MLB 2021

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: MLB 2021

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 6:53pm
Jays back in the Big Smoke on 30 July. Be there, Inder. :cool:
😎🤝

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 9:15pm
I admit, when the Yankees traded for Stanton, I groaned at the thought of he and Judge being Mantle/Maris redux, but, apart from a few flashes of terror, Christ has Stanton been lame. Either injured or indifferent in his at-bats. Hard not to think he hates the big stage of New York.
I kind of expected him to be a bust. We've talked about this stuff before people who can't handle the intense spotlight especially when they are getting paid huge sums of money.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 8:47am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I admit, when the Yankees traded for Stanton, I groaned at the thought of he and Judge being Mantle/Maris redux, but, apart from a few flashes of terror, Christ has Stanton been lame. Either injured or indifferent in his at-bats. Hard not to think he hates the big stage of New York.
I kind of expected him to be a bust. We've talked about this stuff before people who can't handle the intense spotlight especially when they are getting paid huge sums of money.
When I did my Master's degree, my school gave me a stupid amount of money. I literally received every scholarship the department had to offer that first year, and while I was happy to take the money—we still needed student loans to survive—it freaked me out and I thought I had to be some kind of star student. I was miserable thru much of my degree—that I chose not to go do a PhD at the time is no surprise at all—because I put so much pressure on myself and could never live up to it. Christ, I did the core courses for both the American and European fields. I was not, and still am not, someone comfortable with that kind of status.

When I decided to do my PhD here about a decade ago, the year after I started, the program admitted an Australian guy who received a huge scholarship from an external foundation. He pissed off and alienated a lot of faculty members and other grad students (I had sparse contact with him because I generally didn't hang out with other grad students; I was in my 40s and married, they were almost all in their 20s, unmarried, and doing shit that people that age do), and my understanding is that he was mostly a bullshit artist as a scholar and a self-promoter—he self-published his Master's thesis and Honour's thesis—but he reveled in that wrestling villain rep. And he parlayed it into some kind of job in the UK. I don't exactly admire him, but he's a guy who knows how to self-promote and succeed.

In short, I was a born Mariner and he was a born Yankee.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 9:10am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
When I did my Master's degree, my school gave me a stupid amount of money. I literally received every scholarship the department had to offer that first year, and while I was happy to take the money—we still needed student loans to survive—it freaked me out and I thought I had to be some kind of star student. I was miserable thru much of my degree—that I chose not to go do a PhD at the time is no surprise at all—because I put so much pressure on myself and could never live up to it. Christ, I did the core courses for both the American and European fields. I was not, and still am not, someone comfortable with that kind of status.

When I decided to do my PhD here about a decade ago, the year after I started, the program admitted an Australian guy who received a huge scholarship from an external foundation. He pissed off and alienated a lot of faculty members and other grad students (I had sparse contact with him because I generally didn't hang out with other grad students; I was in my 40s and married, they were almost all in their 20s, unmarried, and doing shit that people that age do), and my understanding is that he was mostly a bullshit artist as a scholar and a self-promoter—he self-published his Master's thesis and Honour's thesis—but he reveled in that wrestling villain rep. And he parlayed it into some kind of job in the UK. I don't exactly admire him, but he's a guy who knows how to self-promote and succeed.

Not even a Blue Jay?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 9:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 9:10am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Not even a Blue Jay?
:yuck:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

This is an all-timer:

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

The Rangers are BAAAAD

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Inder wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 5:29pm
This is an all-timer:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Its Gleyber Day!!!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/fan- ... x-verdugo/

He should consider himself lucky. Back in the day it was knives, beer bottles, and batteries. Or in the case of Ducky Medwick, fruits and vegetables. I believe he remains the only player to be thrown out of a game for his own safety. His great quote following the incident was something like: "I knew why they threw them. What I don't understand is why they brought them to the ballpark in the first place."
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 8:49am

He should consider himself lucky. Back in the day it was knives, beer bottles, and batteries. Or in the case of Ducky Medwick, fruits and vegetables. I believe he remains the only player to be thrown out of a game for his own safety. His great quote following the incident was something like: "I knew why they threw them. What I don't understand is why they brought them to the ballpark in the first place."
I've read that in the 70s, Yankees/Red Sox outfields in both parks were plagued by fans throwing darts at players. You can appreciate why some players went into the stands to fight the fans.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 9:09am
WestwayKid wrote:

I've read that in the 70s, Yankees/Red Sox outfields in both parks were plagued by fans throwing darts at players. You can appreciate why some players went into the stands to fight the fans.
I saw a photo - and I can't find it again - where a player in the 30's or 40's was knocked out after getting hit in the head by a wooden fruit crate.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 9:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I saw a photo - and I can't find it again - where a player in the 30's or 40's was knocked out after getting hit in the head by a wooden fruit crate.
I do a lecture on performance of Shakespeare in America in the 19th century, and it's hilarious what projectiles a displeasing actor might have to dodge, such as animal heads. Meaning people brought these things with them … just in case.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 9:27am
WestwayKid wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 9:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I do a lecture on performance of Shakespeare in America in the 19th century, and it's hilarious what projectiles a displeasing actor might have to dodge, such as animal heads. Meaning people brought these things with them … just in case.
Thank you for the opportunity to share my favorite hockey video.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Rice art in Japan
Attachments
rice 2.jpg
rice 1.jpg
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak