NHL 2021

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

NHL 2021

Post by Kimmelweck »

It will be a nice distraction to have hockey back this week, so I thought I’d start a new thread for the NHL 2021 season. In the middle of winter, when the dark of night descends early, there’s nothing like the warm glow of the ice on the TV screen. It’s like sitting in front of a cozy fireplace. Anyone else looking forward to the shortened season?

For your listening pleasure, I present the sweet lullaby voice of Rick Jeanneret, and one of the greatest calls in NHL history.…

Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: NHL 2021

Post by Inder »

Our good guy veteran/part-time fourth-line centre got waived as a paper move and is trending locally on Twitter, in case anyone was wondering how the Leafs' first week is going.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Inder wrote:
17 Jan 2021, 7:11pm
Our good guy veteran/part-time fourth-line centre got waived as a paper move and is trending locally on Twitter, in case anyone was wondering how the Leafs' first week is going.
Yeah I saw the Leafs had waived Spezza. He seemed good at faceoffs at least. Wonder what the point of that move was. Salary cap related?

Also, how’s Zach Bogosian doing for you guys? He was useless in Buffalo, when he wasn't out with injury. I saw that he had a nice hit on (checks notes) William Nylander the other night though. At least they’re off to a better start than the Sabres. 10 months without game action has left us embarrassingly out of shape.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Kimmelweck wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 5:05am
Inder wrote:
Yeah I saw the Leafs had waived Spezza. He seemed good at faceoffs at least. Wonder what the point of that move was. Salary cap related?

Also, how’s Zach Bogosian doing for you guys? He was useless in Buffalo, when he wasn't out with injury. I saw that he had a nice hit on (checks notes) William Nylander the other night though. At least they’re off to a better start than the Sabres. 10 months without game action has left us embarrassingly out of shape.
Yeah, it was cap-related maneuvering to allow get him some days off and bring up taxi squad players when he's waiver-exempt.

Bogo has been... not great, but not an outright disaster so far. Excited to see what Lehtonen can do tonight — hope he lives up to the billing.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Inder wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 6:59pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 5:05am
Inder wrote:

Yeah, it was cap-related maneuvering to allow get him some days off and bring up taxi squad players when he's waiver-exempt.

Bogo has been... not great, but not an outright disaster so far. Excited to see what Lehtonen can do tonight — hope he lives up to the billing.
Bogo never lived up to expectations here, but he wasn’t the worst of our problems. At his current price he’s probably an ok vet presence. Hopefully he works out for Toronto. Real nice guy and as I understand he still does some charity stuff in the Buffalo area.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Holler with the quote of the year:

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I enjoy watching NHL on tv, but nothing beats minor league hockey live. I watched the Glens Falls Red Wings win the Calder Cup - they've gone away but - G'wan, Adirondack Thunder!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Inder wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 8:25pm
As a Sabres fan, in fact Buffalo sports in general, I approve of this.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

After 2 weeks of Sabres games postponed due to Covid, to have them back and losing again is comforting.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

I think my favorite part of Buffalo Sabres hockey is thinking about the coming draft. I especially like hoping for an early pick before our season is even a quarter over. Will we finish near last, get bumped back by the lottery, and select a lackluster forward? Will we nab a promising defensive prospect that will take several years of development before even sniffing the NHL? Or will we reach for a college goalie phenom that we can develop for 4-5 years before he jumps to another franchise as a free agent without having played a single period for us?

Maybe we’ll get really lucky and wind up with a generational prospect who never lives up to expectations because of our dumpster-fire coaching. Mmmmm, that’s good stuff.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

What's the general attitude towards ownership like? The Pegulas seem to like getting involved in things...

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Inder wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 2:02pm
What's the general attitude towards ownership like? The Pegulas seem to like getting involved in things...
Yeah, our ownership is viewed as overly meddlesome for sure. It’s nice to have their deep pockets, but Terry Pegula never really ceded any major decision making to anyone with reliable hockey expertise, like an experienced director of hockey ops. He seems more interested in the Bills now, though he has the sense at least to allow Beane to run that organization and doesn’t meddle. I wish he’d use that model for the Sabres. He’s pretty much left the running of the Sabres to his wife Kim, as more or less her pet project. It’s frustrating, and most fans, and even the players, seem to be tuning out.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

I’m hoping Buffalo luck’s into drafting Owen Power, 6’5” 214lb Canadian defenseman for the U of Michigan. But only if he comes with a Homeresque song/montage.