NHL 2021

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: NHL 2021

Post by Kimmelweck »

JennyB wrote:
28 May 2021, 11:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2021, 10:28am
JennyB wrote:
28 May 2021, 9:37am
Sorry, guys. I like the fourth line goon fights. :disshame:
^^^ Grapes Bernstein here. ^^^
I mean, I'm not one of those people in the crowd who yell "fight fight fight," but it's fun when it happens.
I used to enjoy the fights, but there are too many stories of lives ruined by it. I just don’t find punches to the head entertaining any more, and am more likely to feel disgusted by it. There are enough injuries as it is, and I don’t like seeing the guys risk serious injury for needless tough-guy b.s. At least fights are at a historic low in the NHL and the enforcer era seems to be mostly a thing of the past. Like I said earlier, I can at least understand a few occasional punches out of frustration, and a rough game can be entertaining, but I can do without the all-out angry brawls. And the staged fights where they give each other a pat afterwards for having put on a good show to appease the “fight, fight, fight” crowd – I find that especially lame. I’d rather be entertained by the skilled aspects of the game these days.

The Tragic Post-Hockey Life of an NHL ‘Enforcer’
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ry/587818/

“Ewen and Probert’s destinies intertwined after they first met on the ice. Probert was just a year older than Ewen, and he had a similarly grueling decade-plus career. After the two men retired from hockey—in 1998 and 2002, respectively—both started to forget things. They angered quickly. Each would be dead before his 50th birthday.”

“Todd’s behavior only became more erratic. During one episode, he choked Kelli and the police had to intervene. In time, depression and reclusiveness replaced Todd’s anger. He routinely became lost and disoriented in the streets around his own home.”

At least ^this^ kind of thing seems to have largely faded into the past, and I'm happy to see the enforcer role replaced by 4th liners with more hockey skill.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I feel this way about football now. Knowing what those collisions are doing to their brains, these guys are slowly killing themselves, or inducing dementia. It's just uncomfortable to me know, especially when I think back to playing football as a kid and laughing about "getting your bell rung." Sports and competition is one thing, but not at that price.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2021, 4:58pm
I feel this way about football now. Knowing what those collisions are doing to their brains, these guys are slowly killing themselves, or inducing dementia. It's just uncomfortable to me know, especially when I think back to playing football as a kid and laughing about "getting your bell rung." Sports and competition is one thing, but not at that price.
My interest in sport has been waning steadily and this stuff is a big part of it. Football is especially heinous.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
28 May 2021, 10:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
My interest in sport has been waning steadily and this stuff is a big part of it. Football is especially heinous.
The only sports Ive really watched much in the past few years are baseball and basketball. I used to listen to hockey on the radio as a kid because it wasn't really televised much or was televised late at night after the games was over. Fights dont translate well to the radio.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Pain

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
30 May 2021, 10:55am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
28 May 2021, 10:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The only sports Ive really watched much in the past few years are baseball and basketball. I used to listen to hockey on the radio as a kid because it wasn't really televised much or was televised late at night after the games was over. Fights dont translate well to the radio.
Rick Jeanneret (Sabres announcer) used to make the fights translate really well to radio “AAAAND HEEEEERE THEYYYY GOOOO!” But those kinds of fights are rarer these days, and he’s on his last legs after 50 years, only working a fraction of the games now. I only tuned in for a few games this season and mostly just checked scores online because the team was trash.

Sitting in front of the TV for 1pm Bills games used to be my routine and I’d hardly consider missing it. After a win, I’d probably also watch the 4pm game and Sunday night football too. Several years ago though, I started listening to the Bills on the radio with headphones instead. 16 games x 3 hours turned into 48 hours each season that I got a ton of yard and house work done instead of sitting on the couch. I’ll still follow the Bills, but it’s no longer the central activity it once was for me, and I never watch any of the other games anymore. I think I’ve watched 30 minutes of Super Bowl combined over the last 5 years.

So I’ve cut back on sports considerably. Amazing how much time I used to waste. I’m still a sucker for World Cup soccer every 4 years though, and maybe postseason baseball.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Inder wrote:
30 May 2021, 1:44pm
Pain
I think the Leafs will get it done tomorrow at home, but damn, Montreal are sure making them work for it.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Oh for crying out loud Toronto…

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Sorry, inder
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Flex wrote:
31 May 2021, 10:59pm
Sorry, inder
Kimmelweck wrote:
31 May 2021, 9:18pm
Every goddamn year I let myself hope. Then PAIN

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Inder wrote:
31 May 2021, 11:17pm
Flex wrote:
31 May 2021, 10:59pm
Sorry, inder
Kimmelweck wrote:
31 May 2021, 9:18pm
Every goddamn year I let myself hope. Then PAIN

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Thankfully, as a Sabres fan, playoff heartache is….not an issue. :disshame:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kimmelweck wrote:
28 May 2021, 4:24pm
JennyB wrote:
28 May 2021, 11:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2021, 10:28am
JennyB wrote:
28 May 2021, 9:37am
Sorry, guys. I like the fourth line goon fights. :disshame:
^^^ Grapes Bernstein here. ^^^
I mean, I'm not one of those people in the crowd who yell "fight fight fight," but it's fun when it happens.
I used to enjoy the fights, but there are too many stories of lives ruined by it. I just don’t find punches to the head entertaining any more, and am more likely to feel disgusted by it. There are enough injuries as it is, and I don’t like seeing the guys risk serious injury for needless tough-guy b.s. At least fights are at a historic low in the NHL and the enforcer era seems to be mostly a thing of the past. Like I said earlier, I can at least understand a few occasional punches out of frustration, and a rough game can be entertaining, but I can do without the all-out angry brawls. And the staged fights where they give each other a pat afterwards for having put on a good show to appease the “fight, fight, fight” crowd – I find that especially lame. I’d rather be entertained by the skilled aspects of the game these days.

The Tragic Post-Hockey Life of an NHL ‘Enforcer’
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ry/587818/

“Ewen and Probert’s destinies intertwined after they first met on the ice. Probert was just a year older than Ewen, and he had a similarly grueling decade-plus career. After the two men retired from hockey—in 1998 and 2002, respectively—both started to forget things. They angered quickly. Each would be dead before his 50th birthday.”

“Todd’s behavior only became more erratic. During one episode, he choked Kelli and the police had to intervene. In time, depression and reclusiveness replaced Todd’s anger. He routinely became lost and disoriented in the streets around his own home.”

At least ^this^ kind of thing seems to have largely faded into the past, and I'm happy to see the enforcer role replaced by 4th liners with more hockey skill.
You're right. I didn't even think of it this way, which is strange, because it's the very reason I am uncomfortable watching football. Thank you.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

:lol: