MLB 2021

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2021

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ha, now Sale has Covid (second time, no less). That Toronto-Seattle wildcard everyone has been clamouring for seems in reach.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 12:27pm
Ha, now Sale has Covid (second time, no less). That Toronto-Seattle wildcard everyone has been clamouring for seems in reach.
the sox have been notorious in not following/enforcing masking rules since the organization is under 85% guidance. i have absolutely no sympathy for the club for losing players when they're one of the most irresponsible organizations in baseball on this shit. I've enjoyed the little winning streak they put together with a bunch of scrubs but they should be forced to forfeit games, frankly.

(no ire are Sale specifically, as I think they said he's vaccinated. It's just insane they're such a plague spreading club that a guy who's been vaxxed AND had covid before is now scratched from his next couple starts). I don't care what other merits they may have as leaders or baseball people, Cora and Bloom both deserve to be run out of town for their lack of heavy hand on the masking and vaxxing. Just pathetic. If I had my way, anyone in charge of other human beings that doesn't force vaccinating (and, as needed, masking) deserves complete exile from society
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 12:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 12:27pm
the sox have been notorious in not following/enforcing masking rules since the organization is under 85% guidance. i have absolutely no sympathy for the club for losing players when they're one of the most irresponsible organizations in baseball on this shit. I've enjoyed the little winning streak they put together with a bunch of scrubs but they should be forced to forfeit games, frankly.

(no ire are Sale specifically, as I think they said he's vaccinated. It's just insane they're such a plague spreading club that a guy who's been vaxxed AND had covid before is now scratched from his next couple starts). I don't care what other merits they may have as leaders or baseball people, Cora and Bloom both deserve to be run out of town for their lack of heavy hand on the masking and vaxxing. Just pathetic. If I had my way, anyone in charge of other human beings that doesn't force vaccinating (and, as needed, masking) deserves complete exile from society
I fundamentally agree. If other clubs can get their players to behave reasonably responsibly, what's Boston's excuse? While they can't force vaccination, as far as I know, there's all kinds of informal means of inducement (such as reduced playing time, peer pressure, etc). They also should have been keeping starting pitchers away from the rest of the team, especially once the recent outbreak began. If you don't pitch that day, don't come to the park.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Understand your anger Flex but in many cases the managers have little to no sway over these superstars who will do what they want.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 1:52pm
Understand your anger Flex but in many cases the managers have little to no sway over these superstars who will do what they want.
Sure, rich people do what rich people want and so forth, but it's striking that the sox are known as having a bad vaccination rate even relative to other clubs. Just embarrassing.

Anyways, go Lake Monsters!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 5:13pm
revbob wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 1:52pm
Sure, rich people do what rich people want and so forth, but it's striking that the sox are known as having a bad vaccination rate even relative to other clubs. Just embarrassing.

Anyways, go Lake Monsters!
Hell Yeah!!!

https://www.milb.com/news/820gamer

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Gary Sanchez is flat-out a lousy catcher, fucking up an easy tag-out at the plate. Enjoy playing in Flexorado or Arizona next year, chump.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 7:49pm
Gary Sanchez is flat-out a lousy catcher, fucking up an easy tag-out at the plate. Enjoy playing in Flexorado or Arizona next year, chump.
Cant get rid of him fast enough. Ive been saying it for like 3 years now he can't handle NY. He's a DH at best and maybe he's too far gone for that even.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 7:56am
revbob wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 7:48am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 7:44am
revbob wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 7:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 6:56am
Neat and meaningless stat that I saw about yesterday's Jays/Yankees game: The last time the Yankees were swept at home in a four-game series without leading in any of the games, Theodore Roosevelt was president (1908).
I don't understand how the team was kicking ass so recently and now look so horrible.
It's a funny game. The cliche about momentum being next day's starting pitcher, but, yeah, having their longest winning streak since the mid-80s immediately followed by 6 straight losses is hard to figure out. Even weirder, the good times was when they lost all those players to the virus and were plugging in scrubs. At this point, I can't see Boone coming back short of winning the WS. He might not be the blame for an underachieving club, but he doesn't seem like the solution either. Cashman might also be too long in that job, too.
Yeah I wont be sorry to see Boone go.
Until this guy is your next manager:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mets-yankees-t ... ears-later

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 8:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 7:56am
revbob wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 7:48am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 7:44am
revbob wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 7:23am

I don't understand how the team was kicking ass so recently and now look so horrible.
It's a funny game. The cliche about momentum being next day's starting pitcher, but, yeah, having their longest winning streak since the mid-80s immediately followed by 6 straight losses is hard to figure out. Even weirder, the good times was when they lost all those players to the virus and were plugging in scrubs. At this point, I can't see Boone coming back short of winning the WS. He might not be the blame for an underachieving club, but he doesn't seem like the solution either. Cashman might also be too long in that job, too.
Yeah I wont be sorry to see Boone go.
Until this guy is your next manager:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mets-yankees-t ... ears-later
He's been in the booth with Costas and Verducci on MLB Network's broadcast of Met-Yankees. I've basically tuned him out because I don't give a fuck about how baseball stitched together broken hearts and that sentimental self-congratulatory crap.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

What I see with the Yankees is organizational in nature.
Steinbrenner Jr. or whatever his name is that now owns them, doesn't have the passion for baseball like daddy did. Steinbrenner Jr. is interested in money. The Yankees are determined to get under the cap no matter what. The commonly perceived image of the "Big Bad Yankees" died the day Daddy Steinbrenner did, Jr. and crew just never told the fans that. Daddy would never let money get in the way of acquiring the best players, profit/budget/league tax be damned. The current day Yankees are not run that way. Given that mandate from ownership, Cashman has done as good a job as could be expected. The team itself is overloaded with power hitters and other than Cole lacks pitching depth. Their bullpen, once a major strength of the team, isn't as good as in the past, overworked due to the starting pitching not being quite good enough. As for their offense, homeruns are great and all but that style is usually feast-or-famine, that's just the way it is. Sure, Cashman is the one who assembled this roster and deserves some criticism but given what he was by ownership, he didn't have the resources they normally would have had (meaaning, spend spend spend) so he took gambles with guys like Kluber and hoped the offense would be monsters and carry them.
Boone is another issue. He can be criticized for some moves/decisions but I don't think he's their big problem given the configuration of the roster.
The Yankees have talent. The talent has been streaky to say the least this season. For me, the biggest question that needs an answer is, will ownership continue to hold down the spending? If they do, expect more seasons like this one.
I like Cashman (remember, i'm a Mets fan) and the stability that he has given the Yankees. I just think his hands have been kinda tied this year. I'd take him to run my team in a heartbeat. I'd also have taken Daddy Steinbrenner to be my team's owner. Steinbrenner Jr, not so much.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm massively enjoying that none of the AL WC contenders want to win another game. So, so much suck going on.

Also, very much agreed re. weller259's comment about Steinbrenner the Helldweller. He was a loudmouthed asshole, but he wanted his team to win more than anything else. He got in the way of that so often, meddling in shit when he should have deferred to experts, but he judged a season by a championship, not the bottom line. I like that in an owner.

edit: Ha! I'm taking credit for the Jays' comeback.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wow I hadn't seen this until just now

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 8:23am
Wow I hadn't seen this until just now

How do you not bench a guy for that? One thing the Red Sox and Yankees share this season is incredibly unsound fundamentals. Both teams play like they're infected with brain parasites.