NHL 2021

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: NHL 2021

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2021, 6:46pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
27 May 2021, 6:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2021, 12:55pm
Ken Dryden on fighting in hockey: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... stupidity/
Pretty good article. I thought it was stupid a.f. that they couldn’t get back to playing without a fight after the Tavares injury the other night. Guy gets accidentally injured, it’s a somber moment and everyone is worried there might be a serious head injury, so let’s clear the air by letting me take a few swings at your head. The injury wasn’t even Perry’s fault and he obviously felt terrible about it. Good on him I guess for just kind of taking it - he wrestled around with Foligno, took a few punches but didn’t throw any of his own. On the street, Foligno might have wound up in jail – but on the ice? Nah, gotta get some payback for an accidental injury. I can understand a few mutual punches in the heat of the moment during a rough game, but that choreographed Code stuff is just insulting bullshit.
I find it bullshit that the NHL basically condones fighting. Other sports, you fight, you're gone from that game and are likely looking at a suspension. In hockey, you get a five-minute time-out. You really have to go apeshit for punishment comparable to other sports. The fact that there is a penalty called fighting places it within the rules of the game. Dumbass goonery.
Yup, agreed. I'd like to see automatic ejection for fighting, plus suspension with lost pay and a fine for the player and the team. Put an end to that crap. I’ve always hated how Rob Ray is viewed as a Sabres fan favorite. Not by me. He sucked and had one function – fighting. Listen to him try to pronounce Ruotsalainen and you can hear the brain damage.

This, on the other hand, should be allowed and encouraged:

The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
27 May 2021, 7:12pm

I remember that kinda sorta happened for real—Tiger Williams whacked Scotty Bowman over the head.

Also: Slapshot is one of the inner circle sports movies. So fucking good.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2021, 7:35pm
Kimmelweck wrote:

I remember that kinda sorta happened for real—Tiger Williams whacked Scotty Bowman over the head.

Jeez. I don’t even remember that incident. "...two-handed Scotty Bowman over the head, sending the Sabres coach to the floor unconscious." Wtf? I don't think that's allowed any more. :naughty:

And yeah, Slapshot is great. Alongside Bad News Bears, one of the great classic sports movies.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
27 May 2021, 7:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2021, 7:35pm
Kimmelweck wrote:

Jeez. I don’t even remember that incident. "...two-handed Scotty Bowman over the head, sending the Sabres coach to the floor unconscious." Wtf? I don't think that's allowed any more. :naughty:
Coincidentally, Bowman's playing career in the minors was finished after he fractured his skull from a slash. His head is a wood magnet.
And yeah, Slapshot is great. Alongside Bad News Bears, one of the great classic sports movies.
BNB (original) is my favourite sports movie, hands down. I've got a Bears jersey, complete with the Chico's bail bonds on the back.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2021, 8:06pm
BNB (original) is my favourite sports movie, hands down. I've got a Bears jersey, complete with the Chico's bail bonds on the back.
Caddyshack is up there too, but yeah, BNB is my favorite. It just captures so much of my actual Little League experience circa 1980-84, right down to the frumpy grumpy boozer coach. I could watch it endlessly.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
27 May 2021, 8:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Caddyshack is up there too, but yeah, BNB is my favorite. It just captures so much of my actual Little League experience circa 1980-84, right down to the frumpy grumpy boozer coach. I could watch it endlessly.
Yup. It completely rings true to everything I remember about playing organized baseball as a kid. Plus the Yankees are the villain team—pure verisimilitude.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2021, 8:52pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yup. It completely rings true to everything I remember about playing organized baseball as a kid. Plus the Yankees are the villain team—pure verisimilitude.
Damn, I saw the word verisimilitude earlier today and made a mental note to work it in somewhere. I missed my chance. :lol:

Starting at sunset, BNB followed by Star Wars ANH make the perfect 1-2 summer viewing for me. Like stepping into a time machine. Our team was Delaware Hose and we were basement dwellers for a year or two. I even sported a blond Tanner Boyle bowl cut in those days. They used to drop us off alone in our uniforms for 4 or 5 hours, aged 8-10, at local grocery stores with empty half pint milk cartons to beg for donations to support the league. Those were innocent times. Then the parents would spend the money on beer and hang out in the clubhouse upstairs from the candy stand.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
27 May 2021, 9:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Damn, I saw the word verisimilitude earlier today and made a mental note to work it in somewhere. I missed my chance. :lol:

Starting at sunset, BNB followed by Star Wars ANH make the perfect 1-2 summer viewing for me. Like stepping into a time machine. Our team was Delaware Hose and we were basement dwellers for a year or two. I even sported a blond Tanner Boyle bowl cut in those days. They used to drop us off alone in our uniforms for 4 or 5 hours, aged 8-10, at local grocery stores with empty half pint milk cartons to beg for donations to support the league. Those were innocent times. Then the parents would spend the money on beer and hang out in the clubhouse upstairs from the candy stand.
My weird memory is of a fat tough kid—what adults would call husky—who had a habit of farting when he swung, so he basically threatened anyone who laughed with a beating afterwards.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2021, 9:39pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
27 May 2021, 9:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

My weird memory is of a fat tough kid—what adults would call husky—who had a habit of farting when he swung, so he basically threatened anyone who laughed with a beating afterwards.
Ha! We had a fat tough kid on one of the other teams whose trademark was wearing his jockstrap and cup on the outside of his pants, in plain sight. He was a total villain.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Sorry, guys. I like the fourth line goon fights. :disshame:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
28 May 2021, 9:37am
^^^ Grapes Bernstein here. ^^^

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2021, 10:28am
JennyB wrote:
I mean, I'm not one of those people in the crowd who yell "fight fight fight," but it's fun when it happens.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
28 May 2021, 11:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I mean, I'm not one of those people in the crowd who yell "fight fight fight," but it's fun when it happens.
We went to a hockey game when we lived in Greensboro, a club associated with the Anaheim Ducks, and there were a number of fights, which was about the only time the crowd got excited. There was a couple in front of us who, whenever a fight broke out, put their kids on their shoulders so they could watch.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2021, 11:35am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
We went to a hockey game when we lived in Greensboro, a club associated with the Anaheim Ducks, and there were a number of fights, which was about the only time the crowd got excited. There was a couple in front of us who, whenever a fight broke out, put their kids on their shoulders so they could watch.
Yeah...I'm not THAT bad.

Everytime we would go to a Colorado Rockies (now NJ Devils) or Blues game, my dad would feel compelled to make the daddest dad joke of all dad jokes: "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out!" My dad was the king of dad jokes.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
28 May 2021, 11:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2021, 11:35am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Yeah...I'm not THAT bad.

Everytime we would go to a Colorado Rockies (now NJ Devils) or Blues game, my dad would feel compelled to make the daddest dad joke of all dad jokes: "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out!" My dad was the king of dad jokes.
Your eyeroll should have been severe enough to cause pain.