MLB 2021

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2021

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 1:38pm
Yankees trying to match their recent winning streak with an equivalent losing streak.
An Oriolian losing streak! /sterling

It took like four games before the Red Sox decided to oblige and win to pass them in the standings.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Okay, setting aside my cynicism toward Jeter—great player, not even close to inner circle—anyone have thoughts about his calling out in his HoF speech the person who didn't vote for him? I'm torn between him being an imperious asshole and him playing with all that, or even seemingly being playful about it to cover up being an imperious asshole. Pretty sure, tho, that if any other player did that, the media would devour the guy for being ungracious at that moment.

edit: I'm casually watching Jays/Yanks and couldn't help but think of revbob as Stanton dogs it on what he thought was an easy double and is tagged out (tho he made a neat slide that initially was called safe).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 8:21pm
Okay, setting aside my cynicism toward Jeter—great player, not even close to inner circle—anyone have thoughts about his calling out in his HoF speech the person who didn't vote for him? I'm torn between him being an imperious asshole and him playing with all that, or even seemingly being playful about it to cover up being an imperious asshole. Pretty sure, tho, that if any other player did that, the media would devour the guy for being ungracious at that moment.

edit: I'm casually watching Jays/Yanks and couldn't help but think of revbob as Stanton dogs it on what he thought was an easy double and is tagged out (tho he made a neat slide that initially was called safe).
So dont know if you follow basketball but Michael Jordan was/is similarly an asshole.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 8:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 8:21pm

So dont know if you follow basketball but Michael Jordan was/is similarly an asshole.
The guy with the Hitler mustache?!?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Neat and meaningless stat that I saw about yesterday's Jays/Yankees game: The last time the Yankees were swept at home in a four-game series without leading in any of the games, Theodore Roosevelt was president (1908).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 6:56am
Neat and meaningless stat that I saw about yesterday's Jays/Yankees game: The last time the Yankees were swept at home in a four-game series without leading in any of the games, Theodore Roosevelt was president (1908).
I don't understand how the team was kicking ass so recently and now look so horrible.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 7:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't understand how the team was kicking ass so recently and now look so horrible.
It's a funny game. The cliche about momentum being next day's starting pitcher, but, yeah, having their longest winning streak since the mid-80s immediately followed by 6 straight losses is hard to figure out. Even weirder, the good times was when they lost all those players to the virus and were plugging in scrubs. At this point, I can't see Boone coming back short of winning the WS. He might not be the blame for an underachieving club, but he doesn't seem like the solution either. Cashman might also be too long in that job, too.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 7:44am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's a funny game. The cliche about momentum being next day's starting pitcher, but, yeah, having their longest winning streak since the mid-80s immediately followed by 6 straight losses is hard to figure out. Even weirder, the good times was when they lost all those players to the virus and were plugging in scrubs. At this point, I can't see Boone coming back short of winning the WS. He might not be the blame for an underachieving club, but he doesn't seem like the solution either. Cashman might also be too long in that job, too.
Yeah I wont be sorry to see Boone go.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 7:48am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Until this guy is your next manager:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 7:56am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
What happened to old Bobby V?

Yeah not sure who would be a good replacement

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 8:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 7:56am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

What happened to old Bobby V?

Yeah not sure who would be a good replacement
He's got a restaurant in Connecticut—he claims he invented the wrap sandwich; um, probably not—and I think he runs some private school's athletic program. His one year with Boston was hilaribad. It took about a month for the team to unite against him. One of those geniuses whose curse is to be surrounded by those unworthy of his aura.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

😎

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Jays have 11 games against the Orioles and Twins left, but 6 against the Rays and finish with 3 against the Yankees. But only 2 off-days. If they take all 4 against Baltimore this weekend, I'd be bullish on them getting one of the WC's. Anything less than 3-1 and I bet against them.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Finally figured out why Nestor Cortes seems so familiar:

He used to be Steve Balboni:

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

GO TORONTO!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak