MLB 2021

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: MLB 2021

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 9:48pm
revbob wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 9:31pm
The Pirates were the team to root for in that series.
Can't say that with confidence nowadays, sadly.
Must be something I don't know...

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 10:12pm
revbob wrote:
Better versed in baseball history now, I’d have a hard time cheering against Earl Weaver. Not saying I’d change my mind, but Earl was such a smart and colourful manager (he and Billy Martin were of a type) that it gives some pause. Plus the Orioles had John Lowenstein …

… who somehow wasn’t Jewish.
WE DON'T ALL WEAR NUMBER 38, GOEBBELS.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 11:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 10:12pm
revbob wrote:
Better versed in baseball history now, I’d have a hard time cheering against Earl Weaver. Not saying I’d change my mind, but Earl was such a smart and colourful manager (he and Billy Martin were of a type) that it gives some pause. Plus the Orioles had John Lowenstein …

… who somehow wasn’t Jewish.
WE DON'T ALL WEAR NUMBER 38, GOEBBELS.
A mighty :lol:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I'm hesitant to share this piece here, because Freddie DeBoer is a known Total Piece of Shit, but his attack on contemporary, sabre-informed baseball is making the rounds on my Twitter feed this morning: https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/ye ... d-baseball

Addendum: This last season of baseball is one of the most fun I can remember watching in recent memory and I watched all but maybe a 10 or 12 So games, so I think the product is fine if you're team is competitive. The Rockies aren't very sabre-influenced and they're horrible to watch on the reg.

Addendum II: he cites a bunch of other stuff that I agree is Bad About Modern Baseball, but I don't think it really has much to do one way or the other with whether the "nerds have ruined baseball" as he asserts.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 12:29pm
I'm hesitant to share this piece here, because Freddie DeBoer is a known Total Piece of Shit, but his attack on contemporary, sabre-informed baseball is making the rounds on my Twitter feed this morning: https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/ye ... d-baseball

Addendum: This last season of baseball is one of the most fun I can remember watching in recent memory and I watched all but maybe a 10 or 12 So games, so I think the product is fine if you're team is competitive. The Rockies aren't very sabre-influenced and they're horrible to watch on the reg.

Addendum II: he cites a bunch of other stuff that I agree is Bad About Modern Baseball, but I don't think it really has much to do one way or the other with whether the "nerds have ruined baseball" as he asserts.
These people sound like Ty Cobb bitching about how Babe Ruth ruined baseball with the home run. Baseball should be about working a lead-off walk, stealing second, bunting the guy to third, and then a sacrifice fly!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched chunks of G7 of the 1952 WS* this morning and now have 1971 on. The biggest difference—and it could be the quality of the mikes—is how much quieter crowds were in 1952. Not that 1971 is crazy loud, but there does seem more emotional investment.

* Fucking Dodgers should have won that game. So many opportunities that they gagged on.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

1979 is on now. It makes me think of how much my dad hated Howard Cosell, but I really like his work. He was serious, no bullshit, and had a clear social conscience. He was a big mouth, sure (which is what my dad, who aspired to middle-class modesty, hated about him) but he used it for good purpose. I can't think of any sports broadcaster today who compares.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 7:20pm
1979 is on now. It makes me think of how much my dad hated Howard Cosell, but I really like his work. He was serious, no bullshit, and had a clear social conscience. He was a big mouth, sure (which is what my dad, who aspired to middle-class modesty, hated about him) but he used it for good purpose. I can't think of any sports broadcaster today who compares.
My dad hated him too.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 7:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
My dad hated him too.
My dad hated Don Cherry, too, and for the same reason that he did Cosell. My dad was probably closer to Cherry's politics, but he just couldn't stand loudmouths.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 7:52pm
revbob wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 7:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
My dad hated him too.
My dad hated Don Cherry, too, and for the same reason that he did Cosell. My dad was probably closer to Cherry's politics, but he just couldn't stand loudmouths.
Yeah my dad tended to prefer the announcers who spoke less. He hated McCarver too. Incessant babble to fill any potential dead air.
As a kid I didn't much pay attention to Cosell.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
For a second I thought it was pretty wild that your dad hated such an awesome free jazz trumpeter.

Last edited by Flex on 08 Dec 2021, 8:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Willie fucking Stargell. He's 93 years old and has a single, 2 doubles, and the go ahead/winning homer in Game 7. Not quite Jeterian, but close.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 8:00pm
Yeah my dad tended to prefer the announcers who spoke less. He hated McCarver too. Incessant babble to fill any potential dead air.
Supposedly McCarver was a pretty solid announcer before he went senile / teamed with Joe Buck. Listening to him abuse language and logic in equal measure was fucking painful.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 8:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
For a second I thought it was pretty wild that your dad hated such an awesome free jazz trumpeter.

My dad would have just been uncomfortable about that Negro and his strange, non-white views.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 8:05pm
My dad would have just been uncomfortable about that Negro and his strange, non-white views.
This places your dad significantly to the left of the contemporary us republican party on the matter of race relations.

Pex Lives!