe I'm on borrowed time. I've earned my time with a lot of sweat equity. I think the more you work and continually pursue things/goals/activities, the longer you can maintain a high quality of life.

After Bowie passed, I felt terrible as I had not seen him perform live. I could have seen the Pistols in Atlanta - too many regrets. There's a few bands I've put on a "I want to see them before they die" list. I hope AC/DC tours. I don't expect much beyond a pretty fun show - but I want to see them before someone passes.
I know what you mean and I guess what I was going for is finite. Our time is finite. At this point Angus is really the only legit tie to their beginnings. I suppose Brian Johnson to some degree as he's been in the band longer tham Bon Scott. I saw them back in high school. They put on a good AC/DC show. I missed seeing Joe, and at this point Ive missed Shane, so definitely some regrets in these areas.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
CorwoodRep wrote:
That's one of the things that still hurts about losing Joe for me. The untapped potential, the endless wonder at what he'd be up to in his 70s, what he'd have to say for himself about this fucked up planet. Cos there's no way I can see he'd be silent about it. I know there was probably no escaping the clash legacy ever, but in a way i thought he was just beginning to get real interesting, right at the point the rug gets pulled from beneath him. In my head I see a guy growing older and wiser and mining a rich creative seam, like a Cash or a Cohen. Alas, never to be.